Shedding Light in the Dark Corners

Options
Therapists say that when you are finally able to talk about the things that shame you, you're on the road to recovery. For about two decades, I've been shamed by the worst kept secret in all of mankind-- I am grossly, morbidly, hugely and ridiculously obese. Not "yo' mama's so fat," fat. Waaaaaaay beyond that. We're talking, "hey, how is it that you still don't need a motor scooter to get around," fat and "I was pretty sure you'd be dead by now" fat. The kind of fat that even when people are being nice in front of your face, you know they're talking about you over their lattes, their protein beverages or their "rabbit food" lunches. The kind of fat that, if you don't want to end up killing yourself, you develop a strong sense of humor and what I've been told is a quick wit, as a defense mechanism.

This morning is weighing day. But, you see, I don't weigh at a doctor's office. I weigh at home. On a scale that I bought. From a "large lifestyle" (God, I HATE euphemisms for fat) product website. I call her (the scale, not my wife) "Old Reliable." Old Reliable is marketed to fat people who require a capacity of either 500 pounds (the expensive version) or 1000 pounds (the really expensive version). It is a good enough scale. It measures my weight fairly accurately, but only to the nearest whole pound. On the bright side, it doesn't scream in agony when I step on it (which I'm pretty sure I'd do if I stepped on me). Its dials don't spin around wildly like some old time cartoon, and it doesn't short out, sending sparks flying everywhere just because I am standing on it.

Despite its shortcomings, I love that scale. "Why?," you might ask, knowing that for years it has been delivering me bad news about my ever increasing girth and ever decreasing life expectancy. The reason is simple. Over the past 35 or so days, Old Reliable has been forced to admit that through modifying my eating habits and actually getting out of my recliner regularly, my weight is dropping. From a high of 478 (pre-MFP) down through the 470's, then the 460's, and the 450's, until this morning. This morning was special.

I normally drive my 12 year old son to school in the mornings. We listen to a locally produced "morning show" that is a mix of pop music and humerous banter. For those of you in Houston, it is "Roula and Ryan" on 104 KRBE. Jake (who is a great kid who is taking singing and acting lessons along with Bar Mitzvah lessons, baseball lessons and maintaining straight A's in school) and I laugh along to the comedy bits and sing along to the music during our 14-20 minutes together in the car (depending on traffic and whether a train is blocking North Braeswood or Bellaire when we're trying to get him to school). This morning I let Mrs. R take Jake to school because I had an appointment. With Old Reliable.

You see, I knew I was hovering in the low 450's. I also knew that I had a particularly good eating and exercising day yesterday. I gambled that I would be able to choke another pound or two out of that scale as a result of my efforts. So after Jake and Mrs. R finally left the house, I jumped in the shower (those few hairs that end up in the drain count for some weight, right?), scrubbed with my exfoliating loofah extra well (hey, dead skin cells count for some weight, right?), toweled off (excess water on the skin counts for some weight, right?), walked right past my underwear drawer unused (DON'T worry... no pictures are included in this message), and strode to the scale (damn, I didn't wear my fitbit... guess I wasted those 17 steps). I took a deep breath (to properly aerate my remaining fat cells... that has got to make them lighter, right?) and stepped on Old Reliable. I had both of my eyes tightly shut until I made sure that my weight was properly distributed on her. Finally, I slowly opened one eye. Frankly, I do not believe that the "one eye" procedure changes the weight on the scale at all. However, it is a dramatic bit that I have seen on movies, and dammit, I'm allowed to be dramatic if I want to be. I saw the first 4, which I expected. But squinting through one barely opened eye, it looked like it had an identical twin next to it. The only way I could be sure would be to open the other eye so that my vision normalized. So I did. 449. Yes, it said 449.

Now, I fully realize that if your scales said, 449, you'd be in total agony, ready to jump off the nearest bridge. But for me 449 is a victory. A big one. It represents the fact that I am only double digits (not triple digits) away from fitting on a REAL scale that is designed for people and not freight (or small footed oxen). 350 is also the weight that I have decided would probably allow me to comfortably fit into a real car instead of the 7-year old minivan that I have driven because I can't really fit into a regular car. 350 is a weight that will allow me to comfortably umpire little league baseball next spring instead of wheezing and gasping to do the volunteer job that I love so much. And now, instead of being 128 pounds away, it is only 99 pounds away. 99 pounds. I can do that! One pound... one day... one exercise walk... one right eating choice at a time. With perserverence, and if I continue to reduce my calories and increase my exercise as my weight and TDEE drops, I can be at 350 at or around March 1st of next year. And if I don't make it there by March 1st, wherever I end up will be so much healthier than where I was a month ago, where I am right now. And that's a good thing.

