Did you increase your calories with positive results?

Options
In fact this post should be entitled, "Did you increase your calories with positive OR NEGATIVE results?"

Hey there,

I have recently increased my calories after alot of reading which made me realise that only eating 1200 plus my exercise calories was just plain stupid. I've been living in a calorie deficit for sooo long, no wonder my weight loss kept plateauing (I still have about 14lbs to lose). So a few days ago I worked out my TDEE-15% (1700 cals) and have gradually increased my food to that level - feels like so much food!!

I realise that there are many people on this site who are scared of upping their calories, and therefore stick to very low calories with slow progress. Seeing the scale go up is scary, but my body isn't sure what's going on yet. I am only a few days in and I was prepared for it - but it may freak other out - so I have decided to track the highs and lows of my new healthier way of eating.

I would be really interested to hear from those of you that have upped your calories after previously netting a calorie deficit for a long time (ie net cals below your BMR)...what were your experiences? Did your weight increase at first, and if so how long did it take to settle? What have been the positive and negative effects? And those who tried increasing your calories and returned to low calories again, how long did you do it for and why didn't you stick with it?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• majik0516
    majik0516 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump as I'm thinking of upping my calories too.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see this too as I've just upped my calories, not as much as you but from 1200 to 1390 and I'm a bit worried about what the scales will say come Monday!
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Watching this post closely! I'm on a plateau at the moment, and was wondering the exact same thing and considered increasing my calories - but scared as hell to do it
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I was netting 1200 for the first two months and lost about twenty pounds and the got stuck. Month long plateau. It wasn't until I upped my calories to net 1650 that I was able to start losing and now I'm up to 35 pounds lost. With the additional working out and running I have been doing I did a re-evaluation of my calorie goal and I'm going to try this for a month and see. Right now I am eating about 2100 calories a day, but I do not eat back exercise calories since they are already built into that number.

Also, I am 5'4", and I am a size 10-12 at 189lbs. Google Scooby BMR calculator to calculate your approximate TDEE - 15 or 20 % for your daily calorie goal. And be honest about your activity level. You won't do yourself any favors by over or under estimating that.
  • bvin43
    bvin43 Posts: 2
    Options
    From a male perspective I had a positive result by increasing my calorie intake from 1700 to 2000 calories per day. I had gotten down and was steadily decreasing for about 6 weeks. Weeks 7 and 8 I stayed the same weight while continuing to exercise daily and maintaining my strict 1700 calorie diet. Within two days of increasing my calorie intake to 2000 I noticed the weight loss to kick in again. I read a bit about this on other blogs and it seems to be true that you can put your body into a starvation mode by eating too few calories.

25013850.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bvin43
    bvin43 Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to add that I have been losing weight steadily at my new 2000 calorie limit for the past three weeks.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From my initial start point of 225lb, I started on around 1300 calories.
    An arbitrary figure which a house mate that had an office job was using. While he did walk around a bit for his job, I was doing a LOT of physical activity at work.

I was a little worried I was losing muscle - in reality I think I just wasn't gaining any more, but was losing fat so they looked smaller. I could still lift the same sorts of weight at work (ie car gear boxes etc) with similar effort.

I started using MFP when I'd lost maybe 35-40lb. At the same time I uppped my calories to around 1600 - what MFP suggested for 1000 calories under with a reasonably active life.
    I was still doing a lot of heavy lifting at work, so the idea was to get higher levels of protein in to ensure that not only didn't I lose muscle, but I might even gain some (in the past I HAVE gained some muscle while losing weight with similar tactics.)
    Seems to have worked so far. While my biceps are looking smaller over-all, the muscle it's self is certainly looking bigger and more defined. Do keep meaning to find a tape measure and do some regular measurements. How ever I've still added a few holes to my belt.
    When I started I had trouble fitting in size 36 jeans and actually popped the buckle on one pair that probably wasn't vanity sized.
    Now size 30 is a little too loose and I could just fit in to some size 28s, though they were definitely too tight!
    My work doesn't involve so much carido or anaraboic exercise, but I've been doing more other stuff. Fair bit of rock climbing and yesterday I used the bike to get there and back, as well as around town; giving me 10 miles riding and then did a 5k run in the evening.
    Did eat back my calories though and the (daily reading so doesn't mean much) scales stayed the same despite the cheesecake etc.

Should note that just recently I've changed the base to a more sedentary one, so I record all activity I can now. So the base starts 200 calories lower, but it means I do have to think a bit more if I've spent a day sat around doing computer work.
  • OldBean86
    Options
    I have been reading about TDEE/BMR for the past couple of days and I have to say that I am completely baffled by it.

I am 26 years old, 140 pounds with a goal weight of 126 pounds. I have a desk job but do approx 30 mins of strength/cardio 5 times a week.

MFP has given me a base calorie intake of 1,200 kcals a day which I really do not think is sustainable in the long run.

