40+ Club: Beating The Winter Bulge

Options

Replies

• wallena
    wallena Posts: 32
    Options
    HI PAM, I'M WALLY. OVER 40 AND WILL BE 41 THIS MARCH. I DEFINITELY COULD USE A MOTIVATOR. IF YOU'RE UP FOR IT, LET ME KNOW.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

Just a note to let you know that my Mom passed away this morning. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Frank

Frank - my condolences - so sorry to hear of your loss. No matter what age you are losing a parent is difficult. You and your family will be in my prayers.
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I turned 40 in December.
    I have been on this site for 4 days and LOVE the calorie counter.

I have not added exercise back into my daily routine, but figure small steps are better than no steps at all. I am kinda looking forward to the extra calories since I LOVE to eat LOL.

Thanks for having me.
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...first of all I apologize for any typing errors..I am typing one handed, I received 1st and 2nd degree burns to my left hand yesterday so it is hard to do most things.
    Unfortunately that also includes exercising,,, when my body starts heating up thn so does my hand which then burns like crazy again.:sad: My husband (Bless him:smooched: ) brought in a bowl of snow and covered my hand with a bread bag so I could put my hand in the snow without getting it wet to help cool it down and take away the fire. BUT I did exercise some I went outside without a glove on that hand and shoveled snow with one hand..believe me it is more difficult than it sounds, and I am sure it looked really comical.:laugh: But I will really have to watch what I eat until this heals a bit more.
    Frank...thanks for checking in. Losing a parent is tough..even when we know they are really sick. Hang in there.. remember we are all here for you and are keeping you and your family in our prayers.
    Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

Angel
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Frank, I'm so sorry for your loss. Today is my late mother's birthday, so Moms are really on my mind. She did an excellent job with you, you turned out great. She must have been a lovely woman. We know you are strong enough to get through this.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Stiring:

My bread machine is a 2 lb machine. I had a 1 lb one originally, but I wore that one out.

Welcome all the newest newbees! I think you will find our little group only full of the best encouragement and friendliest of atmospheres. I look forward to getting to know some new friends!
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss Frank. Glad to hear your mother did not suffer.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Frank, I am so sorry to hear of your mom. I will keep you in my prayers.
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Well, I have lost 4 pounds since my last weigh in...that works out to about 2 lbs a week. This actually does not sound right to me...but I will take it. I used the wii fit to weigh in and I made sure that I am wearing the same robe for the weigh ins. I just started using MFP on Tuesday.

I cant wait to see what result will come next week. Still focused on a pound a week.

Julia
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Frank: So sorry for your loss. My dad died rather unexpectedly in November of 08 nine weeks after my sister Gretchen (age 52) died very unexpectedly of a stroke. The family is now closer than we have ever been. I have been over to Mississippi many time over the past 15 months and am in contact with my mom daily. My mom and my brother-in-law, Gretchen's husband, came over here to spend New Year,s (which was my daughter's 21st birthday) with us. Got a sweet email from Mike yesterday saying how much he enjoyed bathing in the love in my house (and I only see the mess and dust!). My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Well, I have not done a very good job of taking care of myself. I had to move offices last week and ended up straining my sacro-iliac joint to the point I could barely walk on Thursday and Friday. Felt like someone had a hot knife in my backside. It hurt any time I put weight on right leg. I am always harping on other people about proper body mechanics. I have a rehab background and used to supervise physical therapists, so I should have known better. I have been very lazy this weekend and taking nsaids. It is feeling much better now. I have to figure out what kind of exercise I can do now.

Welcome to all the newbies! This is a great group of people with great stories and inspiration. I am typing on my husband's laptop and the curser keeps jumping around. Sorry for the typos!

Daughter is back in Austin in school. Son goes back to graduate school in San Fransico at Saturday. Need to get son and hubs to put away the rest of Christmas before son leaves.

