Calorie surprises!

Options

Replies

• Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My surprisingly low calorie meal (well, lower than I expected) was a slice of NY pizzeria pizza at about 180 calories. JOY! A Kit Kat bar has more calories than that.
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    Dehydrated strawberries 1 oz is 30 calories and it takes quite a few to make a oz.
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not a food...but I've always taken liquid Nyquil when I have a cold. I took a dose without thinking anything of it the last time I was sick, and THEN looked it up--93 calories and 19 carbs for one dose?? That's more carbs than I usually consume in a day. x_x
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Cereal with 2% milk was a lot higher than I thought, I used to litteraly eat more than a half of box at a time, sometimes close to 3/4 of a box (oh I love it sooo, especially Cap'n Crunch Opps All Berries!), and that would be just a snack! On the other side of the scale, Waffles and sugar free syrup were lower than I expected them to be. Working overnights I don't eat breakfast much, but waffles are starting to replace my cereal (which depresses me a little...somedays I want to eat nothing but a box of cereal, lol.)
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also didn't realize bananas were as high in calories as they are.

Another shocker: salads at restaurants!!! I'd think, oh it's a salad, it has to be low cal - WRONG!! At Chili's I can have a lean sirloin (200 cal) with broccoli or beans and make out with less that!!! Even sans dressing.. what the heck in it is so high in calories??

Question for anyone that might know in regards to calorie shockers: So I have a couple packs of 100 calorie popcorn.. I don't eat them every day, but they have a bit of fiber for only 100 cal and they are a good filler! Anyways, on the label it says that unpopped a bag is 130 cal, but popped a bag is 100 cal... anyone get that??
  • cougfn69
    cougfn69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone has suggested it but fortified skim milk is just like 2% or maybe heavier. that is what i always get.
  • Haylz_ish
    Options
    Cheese. :(

I love cheese. I now measure it out but holy moses I used to eat a lot of cheese!!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Kraft Mac n cheese. 410 calories for 1/4 of a cup!!
    Holy crap! Good to know.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I was invited to a restaurant with a friend, Perkins. I had only been there for breakfast before...anyhow, I knew it wouldn't be low calorie, but I did not expect a grilled mozzerella & tomato sandwich with tomato basil soup to be 1100 calories, but it was!
    I was shocked by Perkins as well. 3 pancakes have over 500 calories!! (without butter or syrup!)
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise was bread. I'm french after all so bread is a big deal !
    And one time I was at this party where that was a coco pie (coco and cream, something like that). I thought it would be high.... but I was in shocked when I realize it was 900 calories PER slice !!
  • Chrisswa
    Chrisswa Posts: 71
    Options
    For years, I feasted on nuts thinking it was good for me. I loved the Kirkland Signature Deluxe Mixed Nuts or the various mixed nut offerings from Fresh & Easy and Trader Joe's. I believed that because I was forgoing candy, cakes, and chocolates, etc., I could consume as many nuts as I wanted and feel good about it. After all, they were natural and raw!

Whoops! Tons of calories (mostly from fat.) I have no doubt that raw nuts are superior to a candy bars, etc. But it took MFP to open my eyes to the concept of "servings."

I learned that I was scarfing down anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories of nuts on any given day! That was in addition to whatever I was eating at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

These days if I eat nuts I keep it down to one serving.

Me too i was gobsmacked when i saw Almonds were like 10 cal per nut ... i use to eat handfuls. If i think back i probably ate 1000 to 1500 a day maybe more :( i knew they were high in fat but didnt realise how many cal they added up to. This is the reason i love MFP . I miss nuts and will now add them bak into my diet now i know how to eat them.
  • hkclaire
    hkclaire Posts: 17
    Options
    Sushi - An 8 piece pack of plain salmon nigiri is anywhere from 400-500+ calories. I always considered it a light/healthy meal or even a snack!

On the low side - dehydrated strawberries.
  • MaggieAudiologist
    Options
    White short grain rice....and here I always thought it was a lower calorie choice compared to pasta. Now I'm learning to choose brown basmati rice and control my portions.
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3 xl triple triple coffee's from Tim Hortons almost every day....when I joined mpf i found out they were 480 calories each ...eeek...needless to say I no longer drink them O_0
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also didn't realize bananas were as high in calories as they are.

Another shocker: salads at restaurants!!! I'd think, oh it's a salad, it has to be low cal - WRONG!! At Chili's I can have a lean sirloin (200 cal) with broccoli or beans and make out with less that!!! Even sans dressing.. what the heck in it is so high in calories??

Question for anyone that might know in regards to calorie shockers: So I have a couple packs of 100 calorie popcorn.. I don't eat them every day, but they have a bit of fiber for only 100 cal and they are a good filler! Anyways, on the label it says that unpopped a bag is 130 cal, but popped a bag is 100 cal... anyone get that??

Not all the kernels get popped and I think a lot of the butter gets stuck to the inside of the bag. Complete guesses though lol
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Raspberries! You can eat an entire little box of them for under 100 calories. It was a pleasant surprise.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is awesome, approximately 120 calories for a bag. Kale chips, also delicious and surprisingly low calorie for something so yummy, and cauliflower! I love mashed cauliflower!
  • tinyjaz
    tinyjaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cheese. :(

I love cheese. I now measure it out but holy moses I used to eat a lot of cheese!!

So did I! Expecially with my wine!:drinker: :sad:
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I knew cheese was bad, but I didn't realise that it really just doesn't fit into my calorie-budget. So now I only have some for taste on my dinner, if the recipe calls for it (before I ate 4 cheese sandwiches a day).

I was shocked when I calculated what I used to eat before counting and before starting to eat right. I used to get three burgers from BK, no fries and a diet coke. I knew this was bad. But it turned out to be 1828 calories of bad. And I usually ate a whole bag of Doritos after dinner too. That is another 1000 (!!!!) calories.

That is why for me this lifestyle change is not only healthier, but cheaper too. No more fast food, no more snacks :D
  • Jargarita
    Jargarita Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ritz Reduced Fat Crackers are 70 cals for 5 crackers and they don't even taste that great!