I'm unsure as to what to do?
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 cal (I am 5'4" and was 165) and lost a bit - down to 150. Then I stalled for over a month. I upped my calories to 2100 per day for 4 weeks to reset my metabolism and am at 148. I plan on doing a 15% cut starting next week. I broke up that many calories into 6 small meals - and I'm still eating healthy food. It is tough to get in all those calories, but it feels great and I am not bloated or overly full. I have seen drops in inches (1.5 off bust/waist) where the scale has not moved.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Yes, still losing (more inches than pounds), exercising smart, eating healthy, never hungry anymore. The best benefit? If I had to do this for the rest of my life? I definitely could. And I definitely will.

Check this site out. All are welcome. :smile:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I gained weight a few years ago when I increased my calories - but I didn't increase my calories on purpose or with the intention of losing weight. It was just a gradual change to my lifestyle that I wasn't really aware of. I ate more when I was a student - way more than I needed to eat, as well as being less active than I'd been before, and so I gained weight.

Upon realising this and deciding to do something about it, I lost weight by decreasing food intake to what I need. Not a deficit, and not counting calories - just eating more sensibly, having smaller portions, reducing junk food, listening to my body, stopping when I'm full, and occasionally having fast days to give my body a rest, and make me more aware of my body. I've found occasional fast days are very helpful for stopping habits of overeating, and making me a lot more sensitive to what my body really needs. I also lost more weight from doing strength exercises - that helped me get more toned too.

I don't know if what worked for me will work for everyone. I only had around 20 pounds to lose.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    MFP has given me a base calorie intake of 1,200 kcals a day which I really do not think is sustainable in the long run.

I'm unsure as to what to do?

The reason MFP gives you this is because you say you want to lose a certain amount in a certain timeframe. Make the timeframe bigger, and it will give you a higher number of calories. Say you want to lose 0.5lb per week, for instance, rather than 2lb per week.

Also, the number it gives you doesn't count what you lose from exercise - if you are exercising regularly, the idea is that you can eat those calories too.
  • tuppestove
    tuppestove Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my net calories are 1200 but my bmi is 1640 which one do you go by,
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was working out hard 6 days a week for an hour at a time and eating 1500-1700 calories. I upped to 2000 and cut my cardio way down and lost 8 pounds in the first month and a half. It's still coming off, but much slower which is fine with me because I like to eat.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    my net calories are 1200 but my bmi is 1640 which one do you go by,

scroll back and read my post. :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    Options
    I was working out hard 6 days a week for an hour and eating 1500-1700 calories. I upped to 2000 and cut my cardio way down and lost 8 pounds in the first month and a half. It's still coming off, but much slower which is fine with me because I like to eat.

That is awesome! Check out the site in my post - other like minded people there!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories because, like everyone else in the world, I wanted to lose the weight as quickly as possible. (Plus exercise calories. I always at my exercise calories.)

That lasted a month, until I realized that the only time I lost more than one pound a week was when I had a stomach flu.

So, I figured, if I'm only going to lose one pound a week, why not set my goal to one pound a week? Then I got 1350. And that very first week, I lost 1.5 pounds. :happy: I continued at that until I got about 10 pounds from my goal, then I switched to a half pound a week, which was around 1500.

When I reached my initial goal weight, I stopped logging on weekends, but kept at 1500. I also increased my protein and aimed for a minimum of 100g a day. That month, I averaged one pound a week. While only trying to lose a half pound a week, and only logging Monday through Friday.

So... yeah, increasing calories was a very good thing for me. In the past, I thought the only way to lose would be to continue to eat less and less and less. I was wrong. :smile:
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Inititally I lost weight doing South Beach Diet and not tracking calories, so i'm not sure what I was netting at first.

For a long while, I ate 1500 calories, or at least I tried to but that was too low for me. I would lose a little but then I would binge and my weight would go back up.

I increased my calories to 1800, but I was still hungry and would overeat.

I have just increased my calories to 1900, and I feel much better now and have not had to overeat. If the weight continues to drop, I will increase the calories again. Eating 1900 and not having to binge because i'm starving is much better than trying to net less and being so hungry I lose control. :\
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories slowly. I started at 1200 too but always ate my exercise calories. I had a very hard time on my rest days. I bumped it up to 1400 for rest days by tried to stay between 1500-1600 during my work out days. That work great for me. When I hit
    my goal I went up 1,680, but didn't always eat my exercise calories. I am now up to 1800plus and I try to stay between 1800-2000 and I don't always eat all my exercise calories. I keep losing more weight and I am beyond my goal. I think I am going to add some more healthy fat when I cook so I can up my calories. I never thought I would say I don't want to lose anymore weight. Make sure your calories are high in nutrition. It is not always about the calories , it is more about the quality of the food. Good Luck on your journey.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    gain fat every time I eat exercise calories back, or try and eat over "bmr."
    no thanks.