In need of quick filling breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• sasaroo
    sasaroo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to share my daily favorite breakfast with you!! It started out as very simple french toast, and now has morphed into something bigggg..... but still clocks in at 223 calories. It is now more like a skillet bread pudding because I tear up the bread slices.

I use egg whites in the carton from Egg Beaters and mix it with all this stuff. Start with about 1/2c, might add more as you add all the other stuff. It's really low calorie base for your breakfast.
    Spices:
    Cinnamon
    Vanilla
    Nutmeg

For extra nutrition add in some:
    Wheat Germ
    plain Wheat Bran
    Ground up Flax seeds (so healthy!)
    Dont worry if you don't have all these things, they all just pump up the nutrition.

Fruit!
    Add PUMPKIN PUREE!!! Adds protein, and very little calories. I know it sounds weird, but try it. I use a spoonful, doesn't really add heavy pumpkin flavor.
    Add Plumazins and/or Raisins (Plumazins are basically dried prunes cut into raisin sized pieces. Lower in calories than raisins)
    You could add your own favorite dried fruit, also could try mashed bananas or other stuff!

Use Sarah Lee 40 calorie whole wheat bread, (or equivalent) and tear it up. When you tear it up it can absorb all the good stuff better. Two slices per person.

Use a nice hot nonstick frying pan, a little spray of oil if you need it... when it is hothothot turn out your luscious mixture and spread it out with the back of the spoon so that it is uniformly less than 1 inch.... flip carefully when browned and eat it with sugar free syrup, if you need more sweetness.

It is so big, and yummy!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me seems to be a time where I have to watch and make sure my blood sugar (I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic) is stable. I want to avoid spikes so that I'm not later excessively hungry or lose energy or mood. So good fibrous carbs and protein really help.

An example would be this; spinach (I use appx 4 cups) and frozen rasberry (about 3/4 cup, then just add water) smoothie with 2 boiled eggs. I would strongly suggest avoiding white starches because of how highly glycemic they are and how devoid of nutrition they are compared to other things that can give you better nutrition and be less glycemic. They may taste and feel wonderful at first as they fill your stomach but then they quickly blow through it and leave you VERY hungry. Not good.

ETA; Maybe I'm just weird but I would totally avoid any grain, bread, cereal, muffin, etc... I don't care if its whole wheat, multigrain and has sticks coming out of it. An hour later I would be starving. I tried all of that and was getting nowhere until my trainer (an author and nutritionist) made me stop it. Then my appetite normalized and my bodyfat went from 25% to 12%.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I found some very low cal spinach quiche muffins...I think I saved them in my recipes. They are about 108 cals each for my "calorie friendly version" and the bigger one's (which I made for my bf) are 210 I believe each. Message me and I'll send you the recipe cause I can't do it right now.

But you can always find the recipes online and just tweak them a bit with friendlier ingredients, a yogurt or fruit with coffee makes a very filling breakfast!

I've been having oatmeal (instant, plain) with coffee and a fruit and its been keeping me full till lunch.
  • acmanchester
    Options
    Try Dannon light and fit yogurt, 1/4 cut kashi and blueberries, strawberries and rasberries, it is both nutritional, low in calories and very filling
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I find a shreddies style cereal is very filling and very low cal. UK Sainsburys Apricot wholewheats (50g) with 100ml skimmed milk. Filling but under 200cals. Keeps me full until late morning. Simple, quick, tasty. Lovely. I'm only on 1200cals per day, so this is a perfect start for me. To boost cals why not top with chopped banana or nuts.
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats

I use either regular old fashion oat meal or steal cut oats bout 1/4 cup
    Almond milk or milk 1 cup
    Cinnamon
    Stevia or sugar of your choice
    Wee bit of vanilla
    Add to mason jar or container.
    Refrigerate over night for about 7 to 10 hrs depending on oats
    Pull it out in the a.m add a bit more of milk shake or warm up if u like and drink away. sometimes i add nuts or protein powder to it. Very yum and ready for a person on the go
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So jealous of all the egg eaters........LOL
    I miss omlettes and quiche and scrambled eggs.......damn food allergy. :ohwell:

Ok, done whining.....carry on :laugh:
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My favorites -- in under 15 minutes:

Sautee fresh mushrooms and peppers in a pat of butter, sprinkle with a bit of worchesershire.... mix in with scrambled eggs (I do 1 whole and 2 egg whites.... sometimes I add a bit of cheese, or if I have any ham, etc... but watch teh sodium!

english muffin with peanut butter (my staple on a "running late" morning)

