I'm Having a Problem With My Nuts.

Options

Replies

• oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I just gave them up all together. I just have peanut butter every now and again..
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Who can seriously eat only a serving size (1/4 cup) of nuts? Seriously.

Me.
    But nuts is not a "snack alone" food. It MUST be paired with something. Apple, watermelon, banana, carrots, broccoli, etc; some kind of carb.
    But it's important also to be eating UNSALTED nuts in the first place because sodium on the tongue is going to trigger a "I'm still hungry" response and you're going to put more in your mouth. Sure unsalted nuts aren't that tasty, but why are you eating for flavor instead of for your goal in the first place?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I just preportion them out, don't eat directly out of the container.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I get bags of pistachios and almonds. When i get them home, I put a serving size in a snack size ziplock. When it's time to pack my meals for the day, just grab the snack bag. :smile:

That's what I do as well.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love the topic name :)

I absolutely adore pistachios and almonds, but unless I put them in snack sized bags (1 serving size), I could eat a ton of them. I never eat only nuts as a snack, I always get hungry if I do this. I've found that eating 1/2 serving in conjunction with string cheese/sharp cheddar stick and grapes/apple/other fruits is much more satisfying for the calories and nutrition.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I read the title of this thread, and my mind immediately went to the gutter! I was like well,, it IS TMI Tuesday, after all! :laugh: :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Yep. Once I grab that bag of nuts and the nuts pass my lips, I just cannot stop gobbling them down. Full of salty goodness. :laugh:

I like to mix dry roasted peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts and pistachios all together in a small tupperware box. Will probably have 2 handfuls a day.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    No one, really?

No one else has a problem with trying to limit themselves to 11 almonds or whatever and then it just making you hungrier?

I guess I'm not a nut fanatic. I LIKE them, but yes, I can limit them. I may PREFER to have a few more, but it's not a big deal to me to stop. I have issues with things like DOUGHNUTS. lol Sorry...
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I find boxer briefs to be more supportive than boxers, but more comfortable than briefs.

Haha! This thread made it a lot longer than I expected without this kind of thing!

I know, right?? Are we just the only sick people to have read this thread?
  • RoseSweet
    Options
    I count out 1/2 serving raw almonds, ( about 12) and put them in water in the fridge overnight, this makes them tender as opposed to being hard and cracking your teeth. This helps me keep tab of how much I eat.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I read the title of this thread, and my mind immediately went to the gutter! I was like well,, it IS TMI Tuesday, after all! :laugh: :laugh:

LOL! I was half expecting this thread to be a pick up line of some sort too ;)
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    I find boxer briefs to be more supportive than boxers, but more comfortable than briefs.

Haha! This thread made it a lot longer than I expected without this kind of thing!

I now know why I say people are being juvenile...apparently I CAN relate I just childishly laughed so hard this thread it truly is nuts! LOL HAH My apologies but BA HA

To the OP I can relate to what you meant also, it is not a easy task.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say that it's perfectly normal thing to experience if you're past your 40s...but I see I misunderstood the thread. :-)
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I count out 1/2 serving raw almonds, ( about 12) and put them in water in the fridge overnight, this makes them tender as opposed to being hard and cracking your teeth. This helps me keep tab of how much I eat.

Yeah, at a 1200 cal defish I don't eat a full "serving" either. I'll think about how much fat/protein I need and eat a fraction and type in .25 or .5 for how much I eat.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Sometimes I can't stop putting nuts in my mouth :laugh:
    I have that problem too!! :blushing:
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    It can be hard to get a handle on your nut sack.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I count them out and don't go past 20/day. If they're too tempting maybe it's better not to buy them. I do that with plenty of things and one of the posters is right--out of sight, out of mind.

I buy these almonds that are just ridiculous--Sally's Smart Lemon Almonds (almonds, lemon juice, sea salt) I will literally walk around Whole Foods for 15 minutes just to track them down.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I can...sorry I know it's not what you wanted to hear.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Me.
    But nuts is not a "snack alone" food. It MUST be paired with something. Apple, watermelon, banana, carrots, broccoli, etc; some kind of carb.
    But it's important also to be eating UNSALTED nuts in the first place because sodium on the tongue is going to trigger a "I'm still hungry" response and you're going to put more in your mouth. Sure unsalted nuts aren't that tasty, but why are you eating for flavor instead of for your goal in the first place?

Yes. I usually have a serving of unsalted nuts with a piece of fruit, or on a salad.

slapchopnuts.jpg
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i order 100 cal packs in bulk from amazon.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How do you people do it?!

I had to make my best friend the nut-custodian else I would devour a 250g of peanuts in a mere few hours.

Now that she's no longer around, I'm banned from buying them but every so often I'll treat myself to a quilt-free bag of cashews after a long hike.