Options

Replies

• ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    we recently gave these a shot.

blehck! Did not care for them at all.

YMMV

Agreed - they are NOTHING like potato chips.

They were awful!!
  • GoodPath
    Options
    I saw these for the first time about a month ago. A friend made them. Didn't give them a try since they weren't ready yet but, I've heard good things. Plus, I'm a big kale fan so, take that into consideration.
    Give them a try!
  • orangecatz
    Options
    I've made them before. They are nothing like potato chips or veggie crisps. Very light and crispy. I liked them, but I love kale made in all kinds of ways (raw, steamed, in soups, in salads, it's so good for you!)
  • bko_11
    bko_11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips.......The key is to not overseason them. I just toss them in olive oil then bake at 425 till crisp but not black. After they are done I sprinkle sea salt on them. My kids even love them.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I think these have a similar taste as the roasted broccoli. I am not a fan of Kale in any other form than these chips. I like to put a little red pepper on mine to kick it up a bit!
  • Mmmmmegan
    Mmmmmegan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • helper3
    helper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried this, and its pretty good!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Try eggplant "chips" they are FANTASTIC! Haven't tried the kale, but doesn't look like the reviews are too good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    tip: do not leave them too long because when they turn brown they turn bitter.

I cook mine with salt and nutrional yeast.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yuck Yuck Yuck is all I can say. Bitter, nasty greens - I felt like a goat. I can do my spinach smoothies, I eat kale in salads etc, but as chips they were disgusting. I put time into massaging them, oil, garlic, seasoning, I did it all . .
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    I haven't had the chance to try making them myself, but I have had premade ones that were sprinkled with low cal ranch, and those were DELISH! Now that my hubby and I have a dehydrator, I'm hoping to give it a try soon! :D
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    My mom made some a while back and they texture was a little different but overall they werent too bad. I would like to make some myself if that helps and have found several recipies for them and they are suppose to be one of the top super foods!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I found a recipe for these kale chips and am just a wee bit nervous about giving them a try... anyone have any reviews they would like to share? I will add the recipe in case anyone would like to give em a whirl!

2 cups fresh kale leaves
    olive oil non stick spray
    salt to taste
    Preheat oven to 425
    Spray pan and spritz leaves with non stick spray
    Sprinkle leaves with salt
    bake for 5-8 minutes
    Suposedly a good alternative for potato chips...

I use to make these all the time!!! Love Love Love them... My 8 yr old son will even eat them.
  • Mondia1
    Mondia1 Posts: 8
    Options
    KALE RULES. I eat kale almost every day. Kale chips are delicious. I use green kale and sea salt. You could use Bragg liquid amino. Yum!
  • zoelancastermann
    Options
    Ive just bought a bag of the shredded kale, and tossed it in oil, spread it onto a baking tray, sprinkled salt on and threw it in the oven for 4 minutes high. Its like the seaweed you get at a chinese resturant..... gorgeous. My 8 year old thinks its beautiful.... another batch going in!!
    Definately worth a try - and a massive bag was only 94p from Asda..
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i've heard so much about kale chips since joining MFP but have never made them myself - until RIGHT NOW! and OMG they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! i love salty snacks like pretzels and potato chips but obviously they aren't good for you - now i have my new favourite salty crunchy snack!

YUM YUM YUM. so quick and easy to make - and addictive! i just inhaled a large bowl in like a minute. no joke! and will be making more later this weekend for hubby to try (who is at work right now)

i'm a convert!
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My daughter in law makes them all the time and the grandkids even like them. I haven't tried yet, but I'm game. I usually only use Kale in Portugese Soup!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    too much trouble in my opinion
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I make them at least once or twice a week! I love them. I buy a bunch of kale and rip up enough pieces (leaves only, don't use the tough stems) to cover my baking sheet. I toss the leaves in real EVOO (they aren't as good with the spray), then put lawry's low sodium seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bake for 10 minutes at 375. Amazing. Boyfriend surprisingly likes them too.