I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my old housemate was hilarious when it came to food and dieting... one of her so called "healthy" dinners when she was on her diet was cottage pie, doesnt sound too horrific until you hear the ingredients - mince fried then the left over as she called it "juices" used to make up some packet gravy, tinned carrots, packet of stuffing, instant mashed potato, then 3 different types of cheese on top...
    but then she is someone who when "dieting" would order late night take aways and get them delivered through her window so we wouldnt know :|
    x
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!

The commercial lauds it as a healthy way to have an energetic day. Wholesome milk, hazelnuts, cocoa.... No mention of sugar. People see the commercial but don't think to read the label. Uh... How do you think it gets sweet? Wasn't the hazelnuts. Lol

I hate the commercial. Love nutella. I can't keep it in the house.

There are recipes out there to make your own chocolate-hazelnut spread, and you can control the amount of sugar (or use a substitute, like stevia). Dark chocolate and hazelnuts ARE healthy, in moderation, and boy are they tasty together. :flowerforyou:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well maybe *one* fish sandwich from McD's is healthier than the 2-3 they might otherwise get. I know this is true for me at times. I still love the occasional fast food, but I just try to tone it down from the portions I would normally get. I used to get 4-5 sandwiches when I'd stop at the Golden Arches, but now only get one or two. For me, this is healthier. Sure it would be great to cut it out all together, but why deprive myself of that occasional joy?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The pre-packaged "diet" foods for sure! Low fat options filled with sugar. Low sugar options filled with trans fat. Nutritionally lacking tiny portions filled with little natural food. Avoiding healthy fats and whole grains because sugar and fat are bad.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    that merely eating Subway will help you lose weight. I don't eat Subway, ever...because I don't care for the food. But I hate how I've known people that think they can eat whatever they want at Subway and lose weight because Jared did. I used to point out the fine print at the bottom of the giant cardboard Jared and read them all the details (no cheese, no mayo...turkey and ect versus your high calorie meats). They have healthy options, if you're going to get takeaway it is a better choice than say...pizza. But it is not all healthy options.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My friend told me the other day that Taco Bell wasn't unhealthy since its "just ground beef" and not fried like most other fast food.....

ummmmm ....

I believe Taco Bell got in trouble for labeling their meat as ground beef because it isn't. It is actually "meat product" because of the additives.
  • Paco0919
    Paco0919 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can look up Not My Mama's Meals on the cooking channel website. Her son Bobby tries to revamp her recipes to make them somewhat healthier. It's interesting to watch, too.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.

I have the same problem with my in-laws regarding my 11 year old niece. I took her and my son to Krystals (which is like White Castle, but the Southern version). She wanted 6 cheese Krystals, and at the most I can only eat three at one meal. Plus she wanted a super-size fries and Coke. I thought she was joking, so I called her mother to ask if that was normal. She said yes.

Needless to say, we ended up going with a 4-piece chicken nugget meal from McDonald's (with apple dippers). My husband, his sister and her husband, their mother, and myself are all overweight. Both of our kids are also big. However, my son and I are doing much better with eating habits, while the rest of them continue to get bigger. I'm at a loss with the whole situation.
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I meant no harm by this thread and was not trying to "downgrade" her by any means. She has asked me for advice on several occasions because she has seen me bring my lunch, which is pretty balanced. I would never, ever cross the boundary of giving her lifestyle advice just because she doesn't practice the same nutrition as me. She's asked many times, so maybe that's why I find it frustrating.

When I said it's "sad", I meant that I wish everyone could make the healthy choices so much of us have finally started making. "Sad" because her health is going downhill and she is confused as to why. I feel for her, and wish she could lose the weight to improve her health, that's all. I meant well, promise!

Also, the fish sandwich with extra mayo and fries is healthier than a Big Mac, with extra mayo and fries in that it has less calories and fat. I am well aware of that. I was just stating that it wasn't "healthy".

I guess the post was me just getting frustrated by her daily complaints about not fitting into her clothes or being out of breath from walking to the bathroom. I realize it's her food and her decision though. Thanks for all the input!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

i have a co woker who tries to say donuts and fried chicken strips and fried potatoes are good for you becasue they arent processed food LOL
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Cereal.
    I know ALOT of people who believe sugary cereals (some that have equal sugar to sweets) are healthy. I know people who have done cereal diets and basically just ate sugar!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just for another perspective:

My husband worked in day care for a while. One of his students had a genetic disorder that required her to eat high-protein, high-fat (read grease) foods on a regular basis to avoid severe illness. Every day she had pizza, burgers, greasy nasty bad food.

But for her, it WAS healthy. She was wiry, tiny, energetic... but only on that diet.

It's good to help people make better choices, but sometimes we don't know what the better choice is for that person. Offer help carefully. Just because we've learned a lot about our bodies doesn't mean we understand what's going on with anyone else.

i know what disorderb your talking about. when they say high fat they mean healthy fats. that diet isss bad for ANYONE! They mean nuts, avacados, olive oil etc. NOT deep fried!!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Just for another perspective:

My husband worked in day care for a while. One of his students had a genetic disorder that required her to eat high-protein, high-fat (read grease) foods on a regular basis to avoid severe illness. Every day she had pizza, burgers, greasy nasty bad food.

But for her, it WAS healthy. She was wiry, tiny, energetic... but only on that diet.

It's good to help people make better choices, but sometimes we don't know what the better choice is for that person. Offer help carefully. Just because we've learned a lot about our bodies doesn't mean we understand what's going on with anyone else.

i know what disorderb your talking about. when they say high fat they mean healthy fats. that diet isss bad for ANYONE! They mean nuts, avacados, olive oil etc. NOT deep fried!!

How do you know the disorder I'm talking about? I'm talking she needed GREASE, not oil. Her parents and her doctor knew what they were dealing with, and eating burgers, pizza, chips and fries was the only way the kid stayed healthy.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Qoute: My husband thinks anything homemade is healhy.... (forgot to hit the quote button...)

LOL
    My husband thinks the same thing.
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.

holy **** do you really think thats the reason why she no long has you as a sitter?
    couldn't be that you were being a ***** and trying to dictate how she raised HER kids huh?
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My parents didn't really try to teach me proper nutrition, so I was one of those clueless people trying to lose weight and not understanding why I couldn't lose weight while eating a diet that mostly consisted of Cheetos and diet soda...

I'm much better about my eating habits now, but I definitely understand how people can get misinformed about what proper nutrition consists of.
  • Blmarlborough
    Options
    Low Fat Yogurt. It might be low fat, but the extra 20g or so of added sugars doesn't exactly help.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

Did your coworker ask for your input? If not, then don't give it. NUNYA. And if so, well, next time you know better.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks a Subway tuna sandwich is healthy because it's tuna....he forgets how much mayo there is. Granted, it's better than a Big Mac....
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Well, a Filet-o-Fish IS healthy compared to a snickers bar and a coke for lunch, no?

400 cal.... I don't see why someone can't have one every now and then