pet question

Options
13»

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My hamster is kinda big but not too big lol. I make sure I feed her the proper amount. She also knows when to "stop" eating.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My dogs get leftovers and grease (if there is any), dribbled on their food. They aren't overweight but they are also very active!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I believe in order for a dog to be poisoned by garlic or onion, they would have to eat quite a lot, like an entire onion. A little bit mixed up in some meat is ok.

My pets are not overweight. I wish it was so easy to control my own weight. If we could just get a bag of people chow and you could eat so much per day and you would stay the correct weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would feed your cat a high quality canned food. Cats shouldn't have dry food, as it's not what they were meant to eat. They are meant to get all their nutrition, including water, from animals they would eat in the wild. Cats don't even naturally drink much water, as their ancestors came from the desert where there was little, if any, water to be found. Many cats have a difficult time eating and digesting dry food. (Making your own cat food is a little difficult. It's more than just cutting up some raw chicken, like a lot of people think.)
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    This is actually true, I dont know about Turkey fat but if your careful not to overfeed your cat you could prevent overweight gain
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have 2 beagles...Brady and Gordie. Brady weighed 21 lbs when he got fixed last year and the vet said that was a good weight...less than a year later, he was at 32 pounds :-O. But then i got my 2nd beagle, so they started chasing each other playing, and cut back his food and treats, and now he's at 26 pounds. Gordie weighs 28 lbs but is a lot taller and longer than Brady, and his ribs still show a little bit ( he weighed 20 pounds and all his bones were showing when I found him wandering the neighborhood) I give Gordie an extra serving of food a day, and they are both very active boys :-)
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope, none of our three pups are overweight. In fact, we have a hard time keeping weight on the girls since they are so active. Last check up they got excellent reports.
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh and someone mentioned fish oil-I have special fish oil tablets for dogs because both of mine have very dry skin. The vet said it was perfectly fine.
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    Options
    I have 3 dogs, 2 german shepherds and 1 mini jack russell and they are all slim and healthy! I'm very careful with what my dogs eat, all measured!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    The cats and the dog are at optimal weight. So are the kids. The only one who isn't fit is UncleMac and I'm working on it!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My little Boston terrier was not so "little" when she first began joining me on my big walk each day. I belong to a walking group and we are always open to new members so we decided to put a notice in the newsletter which is circulated in our housing complex. They took our picture...with me holding my dog. The come-on part of the accompanying article was the claim that one of our walking group members had lost over 20% of her body weight. That was our Sassy...from 23 lbs down to 18
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    i do feel a bit bad for my cat... she's supposed to weigh 8 or 9 lbs and she's at 10.5 right now. i know a pound and a half/ two pounds isn't grossly, grossly overweight, but she's definitely chubby. she's been this way for about 4 years now, though, and i really don't know how to get her to lose those 2 lbs.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My Pug, Smash, eats all organic jus tlike me. But he has no extra body fat. He is my inspiration !!! Ha Ha
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have two similar black cats, except one is fat and the other is not. They both eat the same amount of food (I've done measuring experiments). The fat one, if left on his own, will graze all day. The lean one is skittish and eats a lot (slowly and warily) at one time then fasts for hours and hours. I've tried putting the fat one on the lean one's eating pattern, and he does ok (tries to steal the lean one's food when he's not looking as the fat one eats faster than the lean one under those conditions), but does not get as lean no matter what. It's interesting.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a rescue tabby cat, and at last weigh-in he was 12lb...but you can see his waist from above, and you can feel his ribs and spine when you stroke him...he's just a giant cat! He's in no way fat whatsoever.

He doesn't go outside without supervision because he has seizures, and because of the seizures he doesn't really play (he used to before they started, he's just not interested now, not for lack of us trying!!), so he's not particularly active, but we mostly only feed him a high-quality vet-approved hypoallergenic wet food (he had bloody diarrhoea at the shelter and this was the only thing he could tolerate, so we've stuck with it though we haven't seen any blood for months now). We add extra water to it to prevent him getting cystitis (on vet advice).

He gets a 'puzzle ball' with a tiny handful of dry biscuits in it when we go out to work, and two treat biscuit things with soft fillings each day (we hide his antiseizure tablets in those). For a treat he gets a tuna or chicken fillet occasionally, but only ever the specially packaged stuff specifically for cats.

We do not want him begging us for bits of our food, or taking food from our kids when we have them, so we have tried to teach him that human food is not for him, and we've been pretty successful - he doesn't beg when we're cooking or eating, and he doesn't counter-surf either. We have been very lucky with him :)
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    We have a border collie. Some days he eats, some days he doesn't. He is very active and is so skinny!
    It's embarassing when he gets wet.
  • Mrs_sexobeat
    Mrs_sexobeat Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my dog eats whatever,even onions. but he's not overweight n.n