Replies

• Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can read later.. very interesting stuff
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think my point is just its the first article I've seen that has addressed it. And I'm excited to look into it further. And its nice to see that others find it interesting too. The whole quality foods. Its worth exploring especially since they have a Mayo Clinic study. That has a great reputation. Its great to see research being done in that area
    So you've been searching for articles that agree with you for some time and you've only been able to find ONE, but this is somehow validating to you?

Also, I think you mean, "A calorie is not JUST a calorie". That's an entirely different statement than what you said.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Our body processes certain foods differently, why do people constantly want to debate that. You may lose weight eating junk food, but you may not be doing anything to improve your health. Thin does not automatically equal healthy. And for some people certain foods may inhibit weight loss.

If you can eat whatever you want and avoid diabetes, heart disease, insulin resistance, high blood pressure and cholesterol, good for you but not everyone can. Whether you practice clean eating or not, healthy eating habits should be encouraged, especially on a fitness sight.

How does this relate to the OPs initial claim?
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Our body processes certain foods differently, why do people constantly want to debate that. You may lose weight eating junk food, but you may not be doing anything to improve your health. Thin does not automatically equal healthy. And for some people certain foods may inhibit weight loss.

If you can eat whatever you want and avoid diabetes, heart disease, insulin resistance, high blood pressure and cholesterol, good for you but not everyone can. Whether you practice clean eating or not, healthy eating habits should be encouraged, especially on a fitness sight.

Her claim is that the quality of the calories matter, so I find my post to be valid. Anytime this point is made you see a flood of comments from people who say they eat pizza and ice cream and lose weight, as if that is a badge of honor on a health and fitness site. I lost weight that way too on weight watchers staying within my points, but it certainly did nothing to help my PCOS until I adopted healthier habits. My husband, a former athlete who works out 5 times a week and is in great shape and ate whatever he wanted without gaining, now has high blood pressure. I do understand we don't all have the same goals, some people want to lose weight, some people want to get healthy, some people want to lose weight and get healthy. I don't see why the latter is so hard for some to fathom.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Her claim is that the quality of the calories matter, so I find my post to be valid. Anytime this point is made you see a flood of comments from people who say they eat pizza and ice cream and lose weight, as if that is a badge of honor on a health and fitness site. I lost weight that way too on weight watchers staying within my points, but it certainly did nothing to help my PCOS until I adopted healthier habits. My husband, a former athlete who works out 5 times a week and is in great shape and ate whatever he wanted without gaining, now has high blood pressure. I do understand we don't all have the same goals, some people want to lose weight, some people want to get healthy, some people want to lose weight and get healthy. I don't see why the latter is so hard for some to fathom.

The OPs post was that she had found an article that 'proved' that eating clean caused her weight loss - but that article actually did no such thing,

I am not, saying and have not, said that you should not have a balanced diet (what I mean by that is a decent amount of nutrient rich food). But I still fail to see the relevency to the actual article and the claim being made. Also, you seem to think that eating ice cream means that you cannot have a 'healthy diet'. You can, and I do not see what is hard to fathom about that.
  • lhorton84
    lhorton84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I think whatever is sustainable is worth promoting. I don't eat clean all the time as I enjoy treat foods but in order to lose weight and feel satisfied one has to be eating a balanced diet. There's no harm to your body in enjoying the odd treat. I know I'm eating way better than I used to and most importantly, because I allow myself the treats, it's something I can stick to which ultimately has to be better for my overall health. Do what fits with your life, there's no one right way for all.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

The OPs post was that she had found an article that 'proved' that eating clean caused her weight loss - but that article actually did no such thing,

I am not, saying and have not, said that you should not have a balanced diet (what I mean by that is a decent amount of nutrient rich food). But I still fail to see the relevency to the actual article and the claim being made. Also, you seem to think that eating ice cream means that you cannot have a 'healthy diet'. You can, and I do not see what is hard to fathom about that.

