"and was under her calorie goal..."

Options

Replies

• selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    you can change the setting so it wont post that you went under, but its good to go under your calories since thats how you lose weight. but people need to make sure they eat enough calories though
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is that yesterday, I met my calories EXACTLY (first time ever!), and was a bit miffed that I didn't get some sort of "congratulatory" type message. No "and was under..." - nothing. :grumble:
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yeah it's straight-up annoying.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called "positive reinforcement." It praises you for staying under, but silent (in anger and shame - j/k) for going over... It's motivational!

I understand that, however for those of us whose are set at 1200, we are already at the minimum. I try to keep it around 1210-1250 since I keep hearing 1200 should be minimum, and it tells me that I'm not eating enough if I go under. Friends will cheer me on for being under goal, but really... I don't need to be under because it's not healthy.

There's a quick fix for that. If you don't feel comfortable going under your 1200 goal and being commended for it by a computer, you can simply change your goal to something like 1250. That way, when the computer tells you well done, you wont feel like you're doing something bad.
    Again, folks, it's a computer. I doubt the programmers have the time to go in and fix every little quirk.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Every time I see it I get a little annoyed, since so many people are set at 1200 calories. That just means my friends aren't eating enough!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called "positive reinforcement." It praises you for staying under, but silent (in anger and shame - j/k) for going over... It's motivational!

I understand that, however for those of us whose are set at 1200, we are already at the minimum. I try to keep it around 1210-1250 since I keep hearing 1200 should be minimum, and it tells me that I'm not eating enough if I go under. Friends will cheer me on for being under goal, but really... I don't need to be under because it's not healthy.

There's a quick fix for that. If you don't feel comfortable going under your 1200 goal and being commended for it by a computer, you can simply change your goal to something like 1250. That way, when the computer tells you well done, you wont feel like you're doing something bad.
    Again, folks, it's a computer. I doubt the programmers have the time to go in and fix every little quirk.

I just never click the button that says "Complete this entry". Works for me!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when the friend does not have an open diary, so I'm not going to congratulate them on being under their goal when i have no clue if they are TOO far under. Or if they eat nothing but junk all of the time with very little nutrients.

Yesterday I had an odd day where I was under 1,200. My diary is open to friends and one of them congratulated me on what a good day it was..... My goal is 1,600, so that wasn't a good day and not something I want to be congratulated for.

But, it is what it is. I don't really pay attention to it that much, I'm more interested in the overall picture.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i changed my settings that it doesnt announce it, mfp hasnt realize some people are trying to bulk up, some people are waaaay under and others are "under" but they only had a pizza for the day
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped replying when I see this. Instead I praise my friends on their workouts.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Maybe turn it off if it bugs you?

I don't know. I tend to tune out repetitive things.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

^^this
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ah, but it praises you right after it reprimanded you in some cases. I'm set to 1200, so any time I'm below, the auto-generated message is sure to let me know that this is a path to certain death. Then if I go to the home screen, it's all excited & using exclamation points. MFP might have a mood disorder.

lol!:laugh:
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I stopped allowing my diary to post partially because of this. It tells you you're not eating enough, but in the same breath almost encourages you to not by posting such things.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can't you change the settings or something so that it doesn't announce it? I'm pretty sure that I had to choose to allow it to post that, along with choosing whether or not to share my diary, and whether or not to share my workouts/calorie burn. I could be wrong.
  • NINtoTheVoid
    Options
    Why does it tell everyone that? Are we trying to always eat under? I sometimes go over, just by a few, and it doesn't broadcast the message that I went over (which I guess is good), lol! But really, what is the purpose of telling us someone was under?

It bugs the heck out of me too, I feel like I'm in the wrong because I went over the EXACT amount of calories that MFP set me at....but that number is an approximation anyways! :grumble:

I think from now on when I see that people are under their goal I'm going to start posting comments "Great job staying in your range, but go eat your extra ### calories!!!" :laugh: :laugh:
  • alison0511
    Options
    Ah, but it praises you right after it reprimanded you in some cases. I'm set to 1200, so any time I'm below, the auto-generated message is sure to let me know that this is a path to certain death. Then if I go to the home screen, it's all excited & using exclamation points. MFP might have a mood disorder.

LOL so true!
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    Why does it tell everyone that? Are we trying to always eat under? I sometimes go over, just by a few, and it doesn't broadcast the message that I went over (which I guess is good), lol! But really, what is the purpose of telling us someone was under?

I think the thinking behind this was that if you go under, and it is advertised, it might encourage the more experienced "Friends/Members" to look at the diary to see if there are any pit falls you should be watching out for. Although the same could be said if you go over and, as you have rightly said, this is not broadcast. I guess that is because you are more likely to know the consequences of going over, and less if you go under. Especially if you are at the lower end of the calorific value scale (1200). Falling below this level for a sustained period of time CAN have SERIOUS LONG TERM consequences. You are also less likely to reach your targets because your body goes into starvation mode and starts to eat away at fats and proteins. Whilst you have more fat than you want, that part is ok, but proteins are far more important and should not be lost when in muscles etc.

I have to say, this doesn't particularly, bother me and, on several occasions, the friends I have on here have reminded me of the consequences of consistently going under (I am on the 1200 cal rate, so it is more important for me). I am lucky in that I have regular access to a dietician and a nutritionist as well as an alternative therapy practitioner, all of whom input on my diary, so I do not go far wrong.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I wonder what it would say if i ate exactly 1200 cals, which is my daily limit?
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    Can't you change the settings or something so that it doesn't announce it? I'm pretty sure that I had to choose to allow it to post that, along with choosing whether or not to share my diary, and whether or not to share my workouts/calorie burn.

I think, if you make the diary public, it does publish. If you keep it private, then it does not. Personally, I prefer to share. I have learned from other diaries and I, HOPE, people can learn from mine. One really good example is QUARK cheese. I had never heard of it. Love cheese and HATE cottage cheese. Quark Cheese was in someone's food diary I looked at. When I saw how little cals, fat and carbs/sugars, I nearly fell of my chair. NOW I eat it ALL the time, and I am still loosing!! That wouldn't have happened if I had not first seen it on someone's food diary. Admittedly I had to look it up, but I am, naturally, curious, so that was not a problem.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    When I had MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week it bothered me because I was at an extreem level already and a little over was good. But now I have MFP set to just lose 1 pound a week and I always am under, and will often leave a deficit.