Can you really eat anything and lose?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    what is eta? and yes, i graduated dare in 5th grade. lol but i'm completely against the dare program. bad foods can have chemicals that are highly addictive. so really, yeah it is comparable. its just a different chemical.

ETA = Edited to add

And the D.A.R.E. program is one of the worst things ever invented by government.

Please name a chemical in a "bad food" that is highly addictive.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    No..I wasn't. ? I really don't understand it. But, if all you're going to do is laugh at me for being curious, I'll just end my discussion now.
    '

Yes you were. You know very well that crack is NOT comparable to a donut.

Maybe she doesn't. I'll give the benefit of doubt for a D.A.R.E. graduate. There is so much propaganda in schools that a lot of people can graduate with all sorts of weird ideas that pass as "knowledge."

But yeah, comparing food to crack is as stupid as the poster earlier that compared food to cigarettes. It's just plain ignorant.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    No..I wasn't. ? I really don't understand it. But, if all you're going to do is laugh at me for being curious, I'll just end my discussion now.
    '

Yes you were. You know very well that crack is NOT comparable to a donut.

Well, not a plain donut. But powdered? That's a gateway donut. You'll be eating maple bars and jelly-filled with sprinkles in no time. Then? Only a matter of time before you decide to eat a cookie.

Love it! :laugh:

I have always said that sugar is the real gateway drug! :laugh:
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No, I wasn't. i did a quick search for donut ingredients, i found dunkin donut glazed donut, some of the chemicals in there sound just as scary (or maybe less scary lol) thank crack. how is it OK to eat something like that at all? or in moderation? i'm still new here, maybe i just don't get it? heck i used to eat donuts, but now that i know better, i don't see a reason to ever willingly and knowingly eat another one. but that's just me. :) maybe we should just agree to disagree. lol
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Nothing in that donut will hurt you. Your body will break it all down into molecular components. What it needs immediately, it will burn. Others it will store for later. Others, it will flush out of your system.

Living life scared of food is no way to live.
  • ChubsterBones
    Options
    Nothing in that donut will hurt you. Your body will break it all down into molecular components. What it needs immediately, it will burn. Others it will store for later. Others, it will flush out of your system.

Living life scared of food is no way to live.

I agree so much with the last sentence.

What ingredients sound scary, and why? Would you care to disclose which particular chemicals make it comparable to crack? I'm genuinely curious as to why the ingredients in one particular brand would make you go off having doughnuts completely? I'm sure there are others without this big scary chemicals in that are just as delicious.

Edit:

Flour Enriched (, Wheat Flour Bleached, Barley Malted Flour, Niacin, Iron Reduced, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid (Vitamin aB) ), Water, Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Sugar, Dextrose, Contains 22% or less Yeast, Salt, Maltodextrin, Whey, Soy Flour, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, Milk Non-Fat, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Propylene Glycol, Annatto, Carrageenan, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Caseinate, Turmeric, Xanthan Gum, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Agar

:/ None of that makes me go "oh noes, crack like addiction awaits!".
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Borrowed from my buddy tigersword, here's some scary ingredients for you ....

Do you have any idea how many "unpronounceable" chemical names are in fruits?

Check this out. Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

That's the "ingredients list" in an orange. Lots of words you can't pronounce there, right? I guess it must be "full of gross things," I guess. Just because you can't pronounce a word, or because you don't know the chemical name for something, doesn't mean it's bad or unhealthy, or unnatural. It's just a scientific, chemical term.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity…have any of you lost weight eating anything you wanted but staying with in your calorie limit???

Yes. I just eat less of it, and it is more satisfying/filling to usually eat veggies and lean meats so I tend to eat them more. I still go out for burgers, shakes, ice cream, pizza and eat chocolates and the like. I still lose as long as I am within my calories. The exceptions to that are people who have issues processing carbs (PCOS, Diabetes, and the like).
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want. I just changed what I wanted :-)

Love this!
  • amysuespears
    Options
    For me personally, I cannot eat anything I want and still lose weight... Also, if I don't exercise, my body composition doesn't change at all. I have seen people eat what they want and lose, but I don't recommend that because it's not nourishing your body properly. I think 4 ounces of chicken, brown rice, and some broccoli is a way better way to spend 300 calories than a jelly donut. Granted, I would much rather have the jelly donut, but that's how I got fat in the first place :)

Bottom line: do what works for you and what you're comfortable doing.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity…have any of you lost weight eating anything you wanted but staying with in your calorie limit???

