Type 1 Diabetics

Options
I have been diabetic for 28yrs. I keep good control on my sugars but I have been dieting for 6 weeks now and have stuggled with low blood sugars off and on. If you have diabetes and want to offer any tips for another dieting diabetic, please add me as a friend.

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Although to be really precise I am type 1.5......but I have been diabetic since I was 16 and I use an insulin pump. I have found that since I got my CGM I have a much easier time managing my blood sugar. It warns me when I am getting low and a quick small snack usually does the trick.
  • DisneyFreak76
    Options
    Thanks Onaughmae! I should have labeled my topic "Insulin dependent diabetics" because when in comes down to it, we all have the same struggles.
  • alikat517
    alikat517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a type 1, too feel free to add me! :smile:

It is hard enough trying to lose weight, but add insulin and blood sugar swings and it sometimes feels impossible! Hopefully we can encourage each other- I always need accountability!
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also a Type 1. Just started this site on Saturday. That has been a big complaint of mine for years: Having to eat sugary carbs to bring up my bgl, and making me feel like I blew my diet for the day, or night after I worked so hard. I am also on a pump and a CGM. I find the CGM helps out a great deal. Even though I have been a Type 1 for many years, and even though I have a pump and CGM, I would find myself guessing about the carbs, or over-eating the Carbs after I had Bolused, only later to over correct, then later have a low. I've always had plenty of excuses: lazy, tired, forgetfulness, don't care, or embarrassed to use my pump in front of other people. But I realized yesterday that I no longer have any excuse. The food diary gives you the exact carbs. I filled out my diary before my meals and put in the carbs exactly in my pump. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I did not have an extreme high or an extreme low. It stayed steady. I think that this food diary is AMAZING and that it will help people like us out for more reason than just the weight loss. By the way, I also have Thyroid disease and Multiple Sclerosis (all auto-immune diseases). I wish all of my Type 1 buddies the very best of luck! All of you can add me as friends.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a type I and love geeking out with other insulin addicts! I still do shots- lantus, humalog, no CGM. I'm currently struggling with dialing in my carbs and insulin for evening workouts. I had it all figured out for early mornings, but have switched my schedule and it's like starting all over! I don't know how to add friends yet, but if you request me, I would love to be in this support network as well.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just starting using this site yesterday. I too am Type 1. Although right now I take insulin injections, I recently seen my doctor and we are beginning the process of trying to get the insurance to approve an insulin pump for me. I was diagnosed about 11 years ago. I have struggles everyday with blood sugars. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life also. Considering I'm only 29, I have a lot of health issues besides the diabetes. May 2nd of this year I had to have a below the knee amputation. I fought different infections, including Osteomyelitis (bone infection) for over a year before I had to have the amputation. There were times over the last year that I truly spent more time in the hospitals and clinics then I did in my own home. I am not completely 100% healed. I have a small ways to go yet. So as you can imagine I have very limited options on any excercises I can do, so my diet has recently become extremely important. You can feel free to add me if you want to, because when it comes struggles and frustrations, I can completely understand! :)
  • vcp1971
    vcp1971 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good morning! I read your post and thought of my husband. He too has Type 1 Diabetes. He was diagnosed at age 12 and is now 43 years old. It is a struggle for him daily but he seems to have a positive attitude like yourself. I worry about him just because I cannot be with him all the time and it seems that more recently he has been having a lot of low blood sugars so I pray that he catches them on time. He's on bp meds, thyroid, and of course insulin. He has been wanting to get on the insulin pump but has such a hard time counting carbs and so it may not happen. So i'm trying to lose weight for my health because just recently I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure but wasn't prescribed meds as of yet so I'm trying to get it under control before I have get on meds. So here I am trying to find a support group. I don't know how to add either but i will follow your posts. Keep up the positive attitude. :wink:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I agree this food log makes it so easy to figure your carbs. I have to admit I get lazy and "guess" sometimes...then am high or low *sigh* Since starting on this site I have been much more stable. For those that dont use a pump...it sure does make life easier. I resisted getting one for years because I didnt like the idea of being "attached" to something. My pump is just a natural part of me now and what I got in freedom with it more than makes up for any inconvenience. I can eat when I want to now...not on a schedule. Liberating!
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Onaughmae. I felt the same way about not wanting anything "attached" to me. Just think about it like your clothes or shoes. You will feel so much better. If you have a CGM it is a pain in the butt, but so worth it. Ask your endocrinologist what pump/CGM is covered under your insurance plan (there are so many). If your insurance denies it ask your endo to write a letter saying that it is medically necessary. For all of you, my heart goes out to you and I have never cried so much today reading everyone's Type 1 stories. I do not feel so alone now. Thank you.
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yep Type 1 here to, had for 26 years now. It is an extra challenge when losing weight yep that is for sure! I used to be on a pump then went back to injections, Lantus and Novorapid. Works well for me, minimum 5 injections per day. Be nice to have others to bounce ideas off and CJMQ I totally get ya re starting over again when working out in the evenings. Gaaaahhhh!!!! :happy:
  • petzluvr95
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a type 1 Diabetic and have been so for 9 or 10 years. I'm really glad to see this topic board posted and I hope many Diabetics like myself get their weight loss solutions. I myself want to drop 30 lbs and all support through this amazing site is appreciated. Keep on striving and remember, Everyone is Beautiful!
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    Hi again everyone! I have been thinking about how we are all have to face the added calories when we have lows and need to snack. I just created a new meal in my log called "Blood Sugar Correction" so I can see how often I'm actually having to pile on the sugar. It might help to see what I did and ate the days I had to fee the lows. I also have to eat 15-30 carbs before I work out. I wish MFP would allow me more categories! Anyone else track these calories separately?
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Monday i just seen my endocrinologist and tomorrow I go to the Diabetic Educator to go over the different kind of pumps, and discuss what might work best for me, and get some education on them. I also will be bringing her my meter so they can submit the last two months into insurance to prove I should have one. (forgot it on monday) I'm kind of excited for a few diff reasons. With all of my health issues and complications I don't see the insurance not approving the pump, they have covered everything thus far and I have pretty good coverage, its just the formality of everything that will take time.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been Type I since I was 8 (22 years, almost 23). One of the things I think alot of people on this site don't realize is that one of the major contributing factors to how much insulin you need is how much you weigh--you don't need as much at 150 as you do at 250 (obviously everyone is different, but this is true relative to the person, not the weight). Alot of people, myself included, struggle with this when then begin to lose because alot of people keep their same insulin levels while losing weight, resulting in low blood sugars. As you lose weight (and with the advice of your endocrinologist, obvi), you should theoretically reduce the amount of insulin you are taking. Also, factoring in exercise, etc, which can screw with it. It's a hard tightrope to walk, but hopefully this helps :)
  • DisneyFreak76
    Options
    @CJMQ, That's a great idea! I know you can't do this but if I get low and don't want to eat, I suspend my pump for a while. I was in a group about 6 years ago and the leader of the group said that she didn't count what she had to eat to raise her blood sugars. If you are having lows daily and more than once a day, I would definitely do as merrillfoster stated and lower your insulin a little.
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I actually haven't been having many lows, which suprised me, but when I started working out in the evenings I lowered my nightime Lantus a few units, based on prior experience. I know you pumpers have the disconnect option, which is maybe the only reason I'd like a pump!

