Pregnancy 2010 - Week 3

Options

Replies

• LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Awe - big hugs to you Angela! Hang in there!
  • jeniandeson6379
    Options
    Hi everyone!

This is my 1st post. I will be posting my first initial weight loss tomorrow when i purchase my wii fit:) Im so excited!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa!

Welcome Jeni!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Congratulations tahmed! What a great feeling to be in the 1's! I can't wait to be there. I also hide the prenatal vitamins when anybody comes over. I told some friends we want to start late summer, but nobody else. I don't want the questions either.

Angela, I hope you are feeling better soon. Between being sick and the nausea, it would be really hard to go to work. You mentioned you get migrains - have you been safe so far during the first weeks of pregnancy? That's one of my fears for when I am.

I also am excited for the drink water challenge. I have not been so great at that lately and could use a challenge. I also was finding it really time-consuming to log EVERYTHING I ate, so I tried eye-balling things and ending up 2 lbs. heavier! I'm hoping it's water, the time, etc. I'm going to check again tomorrow and then start logging my food away.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Welcome to everyone new that I have not said hi to.
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I usually do weigh-ins on Mondays, so today's weigh-in was only for three days. I lost 1 pound!! Yay, I know it's only one pound, but losing keeps me motivated to work harder. I drank about 20 ounces of water so far today, which is a pretty good day for me. I'll probably be able to double my water intake tomorrow. Baby steps...
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Congratulations tahmed! What a great feeling to be in the 1's! I can't wait to be there. I also hide the prenatal vitamins when anybody comes over. I told some friends we want to start late summer, but nobody else. I don't want the questions either.

Angela, I hope you are feeling better soon. Between being sick and the nausea, it would be really hard to go to work. You mentioned you get migrains - have you been safe so far during the first weeks of pregnancy? That's one of my fears for when I am.

I also am excited for the drink water challenge. I have not been so great at that lately and could use a challenge. I also was finding it really time-consuming to log EVERYTHING I ate, so I tried eye-balling things and ending up 2 lbs. heavier! I'm hoping it's water, the time, etc. I'm going to check again tomorrow and then start logging my food away.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Welcome to everyone new that I have not said hi to.

Yes, no migraine for about a week and a half! ... although ... since I've been sick I've been taking tylenol everyday so that could be part of why my migraines have been under control. BUT I'M COUNTING ON NO MIGRAINES THIS PREGNANCY!!!

Guamchar: good job on the weight loss! Every little bit counts! 1 pound in three days is pretty darn good!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    So I know I shouldn't be, but I weighed in again today (and yesterday) and I'm not losing! I'm almost going up, and I'mn ot sure why. Next week is my TOM, but I can't imagine that qaffecting it this much. I've been doing well with calories (if I go over, it's only just barely).

I wonder, when I'm at the gym I'm only doing cardio right now (while increasing the levels on the machine). Should I add strength training into the mix now? Will that make a difference? And how do I balance the two equally throughout the week to shed pounds (and earn calories)?

Help!

Oh - finally took my measurments - they are the exact same as they were in September when I joined. That's good in some ways, so I'm going to try not to focus on that.

Also, I gt my surgery date, for 25 Mar 2010. The doc wants me to be at 206 by then. I really need this to work. Please help me! I'm feeling a little disheartened about all this.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So I know I shouldn't be, but I weighed in again today (and yesterday) and I'm not losing! I'm almost going up, and I'mn ot sure why. Next week is my TOM, but I can't imagine that qaffecting it this much. I've been doing well with calories (if I go over, it's only just barely).

I wonder, when I'm at the gym I'm only doing cardio right now (while increasing the levels on the machine). Should I add strength training into the mix now? Will that make a difference? And how do I balance the two equally throughout the week to shed pounds (and earn calories)?

Help!

Oh - finally took my measurments - they are the exact same as they were in September when I joined. That's good in some ways, so I'm going to try not to focus on that.

Also, I gt my surgery date, for 25 Mar 2010. The doc wants me to be at 206 by then. I really need this to work. Please help me! I'm feeling a little disheartened about all this.

I am no expert, but I would recommend doing a little strength training as well. I typically will do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical, and then I head over to the strength machines. I do about 10 minutes of strength. I alternate days, focusing on legs one day and arms the next. I feel like this has helped a bit. I am starting to notice the muscles in my thighs and upper arms....even through all the fat that is left. I have heard pro's and con's about doing strength training after cardio, but for me it works, and I feel great when I get done. I notice if I don't have time, and just to the elliptical I feel good, but not as good as that tingling feeling after I have done some strength training.

Also, (this is hard for me to say, because I have been doing this as well this week), but try not to get on the scale every day. I fell into the trap of getting on every day, and it really hurt me. If I went up a pound or two, I would get really depressed, figure this wasn't going to work, and would pig out ALL day long, feeling sorry for myself, and it would become a downward spiral.

Hope you all have a great weekend. My mom is in town for a week and a half so it should be interesting. We both like to eat out, so hopefully I will have the willpower to choose smart!
  • tahmed
    Options
    Opps, double post
  • 00Angela00
    Options

Help!

DON'T WEIGH IN EVERYDAY! You're getting discouraged! If you really want to do it twice a week, but everyday is going to make you feel like there's no hope AND THERE IS!

That being said yes you do need to do strength training. building muscle also helps with weight loss and helps you continue to burn calories even after your done working out. It's best to combine the both.

I don't remember you mentioning surgery ... what did I miss?
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I have a bicornuate uterus, so the surgery is to remove the septum. The doc says after that I should be good to go for babies, but it's caused some problems in the past.

