Running

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My preferance is running outdoors. I find it invigorates and challenges me not only the terrain but the weather so I guess I find it harder in a good way.

I find the treadmill too tedious and repetative.

Karen
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is definitely harder for me to run outside. I started out running on the treadmill, then after a few months switched to outdoor running and noticed a huge difference. But, now I only like running outside! I would highly recommend it. I get bored on the treadmill. Not only do you get to see all different things outside, you get fresh air and you feel like you're getting a better workout!

Also when running outside you have to work to maintain your own pace whereas the treadmill does it for you = less effort.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I HATE running on the treadmill. HATE it. So, for me, running inside is way way way harder. I seriously want to give up at like 3 miles. Outdoors, I'm up to 10 and climbing towards my half. I'll take an outdoor run anyday!
  • Nownourish
    Nownourish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree - I HAVE to run outside-I like being out in the open air :smile: I also like to run either early morning or late evening and that avoids problems if the weather is too hot (not that I am an expert runner by any means!!!!)
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is one of the most boring things in the world. i love running but HAVE to do it outside so i'm not bored out of my mind.

What she said! Running outside is definately harder as you have slight gradients, weather etc to deal with. Also your sweat evaporates better than in the gym
    too much information? Sorry but it's true!! I only resort to the 'dreadmill' when I am injured or weather is awful.

Just sayin........!
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I run nearly five miles a day on the treadmill, however put me outside and I am lucky to complete a 5k... having said that, outside is definitely harder to me.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to not want to run outside because I thought it would be more difficult, but I seem to get a better workout by running outside. I wear my Polar HRM while running and I seem to burn about 30 calories more outside than I do inside for the same workouts. It may not sound like much, but I'd rather burn more calories if I can. Also there is more motivation when you run outside because you need to get back to where you started, where on the treadmill you just hit stop.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had been running on a treadmill for 3 years and didn't lose a pound. The minute I took it outside weight started to melt off. For me it was by far harder running outside, on the treadmill the belt helps you run, whereas outside it's just you.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Physically inside is easier. No hills, treadmill does some of the work for you (unless you keep it at an incline of 1 or higher, then more similar)

Now, that being said, I HATE running on a treadmill with a passion!!! I can run 13 miles in 100 heat, but get me on a treadmill and 5 minutes in I want to pull my hair out!!! I've run on a treadmill twice this year, and I"m hoping that was the last. I avoid it at all costs. But I have friends who hate running outside. You have to find what works for you. When I'm forced to do it, I set the incline at 2 or 3 and do intervals. 2 minutes at 9, 1 minutes at 7 or around 35-40 minutes. That's all I can take, or I"ll just lose my mind.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    My asthma is exercise induced and depends on the weather so it's usually easier for me to run inside. Plus on a treadmill I can set a pace and stick with it. Usually when I run outside I tend to go to fast and tire easier. Where I live there is a lot of pollution and hpa days which caution people with lung problems not to go outside. So for me, inside is easier and safer. I enjoy being outside but it is very unpredictable for me and I may not get as good or as long of a workout in. Not that I'd rather be indoors...
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    In my opinion:

Running outside is harder physically. I always imagine it is like I'm pushing the earth away from me as I go. So its physically tougher and I can't run very fast. But mentally I can go forever.

Running inside is harder mentally. I get to a point where I just want to hop off of the treadmill. Its easier physically because I just have to make my legs move and I can run faster. But I want to stop after like 20mins.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    From my little experience, I would say that both present challenges. However, I would vote that running outside presents more challenges than running inside (track or machine).

Part of running outside is uneven terrain, hills, vehicles, bikers, dogs, rain and bugs. All of which I will happily deal with because running out side also has sunshine & fresh air!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    mentally, outside is easier for me. I get into the zone and can go for hours.

physically, treadmill is slightly less effort, objectively. I can do a mile several seconds faster, consistently, on tm vs. outside.
    by the same token, treadmill running is less effective in training for an outdoor race (that is to say, any of my races as I don't do treadmill competitions, lol), so I resort to it only if I can't leave the house, or if it's dark or stormy.
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In my experience running outside is harder.

I used to run on a treadmill and could easily go for miles. As soon as I started outdoors I realised that the treadmill seems to lie. I think the treadmill, due to the movement of the track, actually assists a little with the motion. Also when running in the great outdoors you have no control of incline. you will never get a flat running surface like you have on a treadmill (unless running round a running track of course which I have not tried yet).

I will never choose to run on a treadmill now and prefer to bear the elements.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I HATE running on the treadmill. HATE it. So, for me, running inside is way way way harder. I seriously want to give up at like 3 miles. Outdoors, I'm up to 10 and climbing towards my half. I'll take an outdoor run anyday!

Completely agree with you. Nothing more boring than running for 30mins and not go anywhere, plus for me as I have a GPS watch, running on a treadmill would be a complete waste of time.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    It is definitely harder for me to run outside. I started out running on the treadmill, then after a few months switched to outdoor running and noticed a huge difference. But, now I only like running outside! I would highly recommend it. I get bored on the treadmill. Not only do you get to see all different things outside, you get fresh air and you feel like you're getting a better workout!

Also when running outside you have to work to maintain your own pace whereas the treadmill does it for you = less effort.

Very true, I just keep running the same path.. Doing the C25K, the only reason why I asked was because yesterday was my first run in the rain!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill and decided to go outside after the stupid thing finally broke :sad:

Outside was harder at first because the mill keeps your pace but now I find the treadmill harder just because it completely bores me to death, I only use the mill because it's too damn hot to go outside in Phoenix from mid june through early Sept.

I like the outside because hard day or easy day I can choose a different route each time to keep me motivated
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i just started running outside (which is crazy to say since in 2 weeks i will be running my third 5k) and i think i like outside better. however, because my office has a gym i workout almost daily and run 4 days on a treadmill. sunday's i run outside - and i enjoy it more.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would only run indoors if that were my only option. I love the trails, running through the woods, up hills, down hills, jumping over roots, rocks, and running through streams. To me that is the most natural form of running. I run on the road when I have to to get my miles in... but really try to avoid sidewalks. They hurt!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    I would only run indoors if that were my only option. I love the trails, running through the woods, up hills, down hills, jumping over roots, rocks, and running through streams. To me that is the most natural form of running. I run on the road when I have to to get my miles in... but really try to avoid sidewalks. They hurt!

What do you mean it hurts?