thoughts on yoga?

Options
Considering starting yoga but always felt it was for the "skinny" people and wouldn't benefit me. But I am reconsidering. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Replies

• PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a life changer... see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    I LOVE yoga! I'm a bit sad since the only kind my gym offers is hot yoga and I'm really not into that. However, I used to do yoga all the time on my own and nothing else I've tried has given me the same feeling of having worked and stretched every muscle, as well as relaxing mentally and physically.

If you feel self-conscious about going to a class, get a DVD and do it at home. Either way, I think you'd be surprised.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    definitely not just for skinny people. personally, i love it. losses my body, relaxes my mind, strengthens my core. if you want something that burns more calories and has some of the benefits, i would look into Pilates.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a life changer... see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

I can't watch this at work, is this the "Arthur transformation" yoga video? That is AWESOME!
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's exclusively for skinny people, but I do think certain movements will be uncomfortable the larger you are. You will still get all the flexibility and strength benefits though... I would imagine even more so with the strength benefits, because if you're heavier you're going to have more resistance with certain movements. If it's something that interests you, just give it a shot... if you're capable of doing the movements then you'll receive the same benefits everyone else who's capable of doing them will.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, yoga is the wrong way to go.
    Yoga is to tone your body, strengthen your stability - physically and mentally, increase your flexibility, control breathing and a lot of people swear that it calms them down and decreases anxiety and stress levels.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love yoga - it really helps with strength, balance, flexibility and general wellbeing. And I like the mindfulness of it - being aware of your body as you're doing movements, rather than leaping around mindlessly.

There are lots of free yoga workouts on youtube. I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvCiVsER-Cs
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Yoga, but it isn't all that I do. I am more of a runner, weights kinda girl, but I find mixing in hot yoga once a week or so is extremly relaxing. I like to do it on Sunday/Monday mornings to start my week off right :)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Do it! Do it!
    <3 Yoga and no it is not for the skinny people.
    I have 200+ lbs people in my hot yoga and some of them are better then me.
    It really leans you out.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I can't watch this at work, is this the "Arthur transformation" yoga video? That is AWESOME!

It is,
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh 200 pounds and I started Yoga. It is a great stress relief. I was sweating by the end of the workout and found it was difficult but not impossiable to do. The next day, my whole body was sore, so I know I got a great work out and de-stressed... a win, win.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do yoga in my own home. I got some of my moves off an old video I have (the VHS kind), some off the net and some from fitness magazines. There are some I can't do where I have epilepsy (seizure triggers when too much blood gets to the brain) but there are a lot of others that I can, and I feel so great after doing it!!! And, I weigh in at 229.8 pounds at current. Some of the weight I lost? I can thank it all to yoga. And it just plain provides a great rush!!! :love:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yoga benefits everyone! Do it!

Take some classes and let the instructor know you're new so she can show you modifications for poses.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yoga is wonderful for everyone and every body time and every condition. I was able to more easily move from lethargy to at least moderate exercise after regular yoga. Not to mention feeling calm and centered all of the time!
    Do it, you'll be glad you did.
    Don't worry if you don't get the poses right on the first day. Nobody does. The tiny girl in the middle of class doing a tri-pod headstand probably couldn't do a proper downward dog on her first day.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do yoga in my own home. I got some of my moves off an old video I have (the VHS kind), some off the net and some from fitness magazines. There are some I can't do where I have epilepsy (seizure triggers when too much blood gets to the brain) but there are a lot of others that I can, and I feel so great after doing it!!! And, I weigh in at 229.8 pounds at current. Some of the weight I lost? I can thank it all to yoga. And it just plain provides a great rush!!! :love:
  • rainbowcarrie
    rainbowcarrie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dislike yoga a lot. I believe it is due to the fact that I am clumsy, uncoordinated, and have no balance. It would probably help me improve on those things though. It's just too slow for me. But I know quite a few people that love it. And it is for people of all sizes in my opinion.
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    I love Yoga and think it is a great addition to any fitness regime. It is sooooo relaxing and feels so nice to stretch out those muscles. I do some yoga stretches after circuit training and also a class on its own. I started when I was well over 200 lbs and noticed a difference in my flexibility straight away.

Edited to add: I definitely recommend going to a proper reputable class rather than just watching a dvd, the teacher will help you get the poses right and adjust for any injuries or areas of weakness.
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love to do all different kinds of workouts, but if someone told me I could only do one form of exercise I would definitely pick yoga. It becomes even more essential to fitness as you get older. Yoga can improve your cardiovascular system, strength, flexibility and balance all in one workout. It's not just for skinny people. It's absolutely fantastic for overall fitness.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, yoga is the wrong way to go.
    Yoga is to tone your body, strengthen your stability - physically and mentally, increase your flexibility, control breathing and a lot of people swear that it calms them down and decreases anxiety and stress levels.

I disagree with this... Yoga has helped with my flexibility and balance and core to such an extent that my aerobic exercises are easier (I hike, mountain climb and bike)... My endurance is better and my flexibility is off the charts...

I think it shouldn't be the ONLY thing you do to try to lose weight... But it can help
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I just started going to yoga classes. There are people of all ages, body types, and physical ability there. I like it as it adds a balance to my life - quite a contrast to the heavy lifting and punching and kicking I am doing throughout the week. The meditative aspect to it is also very interesting.

Good luck to you.