I'll be out of walking commission for 3 days or so, and it'll take 2-3 weeks for me to be able to move normaly. I've started doing exercises for my inner core muscles, and I really needto drop weight.

How should I arrange my fitness week to incorporate both? I can't handle cadio before weights (I sweat and hate leaving sweating prints on the machines when I stand up - even though I wipe it down afterwards). I want to be able to do both....
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a bicornuate uterus, so the surgery is to remove the septum. The doc says after that I should be good to go for babies, but it's caused some problems in the past.

I'll be out of walking commission for 3 days or so, and it'll take 2-3 weeks for me to be able to move normaly. I've started doing exercises for my inner core muscles, and I really needto drop weight.

How should I arrange my fitness week to incorporate both? I can't handle cadio before weights (I sweat and hate leaving sweating prints on the machines when I stand up - even though I wipe it down afterwards). I want to be able to do both....

I have actually heard that free weights are better, cause you are actually burning more calories using them cause you are standing and lifting and not sitting and lifting. (I think it was on 30 Day Shred that Jillian said that?) But this is what I was told by someone that worked with a Personal Trainer before. Do like a 10-15 min. warm-up on the treadmill (brisk walking) Do your strength training, (squats, lunges, curls, sit-ups etc.) then do your cardio. That is if you want to do it all in one day. I on the other hand switch off every day. I do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 2-3 days. Good Luck..You CAN do this!!!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    actually doing weights before cardio helps you burn even MORE calories! It's harder to do the same amount of time in cardio though cause your muscles are sore, so you really have to stick it out ... but you can certainly do weights first.
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Angela-I'm glad you haven;'t gotten any migrains. Good for you.

I also think the cardio and strength training is the best way to go. You can do strength training first. I have also heard that makes you burn more calories. I always did it the other way, but I think I might switch it up.

Don't weigh everyday! I got on the scale and thought I gained 2 lbs and the next day it was gone, and has not been back. It could have been anything. I didn't lose last week, but I didn't gain, and I am okay as long as that is a one week thing.
  • meisje
    meisje Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    good morning everyone!
    due to work and all, i have been only been able to check in about once a week lately - and then it takes me 20 minutes to catch up on everyone's great news/progress/joys and stuggles... :heart:
    i would like to request some advice if possible: i have always had an incredibly weak back and it seems like it is in constant pain lately (what are the next 7 months going to do to it??? yikes!!) - any tips on how to strengthen it? and how to continue those exercizes as i get a bigger belly?
    no morning sickness or real nausea for me yet, although i do react pretty loudly to nasty smells (my husband cooked red cabbage the other night and, unfortunately, got an earful!) :embarassed:
    anyway, i haven't been able to excerise as much as i want due to overwhelming exhaustion when i get home from work in the evenings. but eating has been going quite well - i am such a fruit addict!!! i have also been soooo thirsty lately, so the water challenge is great - hope that we can all stick to it and continue with our day by day goals that will bring us so much happiness in the end!!!
    :drinker:
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    That's funny about the fruit thing, meisje. My best friend is about two months pregnant, and she said she is addicted to fruit right now too and has been having soooo much during the day.

As for the back, they always say when you strengthen your abs, your back muscles get stronger. One affects the other. I don't know how well that will work being pregnant though. I would ask your doctor for recommendations.

Hope everybody is enjoying their Saturday morning.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I'm totally into fruit right now too. haha.

I have a migraine today, first one in almost 2 weeks, which has been awesome. I had a massage yesterday and left with my head feeling a little tense. *sigh, so sad, I was hoping for 9 + months a no problems.

I still haven't been able to exercise and have a big feeling that I have probably gained my 6 pounds back. *sigh, I feel better today though so will be starting exercising again.

Does anyone know if it's ok to continue running your frist trimester? I've read that you shouldn't workout until you're completely out of breath because it takes oxygen away from the baby, but the article didn't say what stage in pregnancy so I'm not sure if that is for later on or for the entire pregnancy? I can always go back to walking ... but would love to keep running while I can.
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    My friend is in her first trimester and has always worked out. Her doctor told her she could continue since she always has, but to keep her heart rate in a certain zone. I would ask your doctor.
  • tahmed
    Options
    My friend also ran while pregnant. She ran up until 2 weeks before giving birth, but her doctor said she was OK to do so, since she had been running before getting pregnant.

I have done great on the water this week, making it every day except Sunday. I haven't gone to the gym though since my mom is here.

I have joined a pregancy study through the Cleveland Clinic. They have done a lot of retroactive studies, but never one on mom's before and during pregnancy. They believe that a mom's BMI when getting pregnant has a direct effect on a babies BMI when born, and later in life. They said basically two women can both have 8lb babies that look identical, but when you look at the babies BMI, they belive a baby will have a higher fat consentration if a mom has a higher BMI. I think it is very very interesting. I will keep you updated on the steps I have to go through.

I am not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow either. I am hoping to not have gained. That would be a huge accomplishment considering the food I ate this weekend. Interestingly enough, my body is making me pay for the weekend though...I have felt so sick to my stomach after all that greasy, cheesy food!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I think I'll probably continue my work out until I see the doc in 2 weeks and then see what they say. I'll just be careful not to overdo anything.

I'm really nervous about weigh in as well. OH and yesterday I went into my bosses office to grab something and she was like "oh my gosh you're already showing!" ... um no, that's my fat, not my baby haha. So embarrassing!

I've been bad on water intake this week :-( I met my goal yesterday and will kick butt to meet it today. I've still drank more water the rest of the week than usual, but not my 8 glasses. *sigh