Best way to slim my calfs?

Options
I have seriously giant calfs, even for the size and weight I am now. I am 5'7, 160 lbs, and live an active lifestyle. I have had huge, disproportionate calfs and underarms since I was a little girl. I've always wondered why why whyyyy, but I really need to know the best way to slim by calfs. Any tips?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My sister is super skinny but has really defined calf muscles. She can't even get some boots on. I'm curious to see the responses here. For her, it's genetic.
  • essohtee
    essohtee Posts: 34
    Options
    I haven't EVER been able to wear any boots that zip up, even the sizes labeled "wide leg." That's one of my mini goals for this winter, actually.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tips? Workout ... lose weight & hope for the best.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear. You can't spot reduce (unfortunately). All you can do is lose excess fat .... it will come off wherever it pleases.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Can't change your genetics. Blame your parents. So learn to embrace them and just make them the best you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I got my dad's calves. I had to try on 20 pairs of boots last year before I found ones that would go over them! That's one of those things that you just kind of have to live with, I'm afraid. Unless you have seriously PUDGY calves, in which case all-over fat loss should eventually bring it down some, you just have to learn to love them... and buy your skinny jeans with some stretch to them. Also, invest in some cowboy boots, lol!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm a pear shape too so it just make me not like my lower half even more!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have big calves (gymnastics) i couldnt wear boots either. But i work out and I always get complimented on my legs. I have found boots that fit now-which is amaizing- but your gonna have to pay good money for them. or go to a website that actually gives you the measurment of thigh highs and calve sizes.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Normally people try to fatten calfs...makes for better eatin' come slaughter time....mmmmooooooooooo!
  • essohtee
    Options
    lul
  • Yrla
    Yrla Posts: 19
    Options
    I haven't EVER been able to wear any boots that zip up, even the sizes labeled "wide leg." That's one of my mini goals for this winter, actually.

I've never been able to wear zip-up boots either. And I'm a pretty small person otherwise, including small-framed (while my calves are disproportionately large, my wrists are tiny!). But I've had big calves as long as I can remember, or at least since I started getting into sports around the age of 10 (played football - soccer - for many years and have kept running and walking a lot). The thing is, because my calves are mostly muscle, I don't mind. Sure, I'd love it if I could wear a nice pair of high-ish zip-up boots with knee-length skirts or skinny jeans, but it's not going to happen (in fact, most skinny jeans are far too tight on my calves too). And I'd much rather have legs that can do awesome stuff, such as carry me for miles and miles without getting sore.

As others have suggested, you can't spot reduce fat, nor can you choose where your body stores it, or change your build. Your calves might shrink a bit as you lose weight all over, but it's possible that you'll never be able to walk into a shoe shop and zip up a pair of 'normal' boots. Either way, my advice would be to embrace what you've got. Sounds like you have well-built legs - and probably strong too, or at least the potential for it. Strong legs are great. Make the most of them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would get rid of excess fat, as others have stated, and additionally, do some weight lifting with your upper body. Increasing your muscle size of your upper body will make you look in proportion to your naturally larger lower body. It's kind of like wearing the right outfit to make yourself look a little slimmer, or putting a mirror and the couch in the right spot in the living room.

And if your calves are well-defined and muscular, and not large from fat, well that's just a bonus because it's sexy as hell. :bigsmile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's genetic, but just standing on your toes up and down will define the muscles and tighten things up.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have larger calves too. No matter what weight I am, they are disproportionately large. Nothing I can do about it, thankfully my husband likes shapely legs. Can't wear tall boots either though.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't have calves...I have cows! (17+ inches) Growing up....I hated it. I also feel your pain about the boots. Now I have learned to accept what I have. I am just muscular all together...so I am going with it. You might lose some girth when you lose weight, but overall you are still going to have large calves. Embrace what you have....I would much rather be walking around with muscular calves than riding a chicken bareback :bigsmile:
  • essohtee
    Options
    Well, thanks everyone. I've realized I could lose some fat on my calfs, but overall they are just muscular and shapely. Thanks goes to soccer and dancing for many years, I believe. I'm trying to embrace it :)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Maybe we need to come out with a line of boots for us girls with the muscular calves :laugh::flowerforyou:
  • essohtee
    Options
    I would buy every damn pair!!
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    Maybe we need to come out with a line of boots for us girls with the muscular calves :laugh::flowerforyou:

Yes please!!!! I have knee boot envy soooo baaaad my whole liiife you guuuuyyyyss
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that's the same way. She's 3 inches shorter but her calves are dramatically larger than mine. But, they're not fat. They're all muscle. I think it's just the way you're built... no avoiding that :/

Like myself, I have a giant rib cage. So even when I lose weight I still look larger than most. Just crap you gotta deal with :/
  • tiffymcg
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I have huge calves too (thanks to genetics) and notice that they are the LAST thing to get smaller once I've lost the weight. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my legs when I am thinner and people think I'm a runner and I'm not - I just have muscular legs. I started doing 30DS and doing the lunges and leg work and then realized, what the heck am I doing? I don't need to work out my legs AT ALL -I just need to lose the fat so now I'm just doing cardio and just waiting until they finally get smaller. Good luck ... oh, and I'll take a pair of the muscular calf boots, too! :) lol