Is it true that you shouldnt eat after 6pm?

Options

Replies

• dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's not the best time to eat, but if you stay within your calorie goal, it really doesn't matter. It is a time though that we can do a lot of senseless eating, so keep track of what goes in your mouth.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My mom has that silly 6pm rule and one day I asked her "why, were the calories going to magically double after 6" she couldn't really explain it, just said her doctor told her that once upon a time so it must be true. I don't even get home after working and picking up the kids to cook until after 6.
  • Valdeezie
    Valdeezie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think at the end of the day it's all about letting your food settle before going to bed. They say eat at least 2 hours before laying down for bed.

My personal experience if I eat shortly before bed time that I have acid reflux or a heavy tummy for the most part. Basically, not feeling 100!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat ~1500 calories between 8:30 - 9:30 pm then go to bed full and happy.
  • magerum
    Options
    This question was on Dr Oz...apparently not..he said it's a myth...

lulz.... Dr. Oz IS a myth himself. He has some snakeoil for you to buy
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat at any hour really. I have my dinner between 8.30 and 10pm, and have my before bed snack at around 1am as I am night owl and find dinner doesn't keep me going until bedtime(usually between 2 and 3am, sometimes later). I don't eat breakfast so what I eat before bed, is actually my breakfast, lol, and it works for me as unfortunately, if I go to bed hungry, I don't sleep, simple as.
    Only time I might end up being able to go without my before bed snack is if I had a decent meal out that really filled me up, but my usual fish and vegetable dinner doesn't tend to leave me full for more than a few hours.
  • salinas87
    Options
    I guess if you eat later like right before you go to bed you don't move as much and burn those calories, I try to eat early when i can but sometimes it is so hard to eat early with getting off from work at 5 and then hitting the gym right after and come home at 8ish...
  • magerum
    Options
    I guess if you eat later like right before you go to bed you don't move as much and burn those calories, I try to eat early when i can but sometimes it is so hard to eat early with getting off from work at 5 and then hitting the gym right after and come home at 8ish...

You burn calories by being alive. Not burning calories is called being dead.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    hahha. sorry some of your posts are funny...I dont want to go back and quote them all but anyway.

I wake up around 7am eat something light around 8ish, then go to work at 9 or 10 Im usually early for paperwork..then around

11:30 I eat lunch, then I get off at 5:30pm, and usually run around cleaning the house and stuff til about 8..then Im tired about

9:30..so sometimes I just eat somewhere between 6-7..sometimes right before bed at 9-10pm...then I wake up around 2am and

starving so I eat a quick 100 cal snack and back to sleep til 7am. I just wondered because I always wake up in the middle of the

night hungry on the nights I eat around 6ish..and walking like a zombie in the middle of the night its harder to be as discerning

sometimes..I usually record the snack along with my breakfast for that morning. I am sort of worried about burning those off in

the night ( but from your comments I dont think its a valid concern for me). And also stop the 2am snack...just because It

disturbs my sleep.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ps: sorry about the odd formatting of the above post
  • ruthtoulson
    Options
    I have had weight loss success if I stop eating 3 hours before bed.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner every night around 8:30pm. And I'm usually tucked into bed by 9:30pm with my skinny cow ice cream bar. It has never effected my goals!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    And I'm usually tucked into bed by 9:30pm with my skinny cow ice cream bar.

Is this with or without the Lifetime channel?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have had weight loss success if I stop eating 3 hours before bed.
    Me too. I've also had weight loss success eating my last meal/snack in bed about 10 minutes before I fall asleep.

Meal timing is absolutely irrelevant (absent digestive issues, as others have stated). Your metabolism doesn't shut down at night - you continue to breathe, circulate your blood, digest foods, absorb nutrients, create waste products, etc. just like when you're awake and functioning during the day. Just because the conscious mind goes to sleep doesn't mean the rest of the body does.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    7:25 pm and I'm just finishing dinner. Going to have a glass of chocolate milk before bed, too. I'll probably start to turn in around 9, since the alarm goes off at 5.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    if i am hungry ill eat at 9 or 10 pm odviously a snack not olive garden xD and i lost 30lbs in 7mths
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No... not because it'll ruin your day. You might just have a stomach ache or something, weird dreams. But no.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I have heard 7pm, I have heard 8 pm.
    Its all opinions.

It's all bull****
  • kb119
    kb119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I struggle with wanting to eat my largest meal at night and I can tell a difference. If I distribute most of my calories into the early part of the day I lose weight, but if I eat larger meals at night (all staying in the same calorie range), my weight loss is very sluggish.