Sweet Potato

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    MMMMM sooooo good! Bake, bake, bake or roast! You can even do them like hashbrowns in the skillet. I like them spicy - I usually season them up with some paprika, garlic, onion powder, S&P, cayenne or chilli powder (s). And thyme, or what ever herb smells good that day. Rosemary is good too. Enjoy! I usually do it at a higher heat, and I would suggest putting parchment down. They are softer when baked, so they tear if they stick.
  • tlsayers00
    tlsayers00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like them best baked with just a little butter on them...but I love them so many otherways also. As a diabetic, they don't shoot my sugars through the roof like a regular potato does....so that is one healthy benefit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    do with them anything you would do with a white potato...they just taste better and are better for you...
    Why are they better for you ? never eaten one before.

They are to Vitamin A what bananas are to potassium.

Do they have as much iron as a white potato?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    bake them like fries, bake them like a regular potato, mash them, boil them, roast them and eat them! Add salt, sugar, cinnamon, etc.

Ok - not getting at you - but in general - what is peoples obsession with cinnamon on everything??

Cinnamon is a super food and super yummy!

It is my favorite flavor behind chocolate and beer.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SWEET POTATOES!!!! :D
    you can cook them like any normal potatoes but i always found the texture a little weird done some ways... (boiled)...
    very nice jacket potatoes or sweet potato chips yum! just chopped into sticks and sprayed with a touch of oil just so they dont stick then some salt and pepper mmmmmm... a place near me does the nicest sweet potato and goats cheese pie, which i will figure how to make one day.... :S
    x
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I slice them - either thin on the mandoline slicer or in wedges - toss w/a little olive oil and whatever spices you like. Cook at 350 until done. Also good w/chunks of onion and/or other veggies. We have a really big George Foreman grill that it works great on too.

Or just bake them like a regular potato.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I like them baked, but I also like to make oven "fries" with them. I cut up the potatoes into "fry" shape, toss in a little olive oil, black pepper, salt and a tiny bit of cayenne pepper and bake them in the oven. You can google tons of recipes, but they are so tasty!
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's one I haven't seen anyone post yet.
    Peel, slice into smallish cubes, boil until tender, drain water. Blend them in a food processor or mixer with butter, minced garlic, parmesan cheese until smooth. Put them in a glass baking dish and top with parmesan. Bake at 350 until the top is partially golden brown, about 30-45 minutes. Omergerd, they are amaaaazing! The total calories per serving isn't that bad - I eat a bowl for dinner or lunch or both!
    You'll have to do the math yerself based on how much you add of everything.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh and that maple syrup, brown sugar, marshmallows crap is totally disgusting. It's a freaking potato not a dessert.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options

They are to Vitamin A what bananas are to potassium.

Actually, sweet potatoes are to potassium what bananas are presumed to be to potassium. :D They're chock full of potassium. I tend to stir fry mine with ham and spinach. Tasty!
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Here is how I cook mine:

Slice them, toss with olive oil, salt and chili powder. Bake in oven on 425 for about 30 minutes or until done to your liking.

That is how I just cooked mine! Yum! I added salt free Mexican seasoning
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    They are really good as fries, but I usually just wash them, wrap them in foil and bake them at 400 for 40-50 minutes.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe. I make this all the time, we love it!

http://carrotsncake.com/2010/07/so-cheesy.html

Sweet potatoes rock!
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into a kick of making sweet potato salad with them. I boil them, toss in olive oil mayo, and throw in onions, green peppers, and boiled eggs.
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to bake them in the oven at 350 for an hour. I usually serve half a potato with my meat and mash it with my fork with a tsp of butter and cinnamon :) simple and worth a try.
  • Koorogi
    Koorogi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here is how I cook mine:

5EDF083A-936D-4670-AA5F-4ADEFA70A836-13509-00000C9F4B51545E.jpg

Slice them, toss with olive oil, salt and chili powder. Bake in oven on 425 for about 30 minutes or until done to your liking.

These look awesome!!

Yeah they do! Going to have to try this out!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! I typically just bake or microwave them like regular potatoes. Sometimes I cube them and microwave them as little shot block snacks on the trail. They're excellent for long cardio sessions.

Bumping for more ideas.
  • spark409
    spark409 Posts: 96
    Options
    love them too

all i do is microwave for 2min 30
    and theyre lovely!

red kumara in nz is the best - they actually remind me of chestnuts.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    wrap in foil,bake @400 for 1 1/2 hours. they "leak" so put foil also on pan you are using to bake them. mix some sugar,and cinnamon together and put on top.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I have never made sweet potatoes before. I am not sure if I should roast them or boil them...Any suggestions?

I like 'em roasted - fantastic!