So, sometime next spring, if you happen to know someone who wants or needs a scale that pretty accurately measures weight up to 1000 pounds (454 kg. or 72 stone, for my new friends "over the Pond"), let me know. You see, by then, I plan to be using a real doctor's scale that real people can fit on. And when that happens, I will lovingly pack Old Reliable in a box, tape it shut, and send her, without charge, to someone else who needs to create his or her own miracle.

Have a wonderful rest of your Wednesday.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    Congrats to you! Every pound matters! You are an excellent writer by the way. You have a way with words!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That is a big victory and with all of your hard work I'm sure you will acheive your new goals. A very inspiring and moving story. :smile:
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    And now, instead of being 128 pounds away, it is only 99 pounds away. 99 pounds. I can do that! One pound... one day... one exercise walk... one right eating choice at a time. With perserverence, and if I continue to reduce my calories and increase my exercise as my weight and TDEE drops, I can be at 350 at or around March 1st of next year. And if I don't make it there by March 1st, wherever I end up will be so much healthier than where I was a month ago, where I am right now. And that's a good thing.

This is EXACTLY what it's about. One change at a time. One pound at a time. Every success is a victory.

So, sometime next spring, if you happen to know someone who wants or needs a scale that pretty accurately measures weight up to 1000 pounds (454 kg. or 72 stone, for my new friends "over the Pond"), let me know. You see, by then, I plan to be using a real doctor's scale that real people can fit on. And when that happens, I will lovingly pack Old Reliable in a box, tape it shut, and send her, without charge, to someone else who needs to create his or her own miracle.

Create your own miracle - that's really true. Congrats, Scott! I always look forward to your posts!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Wonderful and inspiring! Thank -you for taking the time to write this and good luck!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That is a big victory and with all of your hard work I'm sure you will acheive your new goals. A very inspiring and moving story. :smile:

Congratulations Scott! You should be very proud of your hard work so far! Thank you for the inspiring story. Keep it up- you can do this!!!
  • geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    Great story, and an even BETTER job!!! And what a fantastic attitude! Good for you. Keep it up!
  • Toofhairy
    Toofhairy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Inspiring and very well written. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us!
  • Peteshaped
    Peteshaped Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One by one. The bible was totally wrong with it's "two by two" thing. It's one by one. Good work matey :)
  • midcenturymodern69
    Options
    Scott, you are a wonderful writer. You have done very well so far with your weight loss. Be proud of what you've done and what you will continue to do, especially with your helpful tools of a Fitbit and Myfitnesspal. I have a son named Jake that's pretty fantastic too. Have a great day!
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is my very first post.....................but your story is awesome and your writing is hilarious. Congrats to you and way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What an awesome morning! Way to go! You inspire me...and your writing style is superb! I look forward to reading more! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Outstanding Scott! WTG!

I hope that weight comes off even faster than your hoping.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love this post!! I wish you the best on your continued journey, from a fellow Texan (and use to be Houstonian!!)!! Congrats!!!
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great outlook!

I love your writing. And this just made my day.

Wishing you continued success!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am SO proud of you! What a wonderful attitude, thank you for sharing
  • abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you for sharing--that was really inspiring, and I love that you are just having a great attitude--keep it up!
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    I love your slightly dry sense of humour! :laugh:
    Keep it up and thank you for sharing!

And congrats for losing those pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Way to go Scott! Your posts are so great, thanks for being such a great inspiration! I know you will get to your goal!
  • Aidan2312
    Aidan2312 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you should write books..........what a fab post. Well done and keep it going!!!
  • mirandaallyn
    mirandaallyn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making me cry tears of joy for you at my desk this morning. Truly inspiring. With an attitude like that I have no doubt that you will reach your March 1st goal, and beyond. Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!