Egg sandwhich - 2 egg whites cooked in my micro cooker, slice of velveeta

I really notice the difference in my appetite when I fuel up with protien and avoid too sugar or carbs in the morning.
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - breakfast is the HARDEST meal for me...
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    I didn't see it so I'll put it here:

I call it Lazy *kitten* Cinnamon Toast..
    I make toast with Healthy Life Low Carb High Fiber Bread
    Smear with a little Move over Butter
    Sprinkle the slice with heavy cinnamon & then a packet of Splenda -

It's about 70 calories a slice, 13 carbs, 5g Fiber
    I like to pair it up with a Muscle Milk Light for extra protein.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Porridge is a good one. I like low fat natural yoghurt over a tonne of fruit with a handful of cereal for a wee crunch :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My favorites - I found these bagel bars from Costco, called Energy Bagels. Basically cinnamon bagel dough stuffed with nuts and dried fruits, 216 calories per. I toast them and spread with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
    Greek yogurt, Fage with fruit is my favorite.
    2 eggs with whatever veggies I have laying around.

Keep in mind, the higher protein, the longer you are going to feel full from something. Cereal will leave you starving in a couple of hours, but eggs and toast will keep your tummy happy. Oatmeal is pretty great for that too :)
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was 692 calories today. It was very filling! (This was after my pre and post workout snacks). How many cals are you looking for?
    I prefer no more than 400 cuz i only get 1670 a day.

I only get 1400 calories per day, but I have found that if I eat a filling breakfast of 500-600 calories that I'm much less hungry throughout the day and it doesn't become an issue where calories are concerned. You may want to try it unless you find something that really satisfies you on the 400 calorie limit you've set for yourself.
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Two hard boiled eggs, an apple and a banana which is about 310 calories and very filling for me.

An unprocessed protein with slow digesting carbohydrates will fill you up the best. No sugary cereals, no yogurts with sugar in the ingredients, no white toast or jelly, no instant oatmeal, etc. Those type of foods will make you hungry in an hour, produce, protein, and very whole unprocessed grains should keep you full.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    My favorite is two eggs scrambled (I don't add any milk) with sliced jalapenos and topped with 1/4 cup of reduced fat cheddar! Yummy!!!
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    bump
  • meg1hirschi
    Options
    I am so excited to share my daily favorite breakfast with you!! It started out as very simple french toast, and now has morphed into something bigggg..... but still clocks in at 223 calories. It is now more like a skillet bread pudding because I tear up the bread slices.

I use egg whites in the carton from Egg Beaters and mix it with all this stuff. Start with about 1/2c, might add more as you add all the other stuff. It's really low calorie base for your breakfast.
    Spices:
    Cinnamon
    Vanilla
    Nutmeg

For extra nutrition add in some:
    Wheat Germ
    plain Wheat Bran
    Ground up Flax seeds (so healthy!)
    Dont worry if you don't have all these things, they all just pump up the nutrition.

Fruit!
    Add PUMPKIN PUREE!!! Adds protein, and very little calories. I know it sounds weird, but try it. I use a spoonful, doesn't really add heavy pumpkin flavor.
    Add Plumazins and/or Raisins (Plumazins are basically dried prunes cut into raisin sized pieces. Lower in calories than raisins)
    You could add your own favorite dried fruit, also could try mashed bananas or other stuff!

Use Sarah Lee 40 calorie whole wheat bread, (or equivalent) and tear it up. When you tear it up it can absorb all the good stuff better. Two slices per person.

Use a nice hot nonstick frying pan, a little spray of oil if you need it... when it is hothothot turn out your luscious mixture and spread it out with the back of the spoon so that it is uniformly less than 1 inch.... flip carefully when browned and eat it with sugar free syrup, if you need more sweetness.

It is so big, and yummy!
    omg im so trying that!
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    do you use the Missions low carb - high fiber tortillas?
  • kbbauchle
    kbbauchle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is a protein smoothie. Between 325-375 calories, it makes a HUGE serving and keeps me full until 1pm or so.

Green Smoothie: 1 cup almond milk (35 calories), 1 tsp of fish oil (can't taste it at all), I scoop protein powder (I use Bodylogix), 1 T ground psyllium husks (this is pure fiber and helps thicken the smoothie among other things ;-) ), 2 c. raw spinach, 1 med. banana, and 2 T PB2 (gives it a peanut butter taste without all the fat and calories) Add 8-9 ice cubes for super thick, shake like consistency.

Fruit Smoothie: change spinach for 1.5 c. frozen strawberries and leave out the PB2. With frozen fruit you don't need the ice cubes..............SUPER thick..........LOVE it!

If you don't like them thick, leave out the ice or use fresh fruit.