Look up the Twinkie Diet. Yes you can eat whatever you want (as long as you stay at a deficit) and lose weight. You just won't be particularly healthy or probably feel all that good if you eat crap instead of healthy foods.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I tried this and it did not work for me. Maybe I should have paid more attention to my MACROS. My sodium and fat went through the roof and I gained weight.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I wanna say no :)
    cause when i want to eat chocolate and drink iced coffee with whipped cream and still stay within my calories I gain weight so the answer is no.
    you have to not only look at your calories intake but also look at your sugar, your fat if any of these are red then you ll not lose anything

Uh ... wrong. Unless you defy the rules of science.

Not necessarily. Going from dieting and eating 'clean foods,' as much as I hate that term, to eating junk can definitely cause a boatload of water retention. I mean, think of it like this. When you're dieting, glycogen can be depleted. When you move towards more junk food, glycogen gets repleted. Each molecule of glycogen carries 3 molecules of water.

Put simply, tissue mass is predicated on energy balance. And I know that's what you're implying. But weight entails other variables that can rise in the face of an energy deficit.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    jeez i didn't realize i would get jumped on for being honestly curious about something. i'll just delete my post, this isn't worth it! i have no desire to sit here going back and forth proving something or proving something that is wrong. this is the exact reason i deleted my facebook. maybe some of these forums aren't for me. i apologize for stirring the pot, it honestly was not my intent. i had no idea people would get like that over my comment, i wouldn't have posted it had i knew.

oh, and it was the propolyne glycol that sounded scary to me. lol
  • cdaytonvt
    Options
    a great deal of modern nutrition science is now pointing to protein and fat as the best energy sources, augmented with fiber and nutrient rich fruits and vegetables as being the best way to keep one's insulin levels at bay and decrease the chance of insulin resistance (which can lead to type II diabetes)....

processed, high sugar carbs (everything from soda, fruit juice and alcohol to corn, potatoes, white bread, crackers, bagels, etc.) have a high glycemic index and turn on massive insulin production, which makes you crave more carbs (bad cycle)

our bodies store excess energy as fat in the presence of insulin

can you eat anything and loose weight? probably yes - with the Kcal in, Kcal out theory - but explain to me how poor people are often fat? it's because their Kcal's in are very high in processed carbs (which are the cheapest foods - sadly)

can you eat smarter and loose weight more rapidly? absolutely! - read "Why We Get Fat" it will change your views forever

like someone else posted before - the quality of the calories does matter, for overall health and for the way the body reacts

i am not a scientist, nor nutritionist, but I am well-read on this topic and have put it to use
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    lol @ Taubes
  • Gabbahh
    Gabbahh Posts: 35
    Options
    Of course you can eat anything. It's all about the calorie deficit. However, what you eat, how your lifestyle is, how you exercise, etc will give various results. You can crap and be in a deficit, which will mean that you lose weight, both a LOT of muscle and still getting fatter.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    jeez i didn't realize i would get jumped on for being honestly curious about something. i'll just delete my post, this isn't worth it! i have no desire to sit here going back and forth proving something or proving something that is wrong. this is the exact reason i deleted my facebook. maybe some of these forums aren't for me. i apologize for stirring the pot, it honestly was not my intent. i had no idea people would get like that over my comment, i wouldn't have posted it had i knew.

oh, and it was the propolyne glycol that sounded scary to me. lol

I'm not sure how you define curiosity. Again, I blame public schools. :yawn:
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want. I just changed what I wanted :-)

Best thing i read all day!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I wanna say no :)
    cause when i want to eat chocolate and drink iced coffee with whipped cream and still stay within my calories I gain weight so the answer is no.
    you have to not only look at your calories intake but also look at your sugar, your fat if any of these are red then you ll not lose anything

Uh ... wrong. Unless you defy the rules of science.

Not necessarily. Going from dieting and eating 'clean foods,' as much as I hate that term, to eating junk can definitely cause a boatload of water retention. I mean, think of it like this. When you're dieting, glycogen can be depleted. When you move towards more junk food, glycogen gets repleted. Each molecule of glycogen carries 3 molecules of water.

Put simply, tissue mass is predicated on energy balance. And I know that's what you're implying. But weight entails other variables that can rise in the face of an energy deficit.

Water retention is not the same as weight gain.