150g of protein / day without supplements - possible??

Options

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and yogurt!! I love that combination! I can get 150 g of protein pretty easily at 1600 to 1800 cal a day. Look at my diary too. I love the Pure Protein bars.....they are 20 g of protein a pop....the other stuff is usually egg beaters, cottage cheese, chicken.....or other meat. Yep, it can be done!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Seems like a portion issue, mainly. Like other posters have said, just up the amount of meat, yogurt, eggs, etc. that you're eating per meal.

Fish is always a great addition, too, since it's low in cals and high in protein (swai, tilapia, tuna, etc.)

Good luck!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    There are 4 calories per gram of protein, so you'll still have 1100 calories left for your other macros.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary. I only just boosted my daily protein intake, and I'm hitting it while only take 2 scoops of powder/day (which is about 50g of protein). I get the rest of the 150g from "real" foods.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Nearly 100% of the time I'm up to my protein goal, sometimes over (which doesn't bother me when it comes to protein). I tend to eat meat or fish for dinner and tea most of the time, I don't think a meal is right without meat! (sorry veggies). I've never taken a supplement in my life.

26257256.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eat bigger portions of lean protein like skinless boneless chicken. A 4oz serving of Chicken breast is around 20-25g of Protein. I have been eating up to 12-13oz.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just made a healthy egg mcmuffin and had a glass of bolthouse farms protein blend coffee (which is orgasmic btw) and the total just for my breakfast in protein was 35 grams..which is pretty damn good for breakfast! When I go grocery shopping the first thing my eyes shoot to on the label is the protein. If something is low cal but low in protein I put it back. The more stocked I keep my pantry with protein rich foods the easier it is to hit my protein macro everyday. I also agree with a previous poster. Just increase the amount of lean chicken/meat you're eating. If you make a meal and you normally use 3 oz, use 4?
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The following meal plan gets you +200g protein per day.

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs with spinach
    Snack: 200g cottage cheese with apple
    Lunch: 1 can of tuna with bok choy
    Snack: 500ml raw milk and banana
    Post workout: 1 scoop whey with oats & 500ml milk
    Dinner: 150g chicken breast with pasta & broccoli
    Pre bed: 200g cottage cheese with berries & flax seeds

1. Canned Tuna. 40g protein/can. Buy tuna in spring water or brine. Don't worry about the mercury: 1 can chunk light tuna per day is safe, read this.

2. Whole Eggs. 7g protein/egg. Lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away if you have bad cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol, and the yolk contains half the protein and vitamins A/D/E.

3. Whey. 1 scoop ON whey is 24g protein/30g serving. At 2 scoops/day, a 10lbs bag will last 10 weeks for 84,99$. You don't get cheaper than this. But don't rely on whey only because it's cheaper. Vary your protein intake.

4. Ground Beef. 25g protein/100g. Buy 80% ground beef and rinse the fat if lean beef is too expensive. You can reduce the fat content by as much as 50%. Read this free pdf on how to rinse ground beef.

5. Milk. 30g protein/liter milk. If you're a skinny guy, want to gain weight fast and don't bother gaining some fat, drink 1 gallon raw milk per day. Don't worry about the saturated fat. Stay away from milk if you want to lose fat.

6. Frozen Chicken Breast. 25g protein/100g. Cook the frozen chicken breast using a George Foreman Grill. Consume the chicken breast within 2 months of freezing for optimal tenderness & taste.

7. Cottage Cheese. 12g protein/100g. Cottage cheese is more expensive in Europe than in the US. We buy Quark cheese: 10g protein per 100g, cheaper than cottage cheese and a better taste.

8. Ground Turkey. 25g protein/100g. Expensive cuts are made from turkey breast. Cheaper cuts can contain skin, which increases the fat content. Rinse the fat like for ground beef using this method.

9. Canned Mackerel. 23g protein/100g. Canned mackerel is high in omega-3, contains less mercury than canned tuna, and tastes a lot better too.

10. Calves Liver. 20g protein/100g. Low fat and nutrient dense. Contrary to what you might believe, liver is safe. Try one of these recipes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of logging. Some of the people claiming to eat that much protein from food alone show an inordinately high amount of protein per serving than other sources.

