Going on a first date...Do I tell about my weight loss??

Options
2»

Replies

• brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No, not recommended. Obviously you should be very proud of yourself and it is a journey but don't let it define you. Talk to him about the person that you are, things you enjoy, your passions, your career and goals. Besides, he's a guy... I'm sure he'd rather hear what your favorite color is. :devil: (no offence to the men out there!)
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    dont do like i did when i metioned a 60 pound weight loss i pulled my shirt up and sqeezed my belly then slaped it back and forth some chanting whos your daddy whos your daddy
  • mindirella
    Options
    @Yobhcir - lol too funny :) I hope that didn't really happen!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I recently went on a semi-blind date (knew the guy in HS). I told him I had recently lost 80 lbs. His response...

"Yeah, I expected heavier!"
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your great accomplishment!

Bring it up on your first date? Naah, just have a good time!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

On a first date I probably wouldn't, it's more to meet eachother and feel eachother out.
    I also started dating thru this whole weight loss journey, with my boyfriend and I now being together 7 months, and I think it came up fairly early on but moreso becuase I looked alot different than my pics. I have lost 84 lbs (24 of which I have lost since being with him). He's seen a huge change.

I think it's something to be proud of, I think it's something they need to know becuase you are alot more 'disciplined' than some, but I think first date it would all depend on where your topics lead.

Have fun!
  • georgie6porgie
    georgie6porgie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would not. Focus on who and where you are now. Enjoy yourself. Talk about things you are looking forward to, hobbies, work, listen and learn about new perspectives, soak up and truly enjoy the atmosphere. Talking about past weight loss might fall in line with talking unnecessarily about past relationships -- and it's a turnoff. It's just that, past. Focus on your future! Have fun.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, because a couple of the following things go through the guy's head... (I have lots of guy friends, I know)

"OMG so if she lost that much weight will she gain it all back" or
    "Great, will she be scrutinizing everything I eat and do" or'
    "Great, does that mean her life will revolve around dieting and working out and she will get her panties in a wad if she doesn't work out one day or if she eats cake"

Let it go until you know each other better.
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    dont do like i did when i metioned a 60 pound weight loss i pulled my shirt up and sqeezed my belly then slaped it back and forth some chanting whos your daddy whos your daddy

NICE!!! I will keep that in mind....too funny :laugh:
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am just going to have a good time and see what happens next. I am who I am!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't mention it unless it organically came up in discussion (say, he mentions that HE'S been working on losing weight). It can sound like you're obsessed if you randomly start talking about weight loss.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is personal, unless he brags about competetive eating contests he has won, there is no reason to bring it up at all really. Be honest about your lifestyle so you do not mislead him into thinking you live for eating and skinny just comes naturally. If you start the relationship off as couch potatoes, you might still be there in ten years if it is true love, if you mix in active dates, maybe you can be successful and in love at the same time. Good luck to you!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No...and no talk about ex-boyfriends either.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't think you should... and? As for being nervous -- think about that nervousness as anticipation and excitement. They are actually the same emotion - it's just how you label it. Remember, he's on his first date too - so probably also a little nervous. It's just a date, it's not a promise of forever... Go... Have Fun... Laugh... Enjoy...

Good Luck - hope you have a great time!! :)
  • twosteps
    twosteps Posts: 39
    Options
    Aaaghh please let us know how it went?! :D Best of luck!! x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd just concentrate on being who you are now and learning about your date. If it feels right to bring it up, it feels right. If not, don't. Just let the conversation flow naturally.

This ^^
  • susiebear29
    Options
    hope you have a great time!!!! like you said just be yourself and enjoy the evening!! :smile: