Options
2»

Replies

• no1canadianangel
    Options
    This is an approximate...

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

I weigh 245 and this calculation tells me anywhere between 90-200gr of protein a day... I definately have over 110gr a day
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, at least for today it looks like you are eating a pretty well-rounded diet, no processed foods, "empty" carbs, etc. Though I would suggest increasing your protein intake. (there is a gauge at the bottom of each day's diary where you log food that will tell you how many grams of everything you should be trying to stick to.)
    If you've just started eating better, it may take your body a little while to get used to the change. Just do your best, but If you are absolutely starving to death, try upping your cals by maybe 150 extra per day, until you get used to it, then slowly drop back down to where you want to be.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hold the phone Chuck... take live tuna and you feed them mayonaise, this is great, call Starkist.

Sorry, line from Night Shift.

Seriously, it is your first day. Your body needs to adjust. Lowering simple carbs will help, since they make you hungry faster. When my doctor advised me to drop a few, I started in with all of the questions about what food and blah blah blah and he simply told me to read the South Beach book. That was 5 years ago. I still follow the basic philosophies and it really teaches you good food from bad. Good fats from bad. Good carbs from bad.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    You're eating a lot of dried fruit and calorie dense foods that aren't bad but they're not going to really fill you up. Eat more protein, like chicken, fish, lean beef, etc. Substitute the dried fruit for fresh fruit, eat more veggies and you shouldn't be as hungry.
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    Question... are u a (partial) vegatarian? I saw tuna, but no lean red meat, or lean chicken.. Tuna is good for you yes but you need more protein. another post said veggies like celery, if you are (partial) vegatarian then you can add peanut butter to celery to make up protein. protein stays with you longer than carbs. so you feel feller longer.. and give your body time to adjust to your new lifestyle. keep up the good work. its alot of trial and error... :flowerforyou:
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey 3 months ago, I was hungry all the time, primarily because I ate all of the time and had no limitations. I found that when I changed my foods to healthier choices, increased my fiber and protein intake and stayed within my MFP goals, the hunger went away. If I was craving something, I set a timer for 30min and if I was still hungry after that, I ate something. Eventually the cravings went away as my body adjusted to my new habits.

If you're hungry, eat something sensible and healthy. Ultimately you set your goal to lose 1-2 lbs/week and as long as you are in a deficit of 3500+ calories at the end of the week, you should lose weight as a general rule.

Feel free to message me or add as friend if you need any support.

Best of luck on your new lifestyle journey!
  • xxpipsxx
    xxpipsxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you first start you will be really hungry for a while what ever you are doing, your body has got into a routine and it will take time to break it, it won't last though, once you push through it you will find you get less hungry and generally think about food less, at least i have. Personally I think a lot of it was in my mind as now that I am happy to be eating less as I'm am so happy with the weight loss I really very rarely actually feel hunger
  • judylynnh
    judylynnh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i started to diet many times. Each time it usually takes about 3 days to adjust to the amount of food i am eating. hopefully this will be the last diet i start.
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    I went from coffee, skip lunch most days, and fast food binge daily diet to MFP. I never was real hungry during the day before I started, but when I started to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner I found myself turning into a hunger maniac come feeding time for the first couple weeks. Almost evil >:} I've since stuck some fruit and veggie snacks in between meals and it's all good now.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well, that's pretty weird. I looked at your diary and there's nothing there. Odd. Hmm. Did you maybe delete everything? I'm wondering if there's some issue with Myfitnesspal right now. I swear - there's nothing there.
  • cakewar
    cakewar Posts: 11
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry, these are the changes I would make after taking a quick peek at your food diary:

Eat a lot less fat. You are eating almost twice the recommended amount. While someone else has said that fat helps with satiety, the amount of excess fat calories (360) is more than one of my average meals. If you could have one more meal in your day, rather than a bunch of nuts, I think you would feel less hungry.

Increase your protein a little bit. I personally don't eat more protein than what MFP suggests for me so we're at the same intake level but I'm not hungry on 40-50 grams per day. I do have non-fat, non-sugar added protein shakes twice per day, mostly for the convenience but I would agree with those who say a lean whole-food protein source (like your water-packed tuna) is better.

Eat fruit without added sugar or fat. I don't think you need to cut out dried fruit as some have said but don't get the kind with added sugar or oil (more calories for the same nutrition as fresh berries or fresh bananas). I eat Organic Dried Mangoes from Whole Foods which are really sweet without any added sugar so I don't think they are so unhealthy that they need to be avoided. I'm satisfied from 2-3 slices which is around 50 calories, the same as a serving of fresh fruit. I would also substitute a plate of high-fiber vegetables for the banana chips, or anything deep fried, to get the most fullness for my calories.

I also eat a meal every 3-4 hours and try to space my calories evenly throughout the day as well as drink two glasses of water in between meals. Both of these things (and obviously the quality of my food) really keep me from feeling hungry. I hope this helps!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Got to tell you, not normally, but, I've recently bumped my cardio into overdrive and am doing 90 minutes, 7 days a week on my spin bike burning huge calories and it has caused a monstrous hunger in me. Luckily my caloric allowance has also increased hugely though I have a hard time meeting my daily goal but I am seriously hungry now. I know it's my body telling me what it requires but it's hard to stay the course when you want to eat everything in sight.

THe only thing I can recommend is stay just under your daily max no matter what. And try filler foods like oatmeal, almonds, and the like to help you feel full.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods work for me.

THIS!
  • lelupa1
    lelupa1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with cutting out the dried fruit. However, a grumbling stomach can also be mild nausea. Sometimes a swig of pepto will fix what eating cant. This is especially true if you take aleeve and advil. Hang in there, you have just started and need to fiddle around with what works for you.