I want to RUN.....

Options

Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Same advice as others,...

1) Go to a running shoe shop and get them to fit you with some running shoes
    2) Start slow and build up - C25K is good, if not then run for a few seconds and then walk then repeat several times. Over the next few weeks swap more running for less walking until you are doing 1/2 hr - won't take you as long as you think :-)

the most important advice

STRETCH AFTER EVERY SESSION - EVEN IF YOU ARE KNACKERED AND SCHEDULE REST DAYS
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    C25K which I see others have suggested. Check it out!
  • dedwardnoe
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is really good advice above. I agree--start slow, get good shoes (get fitted at a running store--not a "regular" shoe store), and be patient. It takes time to build distance and you don't want to get injured.
  • mereyrae30
    mereyrae30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The key to starting and keeping at it is pacing yourself. Dont go try and run a mile day one...or even week 3-4. If you try too much at first you won't go back to doing it all because of how much it SUCKED! Start small. I started running last March and would literally run the length of a mailbox to the next mailbox. Stop and walk and when I was ready- did it again. Each day I went just a tad farther and farther until 1 mile wasn't enough and so on. You can definitely do it! and YES- Shoes are very important and were(and are still) motivational tools to get me going. I love shoes- especially new ones;)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Here is a repost of my tips for new runners;

1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (was my goal for this year... currently sidelined with injury).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!
  • RDawn7
    RDawn7 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, there. I would recommend all of the above. But, just add to try to find a track to go jogging on, with soft turf. Avoid asphalt and cement. They are hard on your knees. I used to run 5 miles a day, but now my knees are shot. I had to stop running.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    C25K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well its like everone has said but also check with your doctor to see if your ok and dont have any medical problems
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    cant add much more from what everyone else has said...good luck to you
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The book Run Fat B!tch, Run by Ruth Field is where I started. It was recommended to me by one of my MFP friends from the UK. It's a pretty funny book and got me to summon my inner b!tch, lace up my runners and get my "*kitten*" off the couch!!!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    GOOD SHOES!

Also when you go shoe shopping ask lots of questions to make sure the sales person knows their stuff.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch-to-5k and I love it. Training to do my 1st 5k in May 2013
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Along with ALLLL this wonderful advice (good shoes, yes; C25K or similar, yes), keep in mind that running is 95% mental. If you get to a tough point in your training and let yourself think you can't do it, you will give up. But it's amazing how you can stretch yourself and go those next few seconds/minutes/feet/yards, etc, when you tell yourself you can.

Enjoy!
  • mrk8679
    mrk8679 Posts: 3
    Options
    You can download an app on your phone that guides you through the couch to 5k program. It starts off easy and is 9 weeks. Search c25k to learn more about it. :)
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    If you find that you don't like Couch to 5K (I didn't care for it at all), and feel like you need a plan instead of just doing your own thing, then I second Hal Higdon. You can find his training guide online.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I started by jumping on the treadmill. I still haven't started outside but just push yourself a little more everyday. You will get better and better at it and begin running for longer periods. My goal everyday is to run a mile faster than I did the day before and also see how long I can run at 5.5 mph for.

OH AND..

7875598282_a910d75060.jpg
    IMG_3653 by dandaninc, on Flickr
  • tripinwithdaisy
    Options
    Read Chi-Running. No pain in my knees or anywhere else after reading it and applying the technique! May not work for everyone, but it has for me!
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    C25K all the way!