how big is too big

Options
hi im a very large woman of over 380 i was wondering how big is too big to start c25k im already guessing ill be slow but i need change but im not sure if it will hurt me more then help me thanks in advance:happy:

Replies

• TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started at 375. You're never too big IMO, just take it slow and steady at a pace you feel comfortable at, and then gradually build it up.

Good luck :-)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you and your current fitness level. Do you currently walk? If not, I'd start walking. 380 lbs can be hard on joints so walking/fast walking may be preferable to running until you get to a lower weight.
  • peridot1383
    peridot1383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine if you listen to your body. I would get close with your doctor too. Make sure you have a clear sense of your vitals before doing any exercise.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was going to say probably 13 inches, but I see this was a different topic.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I say if anyone of any size can do anything to move without hurting themselves do it... even if it's only squats over the couch it's something. Any movement is better than nothing...good luck
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I also think it depends on your fitness level.... I would start getting out for walks, then move into C25K.
    when I started I was 245lbs, it was super hard on me. I could barely run a minute, I had pain in my lungs and my chest (no chest pains though, saw a doctor). But I stuck to it, and now I am close to 9k!

You can do it, good luck!
    Just remember to listen to your body.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I can't find it now (of course! cause I'm looking for it lol) but I posted a link here last week of an article I found on coolrunning.com (the website for C25K) and it was about how people thought they were too heavy to do it. I'm on week 7-almost done!- and I love it. I say give it a go! Listen to your body, you'll know what you can and can't handle :smile:
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would err on the side of caution here because everyone's body is different. You also have to take into considerations strength levels, bone density, etc. I would personally start off walking, which was suggested earlier, and just work on getting faster with that. I think you'll drop weight very quickly, but I wouldn't advice c25k in it's full form until you've gotten used to really moving around a good bit and pushing your body. So I would commit to walking for a few months, learning your body from that, and then committing to the c25k. I wish you the best of luck in your goal, and remember that you CAN do this!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was 276lbs when I started C25K. I'm on Week 7 of my second tour through C25K, 50 lbs lighter than when I started. I've mangaed to improve and stay injury-free, but because I took it easy. The first time around, my jog was the same pace as my husband (a leggy 6'2 guy) walked. Don't push too hard, listen to your body, and you'll do just fine. I've read success stories for people who started at the same weight as you. :)

Good luck!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options

nah i would say 13 sounds excellent :drinker:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Hmmm way before the 13 inch mark and I'm going to be screaming "Holy Mother of God get that thing away from me!!"

But on the actual topic at hand. If you can handle it, go for it. The running pace may actually be a quicker paced walk or speed walk for now but that doesn't matter. I'm doing it now and compared to others who actually run, my running pace is more of a moderate jog but I don't care, its faster for me. I figure I'll get through the program and start it again, increasing the speed.
    Once you actually are running or jogging, it is tough on the knees so be careful and good luck!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thought of a few more words of advice... Don't hesitate to repeat weeks too! Do week 1 five times if that's what feels right for you. Make sure your body is ready to progress.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Like they say - everyone is different. I am in the 250's and tried jogging last week - after 3 days my knee was killing me (messed it up years ago in a car accdent) so I guess I will stick to fast walking which seems to be OK.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would say that it depends on your current fitness level and whether or not you have other health problems such as heart or knee issues. I was over 250 when I started it and had no problem completing the program. That said, don't feel bad if you have repeat days or weeks. Go at your own pace until you are comfortable moving on. Go slow. Speed is not as important as endurance when starting out. And get properly fitted for shoes. Good luck if you decide to give it a go.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There are several issues to consider. I would consult your doctor first, because if you have any undiagnosed medical issues, then you'll want to have those addressed. For example, running with out-of-controlled high blood pressure could increase the size of your heart or cause you to have a stroke; and as somebody already stated, the excess weight may wreak havoc on your joints.
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options

lol yeah didnt think of that when i posted funny
    :laugh:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! You all have inspired me to get moving.
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thought of a few more words of advice... Don't hesitate to repeat weeks too! Do week 1 five times if that's what feels right for you. Make sure your body is ready to progress.

im figuring it will take me a long time an repeating weeks for a while but im sure i can do it even if it takes me a year to complete
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options

lol yeah didnt think of that when i posted funny
    :laugh:

That's what kind of topic i thought this was before i clicked. Then again I do have a very dirty mind. :bigsmile:

But.. about your question. Just take it slow and listen to your body. You'll be surprised in just a few weeks how much more you can do and how good you feel! Good luck! :drinker:
  • Eddie274
    Eddie274 Posts: 156
    Options
    Yeah you're starting off big, but everyone starts off somewhere.

I'm a huge biggest loser fan and if you go sensibly they prove that even at 500+ lbs you can do it. As the other guys say, don't be concerned about time. If you finish it just think of how much that will push you on to not quit when the going gets tough. Push on through and beat your demons. Let me know how you get on and add me as a friend if you like.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.