Ice cream or anything in moderation can be part of a healthy diet, but when posters make an effort of writing a post to debunk clean eating talking about all the ice cream and pizza they eat and that what you eat doesn't matter as long as you are under your calorie goal, in my opinion that is not promoting a healthy diet. I'm no eat clean purist, but I do recognize the affects sugar has on my body and others. When I have it, I want more and more of it. When I don't have it, I don't really miss it. Protein certainly doesn't have that affect on me. Never had a burger and was fiending for burgers for days and days. So my point was just that I find posters go out of their way to criticize clean eating or calorie is not a calorie comments by saying they eat whatever.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think my point is just its the first article I've seen that has addressed it. And I'm excited to look into it further. And its nice to see that others find it interesting too. The whole quality foods. Its worth exploring especially since they have a Mayo Clinic study. That has a great reputation. Its great to see research being done in that area
    So you've been searching for articles that agree with you for some time and you've only been able to find ONE, but this is somehow validating to you?

Also, I think you mean, "A calorie is not JUST a calorie". That's an entirely different statement than what you said.

Seems that the actual statement is even less exciting than that. It should be something like: "Food is not just calories".

Things you eat contribute to both sides of the calorie equation. Some foods result in a higher DIT/TEF than others, but that doesn't invalidate the calories in vs. calories out model.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From having a quick look through the sources in the article, none actually seem to relate to "eating clean" and just seem to relate to macro nutrients. Was only a quick look through, however.

To each his own and if a person wants to eat "dirty" that is his or her prerogative, but I am living proof that eating clean and what you want works. Period.
    How do you know it specifically came from that?

Not for instance, from total calorie intake or other life style changes?

Everyone is different.

So I'd suggest that even if you're sure that this was the cause, the statement should be that it works for you.

It's often quoted that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, yet I can to some degree.
    Some people no doubt can't.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ice cream or anything in moderation can be part of a healthy diet, but when posters make an effort of writing a post to debunk clean eating talking about all the ice cream and pizza they eat and that what you eat doesn't matter as long as you are under your calorie goal, in my opinion that is not promoting a healthy diet. I'm no eat clean purist, but I do recognize the affects sugar has on my body and others. When I have it, I want more and more of it. When I don't have it, I don't really miss it. Protein certainly doesn't have that affect on me. Never had a burger and was fiending for burgers for days and days. So my point was just that I find posters go out of their way to criticize clean eating or calorie is not a calorie comments by saying they eat whatever.

You must be seeing something I am not. I saw ONE person state that they find ice-cream and pizza delicious, which is is btw. Thats it. I did not actually see any criticism.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a link to mayo clinic study because I can't find it? The details in the article aren't enough to make any real conclusion from.

A couple of the others he is referencing have nothing to do with clean/dirty eating or calorie intake but are comparisons between low carb and low fat diets
  • maxdipat17
    Options
    hi,

this sounds really interesting but what are considered to be 'high-quality foods?'
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Signal boost.

I think this was an interesting read.
  • humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're totally right. Pizza and chocolate calories are more delicious than other calories.

haha this made me giggle
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that there is nearly enough information in this article to draw any conclusions from.

There's no information on how much exercise these people were doing.
    There's no information on what each persons original calorie intake was.
    There's no information on the sample size.

In fact there's very little information at all.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just that this one article seems to fly in the face of nearly every other piece of science.

So why put so much faith in one article, as opposed to thousands of others that say the opposite?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Anyone have a link to mayo clinic study because I can't find it? The details in the article aren't enough to make any real conclusion from.

A couple of the others he is referencing have nothing to do with clean/dirty eating but are comparisons between low carb and low fat diets.

I could not find it and the OP had not read further than the article itself when I asked - I also could not find reference to clean eating either. I would like to see it also as there are no real details as you note. They mention 'low quality food' and 'high quality food' but no definition of what they mean by that. However, on searching the 4 'studies' noted, they all appear to be re carbs. So it seems as the the 'quality' is in relation to low/high carbs as you note. I think there is a misunderstanding as to the definitions here. High quality =/= 'clean'.

The Mayo reference may be referring to the study noted in this article (odd site to use, sorry, but it came up when I did some google-fu and it does not link to the actual study). http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203462304577138993430777580.html. It actually indicates that a calorie IS a calorie however from a macro perspective when looking at fat gain.
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes it is matter on what we are eating. If we count our calories intake then it will be good for us.
  • 709sherry
    709sherry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Jeez b'ys, she was just sharing an article. Relax!

Thanks for sharing. I was always under the impression that a calorie is a calorie so this is a must consider for me.