Options
    Major back problems in 3...2....1
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    for reference this is the lift they were doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfw8FYZi9QI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6agvB5mBvY&feature=related

again, not saying that it was a good idea for them to have untrained athletes attempting to do this with heavy weights (or at all), but it's not quite as much of a "WTH" situation if you see what they were going for vs. if you thought they were just doing a clean & jerk

It did seem like one or two of them were close to doing it right. But seriously, that is not a particularly safe lift any way even if you are able to do it properly. There is a reason why you target muscle groups in lifting.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    for reference this is the lift they were doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfw8FYZi9QI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6agvB5mBvY&feature=related

again, not saying that it was a good idea for them to have untrained athletes attempting to do this with heavy weights (or at all), but it's not quite as much of a "WTH" situation if you see what they were going for vs. if you thought they were just doing a clean & jerk

It did seem like one or two of them were close to doing it right. But seriously, that is not a particularly safe lift any way even if you are able to do it properly. There is a reason why you target muscle groups in lifting.
    agreed.
    happily, I've never hear of any of our local CrossFit facilities teaching this lift, ever.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    6a00d83451b8c369e201348750182d970c-pi.gif

haha
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    and there's a random three legged dog walking through....

w t f

LMAO
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I couldn't watch the whole thing. All I have to say is that when I go to my Functional Training class tonight, before I do any cleans, OH presses, or deadlifts, I'm going to give my trainers a hug and thank them for knowing and insisting on safe, effective lifting technique!!!!

what has functional training got to do with the basic lifts? Anyone can teach basic lifts.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    when you form Nazis actually get to lift something which is not machine based or a freeweight - like when you are moving furniture or another object that is not a bar with weights on the end. When you actually do that, you may notice that yoru body can move in many different directions -

if you actually break down what they are doing in the video and look at it in a truly functional manner you will observe correct bracing of the lumbar, superb movement in the hip and thorasic, stability in the rotator cuff and movement in the shoulder and the all important ankle flexion. Joint by joint correct functional form - look at strongmen/women contests, look at what used to be the overhead press at the Olympics at how the spine moved.

Seriously, you people are the sort of misinformed idiots that I expect to read comments from on YouTube, no wonder more and more people are disabling comments when no nothing lunkers abound.

The very truth is, the brain is much smarter and the body much much smarter - lifting is a science but also an art, very few people get injured by lifting - most common death is Darwinian - BB BP for PB's whilst working out alone - bye bye wind pipe. Injury is slight, except in seasoned professionals who push just that little bit too much and tear muscles from tendons.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    when you form Nazis actually get to lift something which is not machine based or a freeweight - like when you are moving furniture or another object that is not a bar with weights on the end. When you actually do that, you may notice that yoru body can move in many different directions -

if you actually break down what they are doing in the video and look at it in a truly functional manner you will observe correct bracing of the lumbar, superb movement in the hip and thorasic, stability in the rotator cuff and movement in the shoulder and the all important ankle flexion. Joint by joint correct functional form - look at strongmen/women contests, look at what used to be the overhead press at the Olympics at how the spine moved.

Seriously, you people are the sort of misinformed idiots that I expect to read comments from on YouTube, no wonder more and more people are disabling comments when no nothing lunkers abound.

The very truth is, the brain is much smarter and the body much much smarter - lifting is a science but also an art, very few people get injured by lifting - most common death is Darwinian - BB BP for PB's whilst working out alone - bye bye wind pipe. Injury is slight, except in seasoned professionals who push just that little bit too much and tear muscles from tendons.

Oh your a little charmer arn't you? lol

Seriously though, how can you defend what these kids are doing? Literally, it is amazing none of them dropped the bar on their heads!! No matter what gloss you put on it, what they were doing was dangerous.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

Oh your a little charmer arn't you? lol

Seriously though, how can you defend what these kids are doing? Literally, it is amazing none of them dropped the bar on their heads!! No matter what gloss you put on it, what they were doing was dangerous.

But they did not and if you lifted you would know that human instinct doesn't really allow for bar dropping on heads. As far as charm, rather be someone who knows what is correct rather than full of charm and insidious know nothing comments.

Now, apart from the charm comment, tell me and everyone who knows about lifting what these people are doing wrong. Oh mistress of wonderfulness. name me one qualification you have to judge.

That's right, none, you do not know. As is the case of 99.9% of the people commenting on the thread. It is pathetic, and everyone on this thread will quite happily overextend their neck when doing the daddy of all screwed up exercises the supine crunch or will happily do the easy tricep dip off a step and wonder why they have shoulder problems

HAPPY GAFY everyone on this thread who knows nothing but can comment on something.
  • DeadliftDivaNeis
    Options
    I couldn't watch the whole thing. All I have to say is that when I go to my Functional Training class tonight, before I do any cleans, OH presses, or deadlifts, I'm going to give my trainers a hug and thank them for knowing and insisting on safe, effective lifting technique!!!!

what has functional training got to do with the basic lifts? Anyone can teach basic lifts.

Simmer down...I learned to lift, and still lift, in FT and am going tonight. That's all. The *point* was that I'm reminded that the individual trainers I work with know what they're doing. Geez.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

What I saw was constant foot shuffle, everyone having their feet in different positions, changing their grip at random points, trying to hold onto something while they were losing balance, and a whole bunch of other shoddy lifting.

If you ever watch someone lift something in a similar fashion in the Olympics, or any other real weightlifting competition, they will never be moving their legs back on forth, there is never any foot shuffling, every single movement is accurate and precise. These people were all over the place, and without proper form (i.e. not moving all over the place), you're going to injure yourself.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that I made it halfway through the video. Guess a part of me wanted to see this three-legged dog everyone kept talking about. Poor thing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When a person bends their knee, it is not supposed to bend inward like that. It is very bad for the knee. That is my main concern. Even if they were doing body weight squats, they should not be bending their knees like that.

The lift does require them to change grip, but when it is ever normal to use your abs to support the bar, while shifting grip....
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    lol i saw "crossfit" at the beginning and KNEW it was gonna be lulz
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The whole point of correct form is to lift weight safely.
    If you're lifting a very light weight, you can get away with being sloppy. The closer you get to your max weight, the more likely you are to hurt yourself.
    These folks were clearly close to and beyond their max weights.

Unsafe. Unsmart. Unbelievable.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    That's actually how lifters in that sport do it. Whether it's safe or not I don't know but they ARE doing it right.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    now I HAVE to see it...bump for later.....
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    YIKES!!!!
  • Hama900
    Hama900 Posts: 25
    Options
    Clean and Jerk with 5kg? This is seriously pathetic, It's no problem for the women there but the guys in the video should do better -.-

WATCH THE GUY @ 3:37 AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA He is resting the weight on his belly xDDD