not meeting calorie goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs. since 8/6/12 eating almost exactly 1200 calories each day with the exception of maybe one day per week when I may slightly go over (100-200 calories or so). I cannot excercise or even walk any distance because of spine-issues. I think everyone's body is just different. I'm just very happy with my progress so far. Oh, and I log EVERY thing that I eat.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I only went back to Sunday but oh my god! One day you only had 380-something calories?! :sick: Really or did you not log...cause it looks like your goal is either 1220 or 1380(sorry, too many numbers to remember lol) You need to be eating more, you won't lose if you don't. There's a group here called something like Eat More to Weigh Less-check them out.

Add more veggies, try having yogurt, add nuts or trail mix if you need to get more calories but aren't overly hungery.
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It seems weird - you would think that the less you eat, the more you would lose, but not true. When you eat too few calories, your metabolism slows down, so you don't burn as many calories. I was diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic' and weighed almost 200 lbs, I went to see a dietician and the first thing she said to me was " You need to eat to lose weight" Huh? And at first, I thought I was eating way too much. I lost 65 lbs. Now, I am ashamed to say that I have put 25 of it back on and I am working on losing that.
    So, EAT - just eat wisely.
  • aimeelynnn
    aimeelynnn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks Christy and I will check out that group thank you so much!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think you got your answer, but example from what happened with me (multiple times) when I had a lot to lose-

1100-1300, I would lose consistantly
    less than 1100, I would not lose at all
    less than 1000, I would typically start gaining weight
    Get back to 1300-would start losing again
  • aimeelynnn
    aimeelynnn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks koryg it makes sense!
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think you got your answer, but example from what happened with me (multiple times) when I had a lot to lose-

Kory, congrats on your drastic weight loss! :drinker:
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hope you get it figured out! I know how frustrating it can be not seeing any progress. Good luck:)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes I netted 783

Technically, net would be Total Calories - Calories burned during exercise = NET calories.

So, for your day yesterday: 783 - 83 = 700 calories.

I really think you should click the link I posted above or go here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ to figure out your BMR (base metabolic rate). Again, your BMR is what your body needs to simply function (think basic body functions like breathing, etc.)

For example, I am a 30 year old female, who is 66 inches tall (5' 6"), who weighs 185, with a goal weight around 140. My BMR (again, BEFORE exercise) is more than 1600. You should try to NET above your BMR.

You are not doing yourself any favors or shortcuts to a lower weight by not eating enough. If anything you are setting yourself up for failure.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm having this SAME problem! I feel like i'm force feeding myself.

Try adding some healthy calorie dense foods to your diet. These are really small portions ... so the calories will add up fast.

Nuts, nut butters, avacado, olive oil .... all are calorie dense & add the good kind of fat.
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I am supposed to eat 1270. Sometimes I don't get there. I too was confused about the NET calories at first. Now I understand it. I think most people are still in the thinking of you have to put out more than you bring in.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Are you not eating or not logging in? Your diary is showing deficits of anywhere from 167 cals to 1261 cals!! I think you are sabotaging yourself. Don't skip meals and eat as close to your daily calories goals as possible.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Kory, congrats on your drastic weight loss! :drinker:

Thanks! It was fairly easy going until the last 20 pounds, then it was a lot of trial and error. Thankfully the 'error' part didn't make me gain weight, but just took a while to get me over some plateaus.

As someone else posted...I used the MFP net goal for the main part, then, when I hit my longest plateau, I used my TDEE calculation (not including my exercise) minus 500 for my daily net calorie goal.