COFFEE DRINKERS ADVICE NEEDED!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My morning coffee costs me 88 calories. But that's because it's a cappuccino instead of a brewed coffee, and the majority of those calories are from skim milk. I figure I would be drinking the milk anyway, so I'm calling it good. It's worth every drop.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My favorite creamer also has 35 cals per tablespoon. I used to drink 6 or more cups a day and I estimate I was putting 4 or more tablespoons of it in each cup!

I now fill my mug only about 2/3 of the way full which tastes great with 2 tablespoons of creamer and I measure them. And I've cut out a couple of cups altogether. I'm still able to meet my goals this way without too much sacrifice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I use fat free coffee mate and splenda. I went all sugar free a couple of years ago and while I'm not doing it anymore I did keep some things, like the splenda packets. Personally I always ask myself if the calories in the food/drink are worth it, and in the case of coffee creamer the answer is always YES :)
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Carnation fat free powdered milk (doesn't water down your coffee like skim milk) and Sugar free Torani Vanilla syrup. World Market is the cheapest place to get the syrups.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The only thing I put in coffee is more coffee, no creamy stuff or anything that sweetens it at all.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with Soymilk and Splenda or Agave Nectar. I find I don't need as much sweetener when I use Soymilk (it adds a nice nutty flavor)... plus bonus protein and less cals!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to use skim milk and a tsp of sugar in my coffee. But then I switched to full-fat half and half and no sugar. Much better, in my opinion.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    There are tons of studies and studies on those studies and studies to study the studies.. that go for coffee good for body or coffee bad for body ..

I like coffee and I think it boils to what you put IN the coffee that you should be questioning.. Artificial sweeteners Creamers liquid candy from Star bucks etc etc..

If you have to have all the flavoring just track it and adjust your calories for such .. Personally with the workout supplements I take I usually don't drink coffee any more. On occasions that I do .. I just drink it black.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I just drank a starbucks vanilla frappiccino in a bottle...

So... what I would do is use milk--preferably skim and then use flavor creamer that has more calories... skim milk has 90 calories per cup (8 oz) and so I would make it to almost the color I wanted and then I would add the flavor to the color and taste I want...
    The milk will cut the bitter and the sugar will make it easier to go down.. but if you don't like the bitter then the milk will cut all that out that you don't like and you can use less sugar. or sugary creamer.

It looks like you got a lot of good advice already :smile:
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it black? I know everyone has their own coffee preferences, so you may not like it, but that's how I've always drank mine... Maybe if you find a really good quality that you like (or perhaps a coffee that's already flavored, like the Kahlua or French Vanilla or something) you could just drink it black?
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I keep vanilla protein powder.mixed with water and use it like creamer in my coffee. also, there are sugar free coffee syrups (white chocolate, coconut, almond, blueberry cream, etc) . i get the syrup at specs liquor store, in the mixers section

I too, mix my coffee with protein powder. I use a whole scoop of vanilla or chocolate and a cup of milk and then add coffee, mix it all together and call it breakfast.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh my, same problem over here!!! But I look at it this way... I have still dropped a total of 73 pounds and it hasn't effected my fitness goals, probably only helped them! lol

I have tried SO MANY alternatives to what I like. I spend $$$ and HATE IT. I love my almond joy creamer :drinker: :drinker:

BUT- One thing I have done is substitute about 2/3 of it with fat free half and half. Cuts the ratio to 1-2 tbsp creamer/2-3 tbps ff 1/2... helped with the sugar and calorie issue.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have 2 mugs of hot coffee first thing in the morning with some flavored, sugar free creamer that is 60 calories. My problem was the large iced coffee I would get around 9 AM with cream and flavored syrup (I looked it up once and it was something like 300+ calories). I started drinking Slim Fast in the morning and then just decided to get plain, black iced coffee and pour the Slim Fast in it. Still 190 calories, but gives flavor and a creaminess to the coffee for something I was going to drink anyway. And it lasts me all morning.
  • lilhendy
    Options
    Good morning. I use splenda (2) and half and half (6) for 30 calories and it is worth it to make my day a success. When I drink decaf, I use only 10 calories.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went to black coffee, it's my favorite way to drink it now. 0 calories... But if it is really necessary for you to drink your coffee with the additives in it then maybe do some pushups to kill the amount of calories you have taken in.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    I love coffee.... I have it every day. I drink at least one cup every morning, and each cup contains: 3 packets of splenda and 2 tablespoons of land o lakes half n half (or kroger brand... whatever I grab). My FAVORITE is the international coffee natural bliss sweet cream creamer... there are 70 calories in 2 tbsps... but, it's worth it to me!! I don't drink pop, I don't drink tea, and I don't eat a lot of sugary stuff. if your one vice is coffee, then go with it :) It's better to indulge a little than to binge a lot because you're denying yourself that one thing you love.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    i drink my coffee completely and totally black, just like my soul. no sugar, no cream, no sweeteners, nothing.

i secretly think anyone who doesnt get their coffee this way is a ***** hehe.

*coffee snob*

well that's no longer a secret hehe
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested to me to put Vanilla Protein powder instead of my regular vanilla creamer. I must say - it wasn't as bad as I thought...
  • amandahume44
    Options
    I am like you in that I need at least one (sometimes two) cup(s) of coffee a day and the rest of my liquids consumed are 100% water.

I use the flavored creamers you get at the supermarket such as International Delight or Bailey's - these are usually about 35 calories per tablespoon and to me these are sweet enough that I don't need to use any sugar. I buy one for the week and keep it at work to pour into the coffee I make there - it's like a treat! I've tried to rationalize using something different with less calories like skim milk or cutting it coffee altogether, but it's non negotiable....I need my coffee the way I like it!! It's a mental thing for me. The calories are worth it and having it makes me happy :-)

I would suggest trying a variety of these and see if there is any flavor that you really like enough where you wouldn't need the sugar/sweetener...you never know!
  • MissLexiLoo
    Options
    I use moo moos (half and half in a prepackaged little cup) The reason I do that is to keep track of ACTUAL calories instead of what I think I'm pouring in. That being said, coffee does curb my appetite, so I guess it's not too terrible to get calories that way.

Caffeine also curbs my appetite! I want lunch WAY earlier if I don't have my morning coffee. I'm also a single parent, and full time student, so coffee is like a MUST haha!! I use an actual TBSP measurement to make sure I'm not just eyeballing it! The prepackaged creamers are a good idea though! Thank you :)