My Jaw Hit the Floor

Options

Replies

• LynRhea
    LynRhea Posts: 15
    Options
    What a train wreck! No way anyone was certified to coach anything. Poor dog!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    for reference this is the lift they were doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfw8FYZi9QI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6agvB5mBvY&feature=related

again, not saying that it was a good idea for them to have untrained athletes attempting to do this with heavy weights (or at all), but it's not quite as much of a "WTH" situation if you see what they were going for vs. if you thought they were just doing a clean & jerk

^^ This - it wasn't cross fit, they were doing a "strongman" lift. One of the gyms I go to has several amateur and on pro strongman and that is one of the lifts they do.

The beginning of the video says crossfit. Just because they are doing some super horrible *kitten* version of power cleans followed by some dumb foot and hip movement followed by a push press doesn't mean it isn't a crossfit gym.

It may be a crossfit gym but the name of the video is Revival Strongman. not saying they should or shouldn't be doing this lift and I no nothing about crossfit but that was a Strongman lift.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the one guy who held it up with his stomach
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options

that is how the lift is done in Strongman
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed by the Crossfitizens or by the people who refuse to read that lift is a continental clean; NOT a power clean.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Made my back spasam just watching.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed by the Crossfitizens or by the people who refuse to read that lift is a continental clean; NOT a power clean.

^^ Exactly!!
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    Maybe that's the tail end of a stripping session.

LOL I needed a good laugh. Thank you !!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

that is how the lift is done in Strongman

Ok, I saw the video of the correct lift and it looks like they do hold it to their body at their abs, but they don't do a partial back bend and support the weight of the bar with their abs (as they did in the video of this post).

I also didn't see the experienced lifters jumping into a wobbly partial split squat and bending their knees improperly.

This isn't about judging. I have had injuries and I am a mother. I am concerned for the safety of those teens, so that they will be able to continue to move forward athletically. I'm not saying I would be any better at the lift. I would be more cautious in the learning phase (as I am right now).

Also, I was not familiar with these types of weights, so I thought they were lifting heavier than they are. But, clearly, whatever the weight is, it's heavy for them.
  • gazbo1986
    Options
    You guys are pathetic, myfitnesspal is a site built around people trying to improve themselves and you make fun of other people in a video where they're clearly beginners and learning the ropes.

every one has to start somewhere, remember that. you guys should no better than others how it feels to be judged.

EDIT: also the majority of those girls are hot. Jelly much?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    is it 'good form to have alternating grips when doing the clean? aka: right hand up, left hand down?
  • kealambert
    Options
    You guys are pathetic, myfitnesspal is a site built around people trying to improve themselves and you make fun of other people in a video where they're clearly beginners and learning the ropes.

every one has to start somewhere, remember that. you guys should no better than others how it feels to be judged.

true
  • kealambert
    Options
    also, this is a good testament to the difficulty in lifting heavy and is eye-opening for many who haven't lifted before I'm sure
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eeeks! My wrists hurt just watching that!

As for "everyone has to start somewhere", - - - those everyones need to start lighter and learn good form and work their way up.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My back hurts just watching that. :huh: And...I'll admit that I had to go back and watch just to catch the 3-legged dog. :laugh:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    also, this is a good testament to the difficulty in lifting heavy and is eye-opening for many who haven't lifted before I'm sure

not really cause A) its light bumper plates and more importatly b) its not proper heavy lifting. As far as a "continental clean" if that is the proper form for it, then it can go back to whatever continent it came from.
  • kealambert
    Options

not really cause A) its light bumper plates and more importatly b) its not proper heavy lifting. As far as a "continental clean" if that is the proper form for it, then it can go back to whatever continent it came from.

haha, yeah i've never seen that taught before

well, I have always defined 'heavy lifting' as any weight that is difficult for you to complete more than 5 sets of, so it's heavy to them

but, yes, the form is atrocious, which is why i'd say it's eye-opening for them
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    IKR?
    Some serious reading comprehension fail on this thread.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

Derek Poundstone doing the Continental Clean.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6agvB5mBvY

It is not something that is easy on the back, but most laymen who see an Olympic Clean and Jerk think the same thing. It is done this way because it is done using an axle and not an olympic barbell.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    LOL I just read the comments before attempting to watch the video... now I won't watch it. Sounds like it will hurt. :)