What do u do if u go over???

Options
2»

Replies

• Pomroy89
    Options
    I've gone over my calories due to a birthday party, do you eat less for the next few days to catch up or do u draw a liner under that day start again tomorrow as normal?? Whenever I go over I always beat myself up for doing it then tend to eat moor again :-( time of the month this week don't help either :-(

I'm also terrible for beating myself up if I eat too much of something or eat something bad. HOWEVER... MFP is all about lifestyle changes and not dieting. Just brush it under the carpet and start a new day tomorrow. Try and exercise a little more this week, go for a nice walk. I find having a skipping rope around the house is helpful.. It's an excellent work out, cheap and easy to do' try mind the furniture!!!

Good luck Hun x
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do nothing and continue as scheduled. Starving yourself doesn't do anything. Beating yourself up doesn't help. It's ok to go over once in awhile.

^^ this

Its in the past, leave it there, move on and look to the future.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    One day doesn't make that much difference, it's about long-term balance, so don't worry about today, try and have a better day tomorrow (but don't over compensate) and keep an eye on your weekly average - that's more important. Most of all don't beat yourself up about it, that just makes you feel miserable then you'll want to comfort eat!!

Well said
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I shoot myself...or go bowling
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I tend to think 'