Day 1 on MFP. What should I know about that isn't obvious?

Options

Replies

• historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    check out the reports and look at your weight loss graph every now and then. It can be a great motivator on those days when you feel like it is not working. Like others have said, find what works for you and take what others say with a grain of salt.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1. Never stop logging. Log the good days AND the bad days but especially the REALLY bad days.
    2. Everyone is different and here for a variety of reasons. Not all advise is universal. Figure out what fits with your goals.
    3. The percentages for protein, carbs, etc aren't set in stone. Figure out what works for you and roll with it.

Welcome and good luck!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I have two rules for MFP

1) Be patient - dont rush You didn;t get here overnight

2) This site has two primary focal points that I find very different.
    We have people who are losing weight and
    people who are working on getting fitter.
    We all have different problems and a different focus but most people are very supportive and helpful
    (Some can be a bit sarcastic and others are a-holes however)
    I want to get thru my group one focus and on the group two.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    1. Never stop logging. Log the good days AND the bad days but especially the REALLY bad days.

and this
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Wow, waaay more responses than I was expecting. Thanks everyone!

Ness8411 - YES! You're totally correct. I tend to forget those things when I shouldn't.

cole_carter - I noticed that! This is the only setup I've seen that does that.

amnsetie - You're correct. I know how to diet and exercise properly. I've just been too lazy for too long. Depression and demotivation suck hard. Thank you for the excellent site tips...and taking the time to investigate me before commenting.

usmcmp - It's most excellent to know that the search functions actually work on this site.

johnnydubroy - This is going to sound completely strange, but...hot pockets. They'll fill you up, give you all the greasy feel-good-ness, but are usually between 500-600 calories for two. Just be careful not to depend on them. They're usually high in fat and sodium. Also, sandwiches on "good" bread will fill you up pretty fast. Just be careful what you're putting on them. If you're specifically talking about recipes and such for the food diary section, then no, I'm not too familiar with it.

whatascene - Glad to know I picked the right choice. 1 pound a week. Yes, exercise helps burn calories and MFP can calculate it. I also wouldn't dream of calculating in the time I spend doing menial things like walking into work from my car. Thanks for the luck! Right back at you!

rcockrell6 - Starvation mode is a slowing of the metabolism as shown in the link directly below yours. There are ways to delay the crash in your BMR. I've seen caffeine used before. That can be dangerous though. If you haven't read that link you really should. It could have been used in a health textbook.

2hobbit1 - That link is gold. I know most of the information on it, and the stuff I'm not sure on I'll have to reread. My biggest problem is taking what I know and applying it to my fat, lazy butt.

funkyspunky87 - If you're familiar with it, you just described the tortoise and the hare analogy with dieting. Crash dieting also tends to lead to gaining even more weight when you stop. Slow and steady wins the race. Also, good luck with your fight with bulimia. Eating disorders can be just as dangerous and obesity.

donyellemoniq - Yes, I understand the concept. My problem is I eat WAY more, and weigh more. ;)

AmyFett - Yes, they are. I'm on them when I could be riding a bike or having a jog. ;)

funkyspunky87 - Thanks again! All that except the scooby link was in the link from 2hobbit1. I'll have to check out the scooby link.

pamelad77 - I understand. If everyone was on top of their game when it came to fitness we probably wouldn't be here, would we? Sticking to it is definitely where I've been falling short.

MarieWalley - I've never heard it said as body temperature. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks.

katamus - Gotcha. (Note: Take katamus as potential troublemaker. :wink: )

tlnurse - This is what's known as post tagging or bookmarking. It's a fairly common forum tactic. Most forums will have a way you can go back to the posts you've made recently. I'm glad to know it works here too.

Helloitsdan - NO! Props to YOU! Seriously, you could write a book. No gimmicks, just facts.

christinehowa - As with anything, never accept a single source as gospel. I hear you loud and clear.

KimiSkeens - And to expand on that... When you feel hungry drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If you're still hungry then you should eat. Frequently your body can confuse thirst for hunger.

historygirldd - Mmm, motivation. I needs it. I'll be sure to check on those when I start to falter. Charts can make things look better than you think they are.

Edit: Lol, more people slipped in as I was commenting.

needamulligan - There really are some days where I could use a mulligan. And I'll take your answers to heart. I really need to stick to it.

junodog1 - Group focus? Could you elaborate more on the groups?

Okay, I think I got everyone. Thanks to everyone for the great advise and even greater welcome. I hope to lose as much as many of you already have.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    eat more, weight less

Eat more than my TDEE to lose weight?
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Eat more in smaller portions to maintain a higher metabolism and lose weight through the bell curve. Approximately 200-500 calories a sitting in three to five sittings a day.

I think I said that right.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    forums are not the place for medical advice.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    For God's sake, before you post ANYTHING in the forums, use that nifty little search function above the dialog box. ^^

And never... EVER... ask how to get a thigh gap, or spot reduce, or if you should eat back your exercise calories... I could go on and on.

Simply put, discretion and brevity are your only friends in the community tab.
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    forums are not the place for medical advice.

The only good medical advice you can gain from a forum is "consult your physician".
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    For God's sake, before you post ANYTHING in the forums, use that nifty little search function above the dialog box. ^^

And never... EVER... ask how to get a thigh gap, or spot reduce, or if you should eat back your exercise calories... I could go on and on.

Simply put, discretion and brevity are your only friends in the community tab.

Sounds like you've fallen victim to the dreaded "google it yourself" reply.

<.<

>.>

o.O

What's a spot reduce?

*ducks*

Edit: Holy cow! 106 lbs lost!?!?! That's like...a whole person!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sugar and saturated fats
    Eat more in smaller portions to maintain a higher metabolism and lose weight through the bell curve. Approximately 200-500 calories a sitting in three to five sittings a day.

Watch out for bogus and/or irrelevant information on the forums.

(I didn't even know the MFP message boards existed the first few months I started using MFP. And there are times when I wish I didn't realize they exist now.)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    eat more, weight less

Shhhhh, stop trying to start a fight. I got this! ;)
  • ben98036
    ben98036 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I have this figured out now. What I was trying to say is that I think "pamelad77" has a very good answer. I tried to post under her post (in response to her post) but it ended up at the end of all of the other posts and didn't make sense there.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    eat more, weight less

you're on a roll tonight...
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options

Thank you for saving this link and reposting for us. Great info.
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Be careful in the forums.. There are some troublemakers. :devil:

Stay away from girls like these with nice default pictures.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yes--drink tons of water.

logging everything you eat and how your body/weight fluctuates really helps you see how what you put in changes how you feel.

getting a heart rate monitor (HRM) seems to be super helpful, i'm waiting for some paychecks to get mine.

i also friended people who were similar to me with regards to goals, gender, age, height, weight, etc so they understood what i was going thru

keep at it, it gets fun
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Be careful in the forums.. There are some troublemakers. :devil:

Stay away from girls like these with nice default pictures.

Thanks for the advice, but I got nothing to worry about with an internet flirt. I'm old, fat and married. All bark, no bite.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you are in a forum you want to save to find easily later...just hit reply and write "bump" and it will save under "my topics'....Ie. recipes, work-out advise, etc.:flowerforyou:

Thanks for this information, I believe I asked how to do this some time ago but not sure where.