Wedding dress too small - 4 months to fit, can it be done?!

Options
2»

Replies

• reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that a good corset or product like Spanx should be able to help you pull in your waist another inch or so. With some dedicated eating and strength training habits for the next four months the other inch should be doable. Cutting out wine on the weekends is probably your easiest way to lose an extra pound or two during that time. I honestly think you can do this.

Yes, looking at my weekly diary, the weekends are what's kind of killing me, and a big part of it is wine. It's funny, cos I don't like any sugary drinks - I mainly stick to vodka soda or wine. No beer, no fruity drinks, and that's without trying. But four glasses of wine is nearly 500 extra calories on a Saturday,,, I might be sad for a few months :) But would be worth it, right?!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    2 inches?? Let out dress. Get some spanks. Should not be a problem. You look small in your profile pic. Might be hard to lose 2 inches.

Okay just saw pic. Tie back together and get a bow to cover opening or something. Dress could be let out some. Your waist is 27" and you want smaller? ( yeah I don''t think I should have read it either...lol)
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'd do it! Even if you don't get down to where you want to be, you can remove the buttons and add "loops" to that side (to match the opposite side) and lace it up like a corset with a satin tie, in an open "v" shape, I hope you know what I mean. WIth what you save, you can have someone do that little bit of sewing for you. No one will know it didn't come that way!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I had my dress let out just days before our wedding. Be smart - get the dress you want and have it fitted to you - don't stress yourself out trying to squeeze into it.

Congrats on finding THE dress! :flowerforyou:
  • tkp4me
    tkp4me Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it can be done! Word of caution though, don't lose too much weight. For my wedding last fall I ended up toning up to much that last few weeks and had a hard time keeping the dress on. Try P90X for a great toned & healthy figure. It's a little easier on the joints than Insanity or P90X2 and mixes things up enough to keep things interesting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Can you have the buttons replaced with a corset back? That would solve all the issues.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Do you eat wheat/gluten products? Just throwing this out there, I have not tried it, but A LOT of people say that they lose inches in the waist/belly area when they go gluten free. Can't hurt to try it for a few months to see if that helps...
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Dress sounds amazing. Do you know a competent tailor or seamstress? Depending on how the dress is constructed, you might be able to get a little bit more room.
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    Yeah I definitely don't want to lose too much more weight! When I was 165 lbs, I had a 32" waist. So I'd estimate about with each 10 lbs I lose, I lost about 1.2 inches from my waist. Not completely accurate but an estimate. Clearly I can't lose 20 lbs nor would I want to but I hear it's possible to lose inches without dropping as much weight!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I should have also mentioned. From January through June I only lost about 2 pounds, but went from a size 10 to a size 6 by doing the first 2 months of Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer from bodybuilding.com and then I switched to Stronglifts 5x5. Lifting will help you lose inches!
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    Do you eat wheat/gluten products? Just throwing this out there, I have not tried it, but A LOT of people say that they lose inches in the waist/belly area when they go gluten free. Can't hurt to try it for a few months to see if that helps...

Thanks for this! I've heard similar things about dairy too. I do eat wheat/gluten products.. most of my diet consists of fish/seafood, vegetables, yogurt and cheese, as well as grains like bread (whole wheat) and polenta, rice. Rarely pasta. I could try less wheat/gluten and just replace with gluten free items? I don't eat meat so I think I need to eat some sort of carbohydrate during the day or I may faint :)
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Hmmm...if you can't lose 2 inches, there are totally alteration opportunities with the back closure on that dress. It seems to me that with the loop-and-button closure in the back, you could easily get creative and make it a lace-up corset-like closure in the back and nobody would be able to tell that it didn't come that way. Looks pretty!

I'm getting married in a year and I want to lose 80 pounds. :frown: I figure if I start now, it could maybe, MAYBE, happen. I'm shooting for a size 8 dress and right now I'm a size 16. Here goes!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This may be slightly pricey (but generally not nearly as expensive as you'd think, and I'm assuming you saved quite a bit of money on the actual dress since you're having this problem), but see if you can get an alteration to include boning/corsetting in the dress, or at the most, see if you can get a corset back. You may not want that since it'll change the entire back of the dress... but a corset back is MUCH more forgiving.
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    Hmmm...if you can't lose 2 inches, there are totally alteration opportunities with the back closure on that dress. It seems to me that with the loop-and-button closure in the back, you could easily get creative and make it a lace-up corset-like closure in the back and nobody would be able to tell that it didn't come that way. Looks pretty!

I'm getting married in a year and I want to lose 80 pounds. :frown: I figure if I start now, it could maybe, MAYBE, happen. I'm shooting for a size 8 dress and right now I'm a size 16. Here goes!

I totally know how you feel! Honestly, I never EVER thought in a million years I'd be able to buy a dress off the rack. With hard work and will power, you absolutely can do it! I went from a size 14 to a 4/6. It can be done! If I had been more consistent, I could have done it quicker, but I didn't have a wedding to look forward to until a few months ago :)

I'm not sure you're looking for dresses yet but don't let the sizes freak you out! Dresses run small and the sizing is all off. In wedding dresses, I'm a size 10. The dress I love is a size 8. It's messed up but know that going into it, just completely ignore the sizes on the dress, they mean nothing! As long as it fits and you're comfortable you will look amazing. Also, side note: wedding dresses can do AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING things for your figure. Although I think it's a crime to spend so much money, you kind of understand why once you put on a good dress. Trust me, I would not buy a dress that was too small if it wasn't THAT amazing! :)

As far the corset- I don't really care for the look of the corset (you'd see why if I showed you the front of the dress but I'm terrified of my fiance seeing it, ha!) but if you can't really see it that might be an option!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Do everything. Be militant. Congrats :)
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Can you have the buttons replaced with a corset back? That would solve all the issues.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I know some girls really love the buttons... but remember that your (i'm assuming) half/fully drunk new husband is going to be the one to help you out of the dress at the end of the night ;)
  • mol3718
    mol3718 Posts: 16
    Options
    I did it! I got a dress too small and got into it for my wedding. I have ot be honest you are thinner then me so it may be a challenge. But you can do it!!!!!! You have already worked hard so keep it up.
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    It is actually a zipper back! The buttons are for show. Does that make a difference??