What birth control are you using?

Options

Replies

• katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want an implant, but I have Implanon and I loveee it! It works GREAT, and haven't had any side effects.

I understand the concern with the implants, but I would suggest doing some research. I love mine and I have my tubes tied I only got it because my periods were super heavy and I went for 7 days with cramps so intesnse that I was on vicodin and perocet. I got my IUD and I no longer have a period at all and no cramps and no bloating.
  • katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

I do NOT recommend the implant. I have done it...I did not have menstual for 11 years..now I have to take pills to stable my pituitary tumor from growing.

They advertise a new birth control that has no hormones, but I forget the name..

The Merina I think is what the new one is called and they don't use copper any more as there were a lot of problems with it. The new one also does not have any hormones which is why I went to it. I got Cancer from the pill. I told my doc when I was 21 that she either find me something that did not cause cancer or get me into the OR and fix my stuff.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    wait...what...birth control????
    I have 8 kids, don't ask me about birth control!!! LOL
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've been using Yaz since it hit the market.. I have no complaints (except occasional migraines just before starting the next month's pack).. Keeps my skin clear, no PMS, minimal cramps and shorter, lighter periods.

I was on OTC before Yaz and didn't care for it.. Made for a long week each month. :P
  • moonowl23
    moonowl23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use adia (german birth control)... on the German economy you have to pay for birth control yourself, so I pay like 80€ for a six month supply...
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I concur, nuvaring made sex painful and it was horrible for me. In fact it was the worse bc I've ever taken. I hate the decrease in libido...but I guess that's real bc for you.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Separate bedrooms and self control

back to back operational tours work wonders!
  • oceanbigwater
    Options
    a lady gaga cd...works every time
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the only birth control that ever agreed with me was implanon. Once it's in, you leave it there and it does everything for you... It's not painful to have fitted and the bruise goes down after about a week. Then you're safe for years!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    the ole snip snip.....guaranteed \m/

Lol its not my hubby's first one failed and he had to have it redone. Luckily we never took any risks until he got the all clear.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I've had the old snip snip as well, and guys it does wonders, no loss of fluid or change, and the wife, well lets say knowing she won't get prego...is a very happy horny camper. it's a win win :drinker:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Also, I think there's a lot of confusion over the terms "implant" and "inter-uterine device" in this thread.
    As far as I know, the "implant" is a tiny tube with hormones in it that is placed under the skin in the arm and releases hormones slowly. I had one of these for about five years.

The inter-uterine device or IUD is a t-shaped piece of plastic with either a copper coil or hormones which is inserted through the cervix into the womb.

I had a hormonal IUD fitted and the bleeding was so bad that I actually PASSED THE IUD back out! I would like to try a non-hormonal copper coil but I'm scared it would be rejected the same way.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm using Ortho cyclen..

Yet I am on it for PCOS.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I used Yaz for the last year and a half (almost 2 years) and had no side effects. I don't feel like it made me gain weight... I was steadily losing even after starting it. I recently began having some problems (I haven't been regular since the beginning of the year, but other than having periods lasting ungodly amounts of time... that's it) so I was recently switched to Ortho Novum (or nuvem... or... something like that but i'm too lazy to go grab the container. LOL).
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use NuvaRing because I forget too many pills and dont want an accident :noway: I dont have any issues with it except the doctor said neither of us should feel it. He can and so can I if we leave it in. After 5 minutes, it is extremely uncomfortable for both of us. The doctor said like 1/10 have the issue. I just take it out now, slightly annoying.
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy...best thing I ever did...no side effects! :happy:

I agree......big time :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Menopause :bigsmile:
  • inubu
    inubu Posts: 6
    Options
    get married.
  • listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    Options
    I used Yaz for about a year and half. Loved it. Made me lose weight for a while and my only problems were that when I took the placebos, I almost always got a migraine.

However, it can really mess with people so my insurance stop putting me on it.

My doctor then gave me Orth-Tri Cyclen Lo and it was awful. Gained 12 pounds, felt sad all the time, and my periods and PMDD got even worse.

Switch doctors, was on Orth-Novum 1/35 for two months but now I'm on the generic (Notrel 1-35). Haven't seen a difference in the weight category but my mood has improved. Also, my periods have been pretty much non-existent with little PMS.
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    paraguard- non hormonal.