Take care all. I wll try to be better about checking in. TxMs
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hisangel: So sorry about your hand burn. Make sure your are stretching it as it heals. Mederma lotion is great for scar reduction.

Karinf and Alf: my husband got a flyer in the mail yesterday about a seminar in on Asperger's and Autism Spectrum disorders by someone from the Yale Child Study Center. He went to it last year and said it was very good. It will be in Texas in Houston on March 2 and Plano April 20. More information at www.neel.org

Take care all!
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    well here's to shoveling snow one handed!! Great exercise and it keeps my hand cool! I get the dressing changed tomorrow so will see if I can run again on Tuesday. been following my diet so I hope things go as well this week as last week.

well that's all for now as it is really hard to type one handed. hope everyone had a good weekend.

Angel
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Frank, I am so sad for your loss. I am always overwhelmed by what the human heart can endure. Your loss, and the vulnerability of the others on this website, especially those with loved ones in the military - there are no words for it. I don't know any of you, but I am truly inspired by you.

I thought I'd check in for a few minutes, and that was about an hour ago - take care eveyone
    Karin
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: for Frank - I know today will be hard and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • tamarads
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers to you and your family today Frank.. take comfort in that your Mom is in a place where there is no pain and suffering.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My week on mfp seems to end on Monday since it is my day off from work & I actually started here on Monday and weigh in on Mondays. Seems to be the only time I have to spend some real time on this site. I lost another opund this monring bringing my total lost down to nine pounds since I started here, with 11 more pounds (minimum) to go before my wedding this Summer.

Lately, I am having a hard time staying motivated to work out, even though I have been seeing great results.
    Tamarads & Stiring, we also were miltary families. MY only overseas duty was five years in Germany. I really loved the Eurpoean lifestyle. I have two children currently serving in the military. A daughter in the Navy and a son in the National Guard.

Frank- Sorry about the loss of your mother. Your family will be in my prayers.

hisangel- How exciting that your daughter has decided to get in shape. I am excited because my fiance just signed up on mfp, and we are going to try to get into shape and healthier together before our wedding. Life is precious and we need to get into our best health possible.

Everyone have a WONDERFUL & HEALTHY week! :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Frank, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.:cry::cry: :cry:
    I know how overwhelmed you must be, especially with the funeral today. Losing a family member is never easy, but losing one unexpectedly is especially hard on those who are left behind. I lost my sister very quickly in March 2008; she was hospitalized for bronchitis, ended up with staph pneumonia and we lost her after 10 days in the hopsital. I didn't make it home to MN to see he before we lost her and I will always regret that.

Take care of yourself - my thoughts are with you as you and your family.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends,

Just a quick note to let you know that we are doing fairly well after the funeral. Thanks to all who wished us well and lifted up prayers on our behalf. I will check in again tomorrow.

Frank
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi Frank.....it was so good to see your picture and words in the thread again. You were missed and you were also in all our prayers.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, I've decided to come back to work today to catch up on some work. I will also work tomorrow since it is the end or our fiscal month. There is so much work for my brother and me, but it is also good because we can take our time and setttle my mother's estate on our own timetable. I'm sure many of you have gone through this before, so you know the legal side of dying. It's a harsh reality, but it's something that needs to be done in a timely manner.

Food, exercise and overall health concerns were out the window these past few days. I am committed to starting this new chapter in my life afresh. I owe it to those who love and depend on me and mostly for myself. My mother did not take care of herself for many years. I'm sure she would have lived a longer and fuller life had she not made poor choices when it came to her health. If there is anything that came out of her passing, it's the realization that we NEED to begin taking care of ourselves starting today.

I'm sorry, but I did not read all of your posts over the past few days. I thank you for you understanding!

I've been blessed by all of you here. Thank you!!!! You all mean a great deal to me. Thank you for you paryers and general concern for us. I would be in a terrible state if I did not have friends and faith. I remember my friends and will try to repay you tenfold.

Have a wonderful day!

Frank