What birth control are you using?

Replies

• checof
    checof Posts: 114
    I'm on Implanon, which I totally love, but in an effort to save a little money and go the non-hormonal route, I was thinking of using the Todd Akin method, and just making sure that all my future sexual encounters are legitimate rapes.

LOL
    XD
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    I'm on Implanon, which I totally love, but in an effort to save a little money and go the non-hormonal route, I was thinking of using the Todd Akin method, and just making sure that all my future sexual encounters are legitimate rapes.

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    I have the Mirena IUD. I know you said you don't want to consider it, but I can tell you one of the very best things about it: no period. I haven't had one in a little under 2 years, minus some light spotting. It doesn't have the vast amount of systemic complications and side effects as typical contraceptives do. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Lol
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    I know you don't want an implant, but I have Implanon and I loveee it! It works GREAT, and haven't had any side effects.

I have it too and love it. No side effec issues for me. And I know you also said no to an iud but paraguard is non-hormonal (it's copper) so if you struggle with extra hormones, it might be really good for you
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

I do NOT recommend the implant. I have done it...I did not have menstual for 11 years..now I have to take pills to stable my pituitary tumor from growing.

They advertise a new birth control that has no hormones, but I forget the name..
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Had my tubes tied!
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Hubby is snipped...no worries!

Except we did have a neighbor who, 11 years after getting snipped, got his wife pregnant. It happens!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    prayer

I use that as my back up method when the Todd Akin "legitimate rape" method doesn't work.

i love you more everyday
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    I have the Mirena IUD. I know you said you don't want to consider it, but I can tell you one of the very best things about it: no period. I haven't had one in a little under 2 years, minus some light spotting. It doesn't have the vast amount of systemic complications and side effects as typical contraceptives do. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Lol

I would LOVE to not have TOM visit me!
  • Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    It depends how permanent you want it all to be. I have had a child, been sterilised, tried Implanon (messed me up), tried depo and have been told now been on it too long, can't take pills i forget them, the coil sounds bloody sadistic and quite frankly i don't like the idea of it.

so we hit a crossroads what to do!! i have been recommended an Endometrial Ablation which is soooo very permanent so if you want kids in future not a good idea. It basically is a process of burning away them lining forever only an odd 1% get rebuild but the 2nd time treatment works for sure. anyhow look it up if its sounds your thing
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    They make a type of spermicidal insert that we use, or just plain old condoms. My blood pressure got too high and they took me off the pill, gave me norvaring.... which I stopped using when I found out could be worse for me because of the very reason they took me off the pills.

I've thought about an IDU, but the one time I asked the doc told me since I've never had children it really wasn't an option.

If the IUD request was a while ago and you are still interested I'd try again. I'm 31 and had Mirena implanted in Januart. I also do not have any children. IUD are not what they used to be. They used to tell woman that did not have any children they couldnt have the IUD because of the copper content in the device but Mirena is plastic so that's no longer an issue. Just in case you cared. lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    The pull out method! Doctors say its not effective but I have been kid free since Puberty!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    prayer

I use that as my back up method when the Todd Akin "legitimate rape" method doesn't work.

FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Fertility Awareness Method (NOT rhythm method). Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

OMG I was waiting for someone to say this! It is called understanding your body! Women can only get pregnant for a small window in their cycle, when they ovulate. And if you have minimal days of what they call "Fertile" cervical fluid, the window can be very small. Have as much sex as you want when you are NOT ovulating and either abstain for the 5-6 days while you ARE ovulating or use a rubber! As far as I am concerned ALL other forms of birth control probably have some type of side effect, whether we know it or not. I just got off Nuvo Ring and I have not ovulated for over 70 days now! I am giving it another couple of weeks then I am going to go see the doctor. I would not have know what was going on had I not been tracking my temperatures per the above method. I just read the above book and I am 150% a total advocate that ALL women should read it.

...umm, abstain? 5-6 days when ovulating, 5-6 days when menstruating? Oh Hell no. :huh:

A little off topic, but I just discovered this wonderful invention called Softcups. You wear them during your period and they "capture" everything and you can still have sex. My BF wants to sing their praises...forever. :smile:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

How about Natural Family Planning. We have been doing it for over 10 years with great success. It is 99% effective, safe, and 100% immediately reversible. There are no side effects besides a stronger marriage.
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Microgynon 30 works for me! It can make you gain a little bit of weight but it regulates your periods and hormones :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I think about my children.
    That pretty much makes sex impossible.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Since I heard from Todd Akin you can't get pregnant from rape I hide in the closet and wait for my wife to get out of the shower.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    My wife uses the "chasitty cage method" of birth control. Personally, I am not a fan, but she sure seems to enjoy it.
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member

This is terrible and hilarious at the same time!