I'm curious though- when people say with the pump they now don't have to eat on a schedule, is that because you were on an older insulin regime, like Regular or something? I started out right away with humalog, and eat or don't eat whenever I want, because it's fast-acting. Is the change to a pump that dramtic if you are already on a flexible routine with fast-acting insulin and carb-counting? I feel like I might be missing something!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not type 1, but my son was diagnosed at 4. Which means I've been managing his diabetes intensely for 5 years now. Right now, we use the OmniPod tubeless pump (GREAT for swimming and exercise) with the DexCom 7+ CGM.
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    DisneyFreak, I wonder why the group leader didn't count what she ate for lows? I think it would give a more accurate picture of calorie intake to count it. It's unfair, cause that eating is mandatory and not fun, but it's still eating. Avoiding the lows definitely helps me, cause if I have a bad one, I will eat everything in sight!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm curious though- when people say with the pump they now don't have to eat on a schedule, is that because you were on an older insulin regime, like Regular or something? I started out right away with humalog, and eat or don't eat whenever I want, because it's fast-acting. Is the change to a pump that dramtic if you are already on a flexible routine with fast-acting insulin and carb-counting?

Probably. Insulins like NPH and Regular are medium-acting (6-12 hours) and so you have to eat when the peak hits. This is called "conventional therapy" and typically you have a dose of insulin, and "eat up" to match that.

"Intensive therapy" is when you have your background insulin to keep you alive, and then you take meal boluses specifically for each meal. This works with rapid insulin like Novolog, since the action time (2-4 hours) is much closer to your digestion time.

Intensive therapy done with shots is called MDI ("multiple daily injections"), and with a pump, it's called... pumping.

If you are already on MDI going to a pump will be much easier since you are probably used to carb counting, but it's still a challenge. Pumping is MORE work for more flexibility, but very, very much worth it.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    38 years with Type 1. Sent you a request!