1 year old puppy

Options
2»

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    we don't actually do any of that. A monthly bath and alot of exercise. Don;t give table scraps, at least we don't lol.

good luck a puppy is so cool!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i have logic, which is why i am investigating now and asking questions.

people that have babies get informed about different stages in care for their children, and many vets do this for people with their dogs.

rude.
    No, logic is not asking now and blaming your vet because they didn't apparently did not tell you to go back. Logic would have been researching proper pet care before you took on this responsibility. Assuming you do bring your dog in for a check up and vaccinations, count yourself lucky if she is healthy. And don't blame anyone but yourself if she is not.

You have to be kidding, you can't really be that miserable of a person. I've had dogs my whole life, good vets send out reminders of what needs to be done. The OP is obviously researching now so get over yourself and off your high horse.
    So people should wait until their baby is a year old to find out the basic health needs of their child. And they should ask people on a fitness message board for medical advice. Okay. :huh:

When you are thinking about getting a dog you should look into the basic health needs of that dog. Not knowing that dogs need heartworm preventative until the dog is 1 year old? Blaming the vet for her own ignorance? Why wait a year to find out how to care for a dog? She's had a year to find this out.

and sorry, i didn't go to veterinary school. i did what research i knew about. it even says on my vets website under adult dog care to do the worm stuff, my dog JUST turned 1 and i am asking for tips and info from other dog lovers to what heart worm and de-flea meds they put their pets on.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    we don't actually do any of that. A monthly bath and alot of exercise. Don;t give table scraps, at least we don't lol.

good luck a puppy is so cool!

same, once in a while she MIGHT get lucky and get a cheerio or something. but we noticed that her coat is really healthy, and it is probably because she just gets her dog food.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    for anyone concerned, my puppy is quite happy and healthy.....
    219400_9503.jpg
    foxy is wondering why the reaction
    219400_5281.jpg
    she thinks that certain people need to chill the eff out
    219400_1156.jpg
    but really...she is healthy, so provide thoughts on great veterinary care and experiences, or gtfo
    219400_3505.jpg

:)
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Foxyforce.
    I think we will just ignore miss know-it-all.

If you have had your dog for a year she will definately requrie a booster. And yes she will also need worming, flea treatment etc, and just having a general check up once a year is a good idea (you know this already otherwise you would not be asking). Exactly what else I'm not too sure as I am a cat owner rather than a dog owner. What I advise is that you write down a list of all your questions and take it with you to the vet. That way you will not forget what you want to know in the stress of seeing them poking your pet around (they will do that). Include questions such as "Do they have a system for sending out automatic reminders for such things". Most do (its a good way of generating business apart from any thing else). They should be more than happy to answer them in a way you understand. If they are not, or they blind you with scince then consider changing your vet if there is another convenient one. But give these guys another chance as they know your dog.

You might also want to ask them about insurance and "vacanations for life". Unexpected costs for illness and accidents can be astronmical and you would be heart broken if you ahd to have her put down for a treatable disease you could not afford to fund. Vacanations for life are not quite what they sound like - you still need yearly boosters but you pay one sum up front and then the rest are free. This is normally much cheaper.

You are NOT a terrible pet owner. You did exactly the right thing when you got the puppy - especially having her fixed. Now one year on you are finding out what exactly the right thing to do now is. I call that being a good pet owner.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i have logic, which is why i am investigating now and asking questions.

people that have babies get informed about different stages in care for their children, and many vets do this for people with their dogs.

rude.
    No, logic is not asking now and blaming your vet because they didn't apparently did not tell you to go back. Logic would have been researching proper pet care before you took on this responsibility. Assuming you do bring your dog in for a check up and vaccinations, count yourself lucky if she is healthy. And don't blame anyone but yourself if she is not.

You have to be kidding, you can't really be that miserable of a person. I've had dogs my whole life, good vets send out reminders of what needs to be done. The OP is obviously researching now so get over yourself and off your high horse.
    So people should wait until their baby is a year old to find out the basic health needs of their child. And they should ask people on a fitness message board for medical advice. Okay. :huh:

When you are thinking about getting a dog you should look into the basic health needs of that dog. Not knowing that dogs need heartworm preventative until the dog is 1 year old? Blaming the vet for her own ignorance? Why wait a year to find out how to care for a dog? She's had a year to find this out.

Please TRY reading all this again. She took her dog to the vet and did everything the vet said needed to be done for the age. It is the vets responsibility to let her know what medications etc are needed. When someone has a baby they don't automatically know what is needed, the pediatrician tells them. I know I've never found a decent emergency vet so I do understand why you don't know what good vets do. But you should really try to not be so judgemental. A good vet tech would have offered advice rather than just being rude.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If your "puppy" is a ***** make sure she doesnt do any jumping (onto couch etc) after being spayed/neutered for 2+weeks
    Vaccinations: 2vaccinations 2weeks apart followed by a booster every year
    Puppy worming... Every 2wks till about 4 or 5mths with a good quality puppy wormer like drontal puppy, twice yearly after that
    +heartworm/lungworm if you are in an area prone to these types of worms
    diet good quality complete dry: eukaneuba, hills science diet, gain, james wellbeloved etc etc
    Barf... "Bones and raw food" best diet there is... If anyone is interested I will elaborate further.
    Anyone need to know anything in particular?
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Foxyforce.

