Grrrrrrrr! My child is a Nutella Monster!

Options
124»

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Ugh... *checks birth control expiration dates* Ok. I'm good.

Seriously, keep that stuff out of the house, or where a 2 year old can't see or get to it. Provide other "snacks" for it that are actually healthy. If you're a parent, you have the control, especially with a 2 year old.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella but .....My kids, esp my boys, were very fussy as toddlers and my oldest (who is 18 and a freshman in college) is still very fussy about what he eats.....I wish I would have tried this when he was younger but....

Fix kid friendly foods yes, but also serve them what you eat for dinner? No, they won't starve to death. And the more they see the foods on their plate the more likely they are to eat them....

For some kid friendly recipes you can search the web but some my kids liked were....

'ants on a log' - celery sticks w/ pb and raisins
    banana catterpillars - lay a banana on a plate and slice it...then stick the pieces back together w/ pb, use pretzel sticks as the legs and antennae and raisins as the mouth...

you could also make a special treat for 'good eating' by putting nutella between pieces of banana and freezing them....

Could be too a phase . Kids at 2 are supposed to be the 'terrible 2's....I found 3 much more difficult....

good luck.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    Try compromise...tell him if he eates 5 bites of dinner, he can have two bites of Nutella..and if when he finishes more..he can have more nutella.

Rewarding children with a sugary snack for eating healthy food? What's next? A Snicker's bar for every apple? Sounds like a way to develop really bad eating habits.

How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

(Applause) Nicely done! :)
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a wonderful motivator. And, to be honest, your kitchen shouldn't be a cafeteria.

Set a reasonable am't of time on a timer, and if the meal you've prepared for your child isn't eaten by the time it's buzzing,
    remove the plate and that's the last opportunity he/she has to eat till breakfast. No snacks, not making something different,
    especially not serving treats.

I can pretty much GUARANTEE he/she will be eating just about anything you serve for breakfast.

This too!!! My Mom always made us sit till we ate or went to bed hungry. And I never starved. If she served something new, we at least had to try it. If we genuinely didn't like something she always offered something else.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My two year old refuses to eat anything but Nutella. Forced him to sit at the table for an hour until he ate his supper. Did not budge. Do anyone know of meals that all kids like.
    Maybe just don't buy it for a little while:)
    He's like us, when he is hungry he will eat something good.
    I try to capitalize on hunger, meaning, when I know the genuine appetite (hunger) is going to be peaked , I begin to make something "good for you," because the smell may get them interested:)
    Like, my children like zucchini with seasoning and cheddar cheese.
    Don't get frustrated. Relax.

In our home, I prepare a nice big breakfast.
    During the day we mostly eat a few light meals/snacks and treats (fruit, homemade chocochip cookies, tortilla/cheese, ice cream bar, protein drink, peanut butter on apple, crackers/cheese, applesauce, yogurt, etc)
    The other "meal" I prepare is dinner.
    So two meals out of the day are the standard kind of filling "big" meals, so that if the rest of the day was less than ideal, at least those meals are pretty good!

So, dinner might be a quick-easy version of some combination of:
    seasoned ground beef
    chicken breast (just simply cooked in my iron skillet with some salt--simple is delicious!)
    baked salmon
    Pinto beans or refried beans

steamed broccoli seasoned with salt, garlic and lemon
    steamed zucchini with cheddar cheese and seaoning
    chopped salad with ranch dressing
    avocado/tomato guac and mild salsa

tortilla
    tortilla chips
    steamed little potatoes
    sourdough bread

and some sort of treat...ice cream, cookies, whatever

You may not get it perfect with a child that age, but it's okay! Just keep offering the good stuff
    Their little tastebuds are so fresh, and they can be picky...
    And maybe don't keep the unproductive treats around for now.
    I have to agree with other posters...I practically never offer beverages other than water! And I don't usually offer bread at that age until the meat/veggie has been offered and, hopefully, eaten:)
    That growing little body will get hungry and want some good food!
  • SheikFanel
    Options
    Definitely don't give into him if he is upset he can't eat only nutella. My sister gives my niece nothing but rice and grilled cheese to eat! And that is not healthy, I kept telling her in the past it is going to lead to problems but she doesn't seem to want to bother. Nutella isn't any better...at all. You have to teach your kid what to eat

As a kid I was a picky eater, I did not like to eat anything..at the time I didn't like sandwiches but I did like cold-cuts. So my mom would roll up bologna for me as my lunch for school. May have looked weird, but it got me to eat. I also stuck by chicken tenders like it was a god send lol I also really liked steak as a kid. If there was roast beaf, or something new to me and I didn't know what it was my mom would tell me it was steak and I would eat it. A little white lie...lol at least it got me to eat!
    Also my mom would make sure I had EVERYTHING on my plate for dinner. Some mashed potatoes, string beans, carrots, peas, and then the main meal (rather it be chicken, pork, beef, etc..). I didn't like eating my veggies like most kids..but my mom would tell me to eat some of it. That way I was introduced to the food, getting used to the food, getting some of its nutrients..and hey I didn't have to eat ALL of it so it wasn't that bad. I'm 23 now but I still remember dinner time very well lol Don't let them run the show, if they do they'll be very unhealthy and have bad eating habits when they are older..they don't know any better.

Also wanna add I can eat almost anything now like 'weird' things like raw fish, mussels...pretty much things my own mom wouldn't dream of eating or even tasting. So there's hope.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOL, am I the only one here that doesn't like Nutella?

Fussy eating habits will never go away if you don't nip them in the bud. My step-daughter is 11 years old and is still a very fussy eater. She lives on garlic bread and butter noodles when she visits. She will down soda and brownies, but acts like real food is killing her to eat it.

I've tried to encourage her dad to enforce healthier eating, but he claims he can't do so because he was a picky eater, too and hated when he was made to eat something that he didn't like.

Trust me, it only gets worse. I think it's time to stop buying the Nutella for a while.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old likes hummus - especially since he thinks it is called 'Thomas' as in Thomas the Tank Engine!! Don't be shy about re-branding in your own kitchen :laugh:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can take a hard line approach. No more nutella...

Offer your child his meals...any food is kid friendly! When he is hungry, he will eat, if he isn't hungry, he won't eat. Kids are simple like that. Just keep simple rules, food at table, no juice or milk in between meals, offer water, and offer nutritious snacks through the day.

I wouldn't force him to stay at table though until he eats, that is going to cause you more issues.

Two years old can survive on only a 1/2 a sandwhich a day, so each meal only a few bites is going to be enough food, so don't force the issue. They also tend to want and eat the same food every day, that is normal. By introducing different foods, slowly with the foods he likes, that is the way to expand his palate. Don't make an issue over any foods whether he likes it or not, keep it low key and casual. That way food and eating doesn't' become a power issue between the 2 of you.

smart!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    LOL, am I the only one here that doesn't like Nutella?

Nope - not the only one. I don't think it's gross or anything, but I don't get the fascination with it. I've had it maybe twice in my life and was underwhelmed.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Kids can only eat what adults bring into the house - if you don't buy Nutella, he can't eat Nutella.

I saw a TV show a few months back where a woman was feeding a McDonalds burger and chips to her tiny baby, and complaining that it was all he would eat. It made me cry.