Food diaries .. are you surprised sometimes?

Options

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    It is very hard for some people to transition to eating healthy from eating so bad. In the beginning I think it is kind of smart to keep eating what you were...just less of it. It will help with the life change part not just a diet.

THIS. I know I still eat a lot of crap BUT considering what I used to eat and the quantity, it's a major improvement. I know I also make an effort to eat healthier foods.

Now, on that note, if this person is eating just junk and not making any efforts to eat better, that's a different story and they might need some encouragement to try inserting some healthier options.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get pissed when I see someone has like coffee for breakfast, some restaurant food like Chilis tortilla chips (2 whole baskets); cheesy bacony chicken something with fries and a lava cake and then have nothing for dinner because they don't have any calories left. Whyyyy??

Yes!! . this is the kind of thing I mean!.. I just dont get it. *scratches head* ...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    And this is why my diary is private. I don't eat a bunch of junk, but I don't like the idea of people looking at my food choices and judging me. I try not to do it to others, either. Technically, you can eat what you like as long as you're within your calorie limit for the day, so getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

Exactly! :flowerforyou: The second someone on my friends list decides to judge what I eat, they are gone.
  • lshipley1
    lshipley1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like looking at people' diaries. It gives me ideas on what to eat.
  • Tixxie
    Options
    getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned when I look at people's food diaries and they don't contain any fruits and veggies. I'm not the cleanest eater out there, but I almost always get my 8 servings of fruits and veggies every day.
  • Eupho
    Options
    I don't look at other people's logs unless I am asked to. It is none of my business.

helloooo :smile:

I understand that some people don't want you to look at that diaries.. thats why they keep them private.. (mine was private at the start) ..

if people were keeping them 'Their Business' .. I'm sure they would make/keep them private..

Open diary.. means 'Happy to share' IMO. :drinker:

I'm happy to share with my friends.. just not the whole internet.. (some of which might be my freaky ex husband) .. :wink: :laugh:

I'll friend you if you want to have a nosey at mine.. you are more than welcome :smile:
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I disagree with this - I have an open diary so that if I need a reality check then I get one.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I don't judge other people's diaries when I look at them. if a person is logging and publically showing their diary that's good enough for me to know they care about what they are eating but may not have the knowledge, experience, finances or motivation to make more changes. Logging is a first step for many people. Since I'm far from perfect myself, I sort feel "good for them for keeping track".
  • Eupho
    Options
    Agreed. I've had a friend look at my diary and say "wow, you snack a lot" and I thought, duh! That's because most days I eat 4 smaller meals and I just call the 4th meal a snack. I sometimes want to say after reading diaries "why are you eating all those carbs?" but I don't. I am polite and keep my big mouth shut because there are days that I know I blow my carbs and I did NO exercise to even try to balance it out, lol!

We all have good and bad days, right? If I always ate junk I don't think I would have any friends on MFP and I wouldn't be here either.

I will say, Claire, that even though it's 8:45am here in Washington, USA... I am thinking of buying that bottle of moscato and rearranging my food diary for the day so I can have some with dinner!

Do ittt dooo itttt! .. :laugh:

Absolutely.. we all have good and bad days.. (hence me needing to lose about 60 more lbs!!) :laugh:

I am just surprised at some that seem to be WEEKS of junk.. :huh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Junk is also subjective to a degree.
  • Eupho
    Options
    Yes I have one friend who is always whining about not losing weight but then I looked at her diary and she eats a ton of calories and dessert everyday but rationales it because she works out at ton. Clearly if your formula isn't working, time to cut back.

I don't whine when I don't lose weight because *I know* exactly what meals caused me to not lose weight.

I think the friends of mine with hidden diaries are the ones really binging on fast food and other crap because everyone with an open diary at least attempts to eat well most of the time.

I have often wondered this..
  • Eupho
    Options
    Junk is also subjective to a degree.

True! :smile:

I want a cake now... at least if I made it Carrot?... *slurp*
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned when I look at people's food diaries and they don't contain any fruits and veggies. I'm not the cleanest eater out there, but I almost always get my 8 servings of fruits and veggies every day.

that's my concern too. and a lot of pre-prepared meals.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    And this is why my diary is private. I don't eat a bunch of junk, but I don't like the idea of people looking at my food choices and judging me. I try not to do it to others, either. Technically, you can eat what you like as long as you're within your calorie limit for the day, so getting on my high horse and looking down on other people for what they eat is not going to help them lose more weight.

This! Especially as i've had disordered eating in the past, MFP has actually really helped me in terms of getting over that, but there are some days where my calorie intake is really low, and some days where it's really over my recommended calories... not only that but my food combinations are really weird haha, don't want people thinking what a freak I am (; I prefer the privacy, but love the support you can get on here.

The OP has a point, but it's true that saying that won't help anyone lose any weight. It's true that we've all known people (if we've not been that person ourselves) who whinge about not losing weight... whilst eating a pack of doughnuts.
  • Eupho
    Options
    I don't judge other people's diaries when I look at them. if a person is logging and publically showing their diary that's good enough for me to know they care about what they are eating but may not have the knowledge, experience, finances or motivation to make more changes. Logging is a first step for many people. Since I'm far from perfect myself, I sort feel "good for them for keeping track".

Ohh I agree! really!

But honestly.. I am talking some I have seen that have been 'logging' for a year or more... and STILL 4 times a day fast food?

*scratches head* ..
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm generally surprised because other people's diaries seem to have a lot less food in them than mine do. But I tend to make things from scratch, and I add small portions of all kinds of different things, and log each one. I love reading my friends' diaries though - I find it really interesting to see how different people eat, and how it differs in different countries.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to judge, to each his own. Ppl have different ways of losing weight and some are just learning. I love to look at my friends food diary to get ideas and i keep my diary public so i can be of help too. :flowerforyou:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    and bloody hell!! (I'm Eeengleessh ;) .. NO WONDER!

I have PMS ..
    does it show? .. :flowerforyou:
    Ha Ha, too funny!

I'll be honest, I eat a lot of junk and still lose weight. Well, not A LOT as far as qty's but I don't eat clean like people talk about and I eat alot of processed foods. Right now, we have to eat cheap and that's what works for our budget. You can do it, just have to watch portions.

I know what you mean about people that still seem to be clueless about why they aren't losing weight. Not sure whether they really just don't know or if they are seeking attention. Either way, hopefully this site will help them get whatever they need to lose weight.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are PMSing...it really sucks. Hope you feel better! :)

I ate chocolate junk :laugh:

I am feeling better already.. :wink:

But yes, I agree with you, good idea.

Chocolate is not junk!