If you have had your dog for a year she will definately requrie a booster. And yes she will also need worming, flea treatment etc, and just having a general check up once a year is a good idea (you know this already otherwise you would not be asking). Exactly what else I'm not too sure as I am a cat owner rather than a dog owner. What I advise is that you write down a list of all your questions and take it with you to the vet. That way you will not forget what you want to know in the stress of seeing them poking your pet around (they will do that). Include questions such as "Do they have a system for sending out automatic reminders for such things". Most do (its a good way of generating business apart from any thing else). They should be more than happy to answer them in a way you understand. If they are not, or they blind you with scince then consider changing your vet if there is another convenient one. But give these guys another chance as they know your dog.

You might also want to ask them about insurance and "vacanations for life". Unexpected costs for illness and accidents can be astronmical and you would be heart broken if you ahd to have her put down for a treatable disease you could not afford to fund. Vacanations for life are not quite what they sound like - you still need yearly boosters but you pay one sum up front and then the rest are free. This is normally much cheaper.

You are NOT a terrible pet owner. You did exactly the right thing when you got the puppy - especially having her fixed. Now one year on you are finding out what exactly the right thing to do now is. I call that being a good pet owner.

a booster after her puppy shots? i will check. i think i will bring her in today to get her nails clipped anyway. we were trying that pedipaws crap and she totally doesn't like it.
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Only saw the pics of Foxy after I posted. She is adorable and as you say clearly very healthy.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Foxyforce.

thank you, i am also going to look into pet insurance.......
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Alrighty everyone holster your attitudes. First if you do not have faith in your Veterinarian, then go shopping around. Second most Veterinarians’ will have a brand of Heartworm medication that they prescribe, I do not know where you live in the vast sphere but where I live we are soon to be out of the season of the mosquito. Most places will Microchip only upon request and as for the Spaying, Laparoscopic laser are expensive and not all Veterinarian hospitals have them, if this was a concern of yours you should have clarified this before you had the procedure done. The Spaying process requires an incision and thusly sutures to close said incision.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My dogs hate the pedipaw. :-). She is adorable!!
    Most vaccines need to be done once a year but rabies can be every 3 years.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    We get drops for on our puppy every 4 - 6 weeks which covers worms, fleas, heartworm, etc etc etc... all done in one go - easy peasy.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to call your vet and ask ?S either. I also have a vet that sends stuff in the mail but they probably won't send something until next year? I would not get mad yet at them for that. If she was just all updated now anyway. Also we use Sentinol (spelling?) for our dogs too for heartworm and stuff. Pupperoni is the best for sticking little pills into for them to take ;) or even some moist food for that matter. If you have any ?S feel free to email me :) I will happily answer without any rude or hateful comments :) Even on training too ;) Good Luck Beautiful dog :)
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a less is more type of dog owner. I don't want to pump my dog full of poisons if she doesn't need them. Most pet owners are unaware of the risks. I think it's great that your vet didn't push a bunch of crap on you that you didn't ask for, actually.

First, make sure you are feeding a quality food. You can use this site to see how brands compare: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ Look for a 4 or 5 star food.

Bring in a fecal sample for your yearly vet appointments and have them check for parasites (worms). Worming is only necessary if they actually have them.

As for heartworm preventative, that varies by region and time of year. Most vets will try to push you to yearly preventative, but it's not entirely necessary to do it year round, but it is important to know how your area is impacted by this. You don't want to mess around with heartworms: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/08/03/why-havent-pet-owners-been-told-these-facts-about-heartworm.aspx

I don't do a flea/tick preventative. I'll treat fleas if they happen (hasn't happened yet and my dog is almost three). When we're in an area that may have ticks, I use a natural repellant spray made for dogs (Ark Naturals Neem Protect Spray (and shampoo, too). Check your dog often.

Vaccinations are also not necessary ever year as long as you get the initial puppy series, except for rabies which is required by law, usually every three years (it varies by state). Just like in humans, most of those shots actually provide much longer immunity than you may think. You can ask your vet for a titer test to be sure they're covered if you're worried about over-vaccination: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/31/what-your-vet-didnt-tell-you-about-all-those-puppy-and-kitty-vaccines.aspx

Microchipping is a personal choice. If you think there may be any chance your dog can get away from you and you want to be sure she can make it back home if someone finds her, get her chipped.

Good luck!
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The only advice I have is find a good brand of dog food, not some commerical brand....I work at a pet store and was trained like crazy on pet food, don't get food with by-product meal in it.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There is usually a monthly pill or topical treatment you need to be giving her to prevent heart worm and all those other nasty little parasites. Your dog really only NEEDS a yearly visit unless you think there's something wrong....which, from the looks of it, there's not. Just call your vet and ask when you need to bring her in for her annual check up. You're doing fine.
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    I really love how everyone is all of a sudden a "Dog expert".
    Did anyone think about this little ones teeth? NO!! I will start off by stating I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician. I work for a Veterinary dentist in the DC area.
    Any dog under 15 lbs should have their teeth evaluated by their first birthday. They will already start showing signs of crowding and potential problems. There could be baby teeth as well, and you do not even know it.
    Like Elisabat said, you should have done research before you just bought a dog. Their health is now in your hands and is ultimately up to you to "raise" them and get them the best health care you can.
    I see so many of these little Pomeranian and Maltese and little dogs with horrible tooth problems, that no one does anything about until they have nasty breath and all of their teeth are rotting out of their heads. It is very sad actually.
    It is frustrating to be in the veterinary field and see idiots own animals, and only rely on what the vet tells them.

Good luck with your puppy!