"in-between" clothes?

Options
Greetings,

Since starting MFP seven weeks ago, I have lost 20.lbs (YAY me!). Now, I am noticing my clothes are looser (YAY me again!). However, I still have more to lose. How do I deal with the clothes that are now too big? I don't want to invest in "me-at-220-clothes" just to have to replace them when I reach my goal?

Also, over the years I have accumulated a lot of "me-at-240-clothes." I know I shouldn't keep them (to tempting!), but some are pretty nice. I'm sure I'll donate them to charity...

Richard

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 80 pounds, and this is a constant struggle for me too. I have been fortunate because a couple of people have given me some clothes that have either gotten too big or too small for them. I have also done a little bit of shopping at resale shops, which are much cheaper. My wardrobe is a lot smaller right now than normal. but when I get to where I want to be I will restock!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 pounds and am working on another 25-30, so none of my old clothes fit me anymore. Resale and thrift stores are the way to go. You can get clothing really cheap and when it gets to big on you, you can donate it back to the thrift stores. :)

Congrats on your 20 pound loss, btw!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I had a all "me-at-260" clothes and the only "me-at-218" clothes I have bought are for work, minus a couple of pairs of shorts. I had no choice though as they were litterally falling off. I do plan on revamping most or all of them when I get to "me-at-205ish" clothes.. Haha!!

And congrats on your loss!!!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Im currently in between pants sizes (18 is too big/most 16s wont zip) and it sucks. But as for buying new clothes, I watch for sales and check out stores like Ross and Goodwill. Some items like shirts are easier while losing weight but pants are a whole other subject (a shirt wont fall off your hips and leave you mooning the neighbors). Also garage sales if you have them in your area. I know I've got a large box of stuff ready to go for my next garage sale.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I took several pieces to the tailor yesterday to have them taken in. They were from last fall's closet, and I'm not quite ready to commit to a new wardrobe just yet, either.

I try to buy clothes that hold their resale value whenever possible. Especially jeans and outerwear. That way, if I shrink too much, I can resell the clothes either to a consignment shop or on eBay. For really trendy items, I just buy the cheap knock offs because the designer brands are going to look as dated and silly as the cheapos anyway. I don't expect to see anyone wearing brightly colored skinny jeans next spring, so I bought my pair at Ross Dress for Less for $12.
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've just been buying new belts..................
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes at charity shops - I think they're called thrift stores or goodwill in the US? I keep an eye out for the next size or two down while I'm browsing there. At home I have an "aspiration pile" - nice clothes that almost fit, and have taken clothes I've shrunk out of back to the charity shops when they're too big. You can get some great stuff - well known labels & high street brands & often new with tags, or almost new.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple 'transition' outfits. So I had like 2 pants and 4 shirts, I found mainly sales.
    You will feel so much better about yourself in clothes that fit.

My problem was (or maybe not a problem haha) that I was just getting back on the dating scene so appearance was important.

Lots of people on here recommend thrift stores or consignment stores.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thrift store, friends, family....they were always my go to's for "new" clothes during transition. That and a good belt! Clothes that fit always made me feel better, so if i had to i would go shopping for a few things every couple of sizes. I went on a big one when i got to my halfway point, and then just picked up a couple things here and there since then. I'm still holding out on the shopping spree until i hit goal.

oh, and get rid of those old clothes, best thing i ever did!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of pairs of cheap supermarket black jeans £12 each and am making do until the end of the year. Lots of new holes in belts and going for the baggy look in shirts.

Those bits that are obviously way too big leave the house. I am not going back so they can go out the door.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

Since starting MFP seven weeks ago, I have lost 20.lbs (YAY me!). Now, I am noticing my clothes are looser (YAY me again!). However, I still have more to lose. How do I deal with the clothes that are now too big? I don't want to invest in "me-at-220-clothes" just to have to replace them when I reach my goal?

Also, over the years I have accumulated a lot of "me-at-240-clothes." I know I shouldn't keep them (to tempting!), but some are pretty nice. I'm sure I'll donate them to charity...

Richard

I try to make the ones I wear last as long as I can.. using a belt, etc. When that fails, then I start to get rid of the old ones (yardsale) and then go to yardsales to buy some cheap temp clothes. I won't buy anything nice until I get to my goal weight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Ive sold easily 50 clothes items on ebay and bought new with it. It helps a lot! If it's nice stuff it should sell! :-)
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    I am right there with you! Once I dropped two pant sizes, and couldn't get away with wearing the bigger ones any longer, I went out and bought new clothes for work and some other stuff just because I could actually pull them off now that I was thinner. Problem now is my smaller clothes are now too big (Yay Me! :wink: ). I don't really want to buy all new clothes again...who can afford that? I have been hearing I should hit thrift stores but I am hesitant...not sure why. I may just buy some new work pants for now, the shirts will hold out a bit longer. Kind of nice that these are the issues we face right now huh? :laugh:

Congrats on the loss...great job!! :drinker:
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    if its something you like, get it tailored to fit the new you, otherwise, sale racks and thrift stores oh and check out your local freecycle or craigslist for people giving away bags of clothes. you never know what you might find! and then you can pass them on further (either the same way they came or just to goodwill/salvation army etc).

I'm not yet back into my old work wardrobe that I spent plenty on, but I know when I shrink out of that, I'll be having things taken in as I love the pieces and even then, it'll still be cheaper than buying all new stuff. not that I won't add to my work wardrobe, but pants are no fun to shop for.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been able to find staple items like pants and jeans on eBay. As soon as I fit into the smallest size I own, I immediately scour for the next size down. I always manage to find a "lot" of 3-5 pairs in the next size and then bid for them. If the bidding gets too high, then I look for another "lot". I generally spend about $5-7 per pair of pants/jeans so a "lot" of 4 pairs woudl caost me about $20-$30 including the shipping. Unfortunately the Goodwill and other thrift stores don'thave high enough quality for me to wear to work so eBay has saved me during all of my transitions.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got a third of the way to my goal and bought one new outfit to celebrate. I am in between a 16 and 14 now, so juniors 15 is what I ended up buying because they fit perfectly. I will have to buy new workout clothes soon, because all my beloved yoga pants are literally falling off my waist when I jump now.

If you have a bunch of friends, you can always try a clothing swap party where everyone takes their old clothes and you take what you want and donate the leftovers to charity. Of course, you have to have friends close to the sizes you need for that to work.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Get some cheap clothes from Wal-mart! :smile:
  • rainbobrite929
    Options
    My gym actually does a once-a-month clothes swap. It's a bring an item, take an item type of thing.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you need nice clothes for something - business or whatever, then buy just a few items for your current size. You may have to run the washer more often, but you can get by, and avoid going through four whole wardrobes. For general clothing, used is awesome. I'm all about the thrift stores - especially for things I have no plan on wearing for very long.
    It's pretty easy here to go to a large thrift store and come out with 2 pairs of pants, 1 pair of shorts, 3 t-shirts, and 2 tank tops for $30-40. If you're willing to go to the smaller stores and spend some more time looking for the decent clothes, you can probably halve that.
    Even lightly-worn business stuff can run $5-8/item.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Donate them, and buy like two cheap outfits. When I first started I only bought clothes on sale. They may have been designer, but I never paid even half price. Transition clothes go by pretty fast. Keep it cheap and simple. If you have someone that sews, maybe you could have them altered.