ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    I hate this!
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Eh it just weirds me out adding sex appeal to childrens cartoon characters
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Goofy looks like Howard Wolowitz...

OMG! Just shot Pepsi Max out my nose! This broke me up! And nearly choked me to death.

And on a side note...Disney will sue a daycare center for painting Disney characters on their walls, but THIS is ok? Crazy.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Goofy looks like Howard Wolowitz...

OMG! Just shot Pepsi Max out my nose! This broke me up! And nearly choked me to death.

And on a side note...Disney will sue a daycare center for painting Disney characters on their walls, but THIS is ok? Crazy.

It's a trademark/copyright issue. Not a taste issue...get rights to use a trademarked/copyrighted likeness, you can go to town with it!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    I appreciate the execution. As a former art student, I find it creative.

The nerd and psychology student in me is thinking "what is the meaning of sex appeal + children's characters?"

It's OBVIOUSLY not marketing for children...but the concept is just really creepy to me. Goofy looks like he needs a cheap gold chain to go with that outfit.

And a disco stick. :laugh:

ETA: THEIR HANDS ARE HUMAN...WTF. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Disney will sue, because, well, they are Disney *(unless this is a Disney product).

But I kind of dig it.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member

Seriously? Why did they feel the need to re-invent beloved Disney cartoon characters into skinnier (unhealthy looking) versions? To sell a few dresses and ascots? These images disgust me I think they're going to speak to children in a very unhealthy way. I'm going to tell my girls that they don't need to have toothpick legs to be beautiful. They're already beautiful just the way they are.

Does anyone else find this disgusting?

ohhhhh my freaking god. are you serious? They're CARTOONS. It's ART.

I hear what you're saying but I respectfully disagree. My kids love Mickey Mouse club house. They have Minnie and Daisy gear all over the house. I'm not saying they should be banned. It's a far cry from offensive. I just think it's disgusting. And I don't want my kids to try to look like them. My kids pick up everything. To my girls, that "art" is a beloved stuffed animal that sits at the dinner table with us. I also have a sister who struggled with eating disorders when she was younger. You can argue that these images don't appeal to kids but I just have to disagree. IF my kids take these images the wrong way, then I'll do my parenting thing and address it. I'll tell them that they're beautiful the way they are.

But hey, if that's you're definition of beauty, rock on. I agree it's art. But I also think art is supposed to solicit a reaction from the audience. Your reaction and my reaction are, respectfully, different.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Goofy's outfit is definitely weird. The jacket say "matador." The pants and boots say Firefly captain <--- reference to the short lived SciFi TV show. I can't remember the captain's name.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    But hey, if that's you're definition of beauty, rock on.

not sure where you picked that up from my post? ..

Anyways, my point is I am confident that my 4 year old daughter isn't going to look at this image and think this is how humans are supposed to look. She's a bright kid, she knows the difference between ducks and humans, cartoons and real life, etc. She would just say something like "Mommy, why does Daisy look so weird".

Saying "these images disgust me I think they're going to speak to children in a very unhealthy way" is a huge overreaction.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Goofy's outfit is definitely weird. The jacket say "matador." The pants and boots say Firefly captain <--- reference to the short lived SciFi TV show. I can't remember the captain's name.

Mal his name was Mal *sigh*
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    I just don't like the mixed messages sent out to billions of children out there who adore the Disney characters. So they're cute + fun before but NOW they are gorgeous and stylish because they're toothpicks? Ridiculous. I was surprised that Disney partook in this.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm OK I'll say it.

I can't believe anyone EVER thought of Mickey, Minnie or Goofy as physical role models.

Are you f 'n kidding me?

Did you consider Scrooge McDuck an example for investment strategy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • @ ki4yxo
    I scrolled all the way back up just to confirm that I completely agree lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I prefer the original versions. These don't appeal to me. But some of the reactions here are funny!
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Ew. That's not them, that's anorexic them!

Those are not the characters I hug at Disney!
  • Goofy looks like Howard Wolowitz...

WHAT A GREAT SHOW!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Seriously? Why did they feel the need to re-invent beloved Disney cartoon characters into skinnier (unhealthy looking) versions? To sell a few dresses and ascots? These images disgust me I think they're going to speak to children in a very unhealthy way. I'm going to tell my girls that they don't need to have toothpick legs to be beautiful. They're already beautiful just the way they are.

Does anyone else find this disgusting?

ohhhhh my freaking god. are you serious? They're CARTOONS. It's ART.

While I understand your point (and your apparent frustration) I think it's a bit more than just art. I love alternative art. I think taking something and reinventing it is wonderful.
    However, if it's used in a marketing way (as this is) it's supposed to influence you.
    When you use childrens characters and change them in such a way, it's certainly carries a bit of weight with those children when they see it.
    It's very subtle, however, so it just may not seem like a big deal.

And as someone with little girls, I believe OP has a valid point in his distaste for this form of advertisement.

I have 100% confidence that if my daughter saw these pictures it would have zero effect on her body image. I think it's so petty for people to come to that conclusion.

I think if I saw this with my daughter and then explained to her "these are unrealistic bodies and you're beautiful the way you are" she would be so confused as to why I would even have to tell her that.
    Totally agree here.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I have 100% confidence that if my daughter saw these pictures it would have zero effect on her body image. I think it's so petty for people to come to that conclusion.

I think if I saw this with my daughter and then explained to her "these are unrealistic bodies and you're beautiful the way you are" she would be so confused as to why I would even have to tell her that.

Agreed. And for all the people freaking out, this is NOT the NEW, PERMANENT version of these characters. They are still their old selves. It's just one artist's take on high fashion crossed with Disney toons. Chill out.