Hey, Fat Girl.

Options

Replies

• megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That's beautiful! Thank you for posting! So inspiring. :)
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    i hope this is a true story :) even if it is not, i hope that it is what we all feel when we see someone new to the gym or the sidewalks, and i hope this is what people feel/felt about us as we all got started!

I wasn't the "fat girl" at this time, but in HS, i was deifnitely out of shape. I was self conscious, terrible at sports, and very very shy. Gym class was my worst nightmare every day. I remember in 9th grade, we had to run a mile on the track every day for gym before we started whatever lesson we were on. And I remember I hated it because I was so slow and it was so embarrassing; I just wanted to disappear. This girl in my class who was on the track team and ran cross country, I remember her running up next to me one day and saying "come on, run with me. I know you can do it!" And she ran with me that day. She pushed me to go faster than I thought I was able, but she slowed down for me (obviously since she was a distance runner she could have out paced me in second), ran with me and encouraged me to push myself. When I finished, I'd finished the mile the fasted I'd ever run it up to that point and I remember she congradulated me and told me "see! I knew you could do it!" We didn't be come bestest friends in the whole world or anything like that, and I was still shy and insecure and gym class was still terrifying, but she absolutely made my semester, and I'll never forget that she did that for me. It boosted my confidence and got me into running recreationally in HS, and now that I've gotten back into it almost 10 years later, I remember it every day when I go for a run and start to feel self conscious. People who are already athletic and in shape--you have no idea what a difference in someone's life you can make just by smiling at them from across the track, or giving them a thumbs up, telling them good job, or even just running with them. Sometimes for them, it can mean the difference between deciding it's the last day they're going to bother doing this, and pushing on to a healthier life.

THIS made me tear up! High school can be really tough and girls can be really mean - I love that this girl was so encouraging and positive and that you are running again!
  • The_new_mee
    The_new_mee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this beautiful message!!!
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I needed this today:heart:
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    1. Crying at work. Geez.
    2. I am the fat girl, but I also give praise silently to EVERY single overweight, out of shape person I see doing ANY exercise. Be it running, walking - anything. It's a challenge. But the rewards are amazing (I did it before by losing 130 pounds, I can do it again)

I want to add that I give credit to anyone who works out period-- :)
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    To all who say this is condescending or less than inspiring - don't think of it that way! :( It hits home for me because I am always conscious of everyone around me, and want to encourage where I can. This made me tear up because it's what I want to say to everyone who's starting something for the first time. The reason it's address to "hey, fat girl" is only because it's much more of a challenge at first when you start, and because of that, I respect you all the more. Sure, I have a fair amount of respect for committed athletes/bodybuilders, but they don't usually need extra encouragement because they get enough shallow (or otherwise - I'm not insinuating!) praise from those around them. It's encouraging those who took a much more brave and intimidating step that I am speaking of - because you deserve it. I am awful at art. And as such, when I get praise for my assorted, previously-thought-of-as-junk-work from an art major or a natural artist, I'm very encouraged. Don't think of this as condescending. Think of it as admiration for stepping out of societal stereotypes!
  • laila_ifhtab
    Options
    Love it so emotional and inspirational
  • Golfgirl16
    Golfgirl16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing...I am this girl, or I used to be until I joined MFP and Planet Fitness! I feel this way when I run at the gym and after reading this, I hope people think of me as an inspiration and not just someone who makes the treadmill bounce:) I'm going to put this at my desk as a daily reminder to keep on going for all the "fat girls" out there! We can do this!!
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you for sharing!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    That was great! it should be read again and again!
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is such a moving story and makes me want to go and run my heart out!
  • mrdalton
    mrdalton Posts: 97
    Options
    Thats me through and through. Tear
  • MizMliss
    MizMliss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cried my eyes out.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Wow! This gave me chills. So powerful! Thank you for posting because it is so true.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Love this! I still often feel like the "fat girl". But there are many times when I feel more like the fit girl; and whenever I see someone in the same place where I was three years ago - struggling to get around the block, but still out there moving every single day - I want to give them a hug and tell them it's worth the fight!
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    saving this for a rainy day :-)
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    Loveeeee this =)
  • stacnm
    stacnm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Most excellent.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just beautiful and well written. This makes me change my mind about running in my neighborhood. I sometimes take my dog for a jog and will stop and walk when I see a car coming or people walking, then start jogging again when the coast is clear.

LOL - I do the reverse! If I'm tempted to walk I force myuself to keep going until the line of cars or the other person goes by. I don't care if people see me walking instead of running, but I don't want them to see that moment where I weaken and "give up" to walk. (Someone I work with, who runs a lot, commented that he drove past me "looking good!" while I was out running one day, so now I'm paranoid that someone I *know* would see that moment of "weakness"!)
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, made me tear up too