OP:
    Maybe you can just pick whatever MFP option they are picking for their diary and then yours will show higher too. I have started using hemp protein powder in order to boost my protein because I am also having trouble getting it from food alone. I am looking at these diary entries and in some cases, I am eating more lean meat than they are, but the protein content is showing differently. (Things that make you go hmmmm)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's a LOT of effin cottage cheese! Eeeww! :sick:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Very easily with fish like tuna and salmon, as well as lean ground turkey and beef.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of logging. Some of the people claiming to eat that much protein from food alone show an inordinately high amount of protein per serving than other sources.

OP:
    Maybe you can just pick whatever MFP option they are picking for their diary and then yours will show higher too. I have started using hemp protein powder in order to boost my protein because I am also having trouble getting it from food alone. I am looking at these diary entries and in some cases, I am eating more lean meat than they are, but the protein content is showing differently. (Things that make you go hmmmm)

what you just said is completely retarded. You can easily meet 150g protein without logging improperly. An example day for me would be (I'm low carb so might not be for everyone)

Breakfast:
    4 eggs with cilantro, onions, black pepper, 3 slice Jenny o turkey bacon, slice of black Forrest ham, slice of provolone, tapitio hot sauce

(made as a omelette) = 36g protein

Lunch:

Kirkland Bonless, Skinless Chicken Breast - Grilled - Chicken Boneless//Skinless Grilled, 8 oz
    Spices - Dill weed, fresh, 5 sprigs
    Walmart Deli - Provolone Cheese, 1 oz
    Romain Lettuce - Romaine Lettuce, 2 cup
    Generic - White Onion - Raw, 3 g
    Treasure Cave - Crumbled Feta Cheese, 0.0625 cup (28g)
    Hormel - Black Forest Ham, 1 oz
    Kraft - Fat Free Zesty Italian Anything Dressing, 2 Tbsp
    Kroger - Large Hard Boiled Egg, 2 egg
    Jennie-O - Turkey Bacon, 2 slice
    Fresh Gourmet - Premium Croutons - Italian Seasoned, 4 Croutons
    Mccormick - Salad Toppins, Crunchy & Flavorful, 1 Tbsp
    Lemon Juice - Fresh Squeezed, 2 TBSP hand squeezed

(big *kitten* salad) = 82g protein

Dinner:

Great Value - Fajita Seasoning Mix, 2 tsp dry mix
    Beef round steak - Walmart, 8 oz
    Dfac - Sour Cream, 2 Tbsp
    Tapatio - Hot Sauce, 1 tsp
    Mission - Carb Balance Flour Tortillas--Fajita Size (3g Net Carbs), 2 tortilla
    Spices - Pepper, black, 2 dash
    Vegetable - Green Bell Pepper (Raw), 0.1 large bell pepper
    Onion Slice - Onion Slice, 1 slice
    Raw Veggies - Red Bell Pepper, 0.1 pepper

Fajitas = 57g protein

Daily Total = 175g protein.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm getting 300+ g of protein daily, only 50 or so from a shake. Granted, I eat 1.7 lbs of chicken breast a day, but that's still only 160 g or so.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

That's a LOT of effin cottage cheese! Eeeww! :sick:

Cottage cheese is awesome! I went my entire life thinking I hated it. Until a couple months ago I tried it and now I eat it daily, twice daily 3 days week. Plain 2%, FTW!
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Seafood. Fish, shell fish, shrimp. Tons of protien in all of it.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am crazy busy in the am getting 4 kids up and out - I throw some egg whites in the microwave (Add whatever you like - I like Old Bay seasoning), throw it on some whole grain toast or an english muffin - maybe a slice of cheese and I am out the door. It is very filling and high protein. What about some mini quiches that you make on Sunday and reheat each day? Or fridge oats? I have never tried it, but its very popular on here and with the yogurt in the oats it would boost the protein. A smoothie in the am would be nice that early- some protein powder, yogurt, fresh fruit, spinach, etc.?
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

OP:
    I

Not really. Most 4 ounce servings of meats have roughly 20-25 servings of protein in them. If you eat a series of meals with 4 to 6 ounce servings and add the protein that is in things like oatmeal, grains, nuts, cheeses, milks, etc you can easily reach a high a amount of protein. Easily. Again I can get to 200 without shakes.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    150 g of protein without supplements is not easy, especially if you're not wanting to add extra calories, fat, cholestrol, etc... A protein shake is probably the way to go if you want to hit that number.

IMHO, if you're not bodybuilding, it's really not necessary to ingest that much protein.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you're not bodybuilding, it's really not necessary to ingest that much protein.

lol