What salad dressings/dips do you use?

Options
I have Renees low fat caesar but the fat and calories are too high for my diet.. Any suggestions? I'd like to hear what brand you like for salads and dipping veggies other than hummus

Replies

• blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love the Wishbone salad spritzers.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I've come to love Kraft Parmesan Asiago Balsamic Vinaigrette...40 cal and 1 fat for a 2 Tbsp. serving.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I make various veggie dips with greek yogurt- a packet of ranch dressing mix or onion soup mix are easy- or you can use whatever spices you like.

Also, I frequently dip veggies in mustard. Easy-peasy.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Going to sound weird. Guldens Spicy Mustard for dipping.
  • operagrrl
    operagrrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always make my own! Sometimes I'll just pour a little evoo and balsamic over my salad with a pinch of salt and some fresh ground pepper. Easy and delish!

If I'm in the mood for something with more zing, I pour 1 part evoo, .75 part white wine vinegar, 1 clove of garlic (finely minced), .5 tsp mustard powder, a splash of fresh lime juice, salt, and pepper. (Note, I never measure anything when I make this dressing, so I'm guessing at all the measurements!) I put it in a jar and shake the crap out of it (I count it as a workout!) and then taste and adjust what needs to be adjusted. You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and I find that it's so much more flavorful that anything your can get in the store and doesn't have all kinds of weirdo additives.

My advice is to experiment with making your own. It's ridiculously easy, doesn't take a lot of time, and the taste is *amazing*.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt + Hidden Valley Ranch mix
    Greek yogurt + honey mustard
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like the Galeos brand. There is a sesame/miso one I like and I've seen a Caesar version as well.
  • huuxue
    Options
    quickie balsamic:

a spoonful of mustard (just none of that put it on a hotdog kind of crap)
    olive oil
    balsamic vinegar

;) easy salad dressing... if youre not into acidic dressings then:

greek yogurt (2 spoonfuls)
    mustard
    a few drops of honey
    just a little olive oil to thin it out (i prefer walnut oil)

mix both dressings REALLY well.. :)
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I buy my dressing from our local dollar store. It's made by 'zitos' and it's 5 calories per 2TBS for Italian dressing.
    I haven't seen a better low cal dressing so I'm stoked!
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    Kraft low fat catalina dressing - it's a great alternative to ranch, and works on sandwiches, too.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar

or

A mix of plain greek yogurt, kraft olive oil mayo, lemon juice and spices of your choice (ranch spice packet or something). At least you know what's in it.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OMG. Bolthouse yogurt dressings! Insanely good and totally low calorie. I can hardly believe how great they taste.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Dean's Ranch Dip. 30 calories a tbsp. Easily one of the tastiest dips I've ever had. It's very strong.
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For salad's i just use a balsamic vinegar by itself and for dipping sauce i normally use sweet chilli from the asian section, delish!
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Either simply lime juice or if the salad calls for fat than olive oil or if it is really light version (the ingridience of a salad not the souse) that olive oil+ soy souce + honey.. Balsamic vinigar is good too. Traditional vinegret also doe sthe work. I avoid teh creamy stuff.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like going out to eat at an amazing resturant.. spending too much money and having a fabulous meal....

one of the things i remember about that is always the salad.. its not like something you can fix at home.. its just.. *sigh* amazing.

recently, i found a dressing that reminds me of the house salad!!!

Kroger is the only place ive found it, but i know you can buy it online.

Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette.

2 tablespoons is 15 calories and its friggin AMAZING!!!!!!!! I hope you try it! :heart:
  • lbrittenson
    lbrittenson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms yogurt dressings, and their basic balsamic is so so yummy!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you are at all a ranch lover like myself, check out skinnytaste.com, she has a buttermilk ranch on there, 50 cals for 1/4 cup, double most servings you get for dressing and it is soooo good! She also has a few others, i highly recommend checking them out :)

It is a very simple recipe, dump all ingredients in and mix :) let me know if you try it!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette.

2 tablespoons is 15 calories and its friggin AMAZING!!!!!!!! I hope you try it! :heart:

I found it at WalMart here in California! I love that stuff - I need more! Lol.
  • ovenbird
    ovenbird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ways I dress salads to avoid fat are: just use salt and freshly ground pepper, or Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar or a balsamic vinegar, which are sweeter and milder than other vinegars, or lemon juice, or salsa. My salads have a lot of fresh herbs from my garden, so those give lots of good flavor, plus I have tomatoes now and they are top notch salad toppings, and their juice is a good enough dressing.

Here is another thought I have about salads: You need to consume 2 Tablespoons of vegetable based oil each day for the oleic and linoleic amino acids you can't get from meats. What is the best way to get those fatty acids? You could spread a margerine on bread, but then the bread carbs are not too healthy. You could fry foods in it, but do we know better than to go there? Or you could put that oil on your raw vegetable salad to make it more appealing. I recommend Extra Virgin Olive Oil for salads. Also good is flax seed oil, maybe just a few drops.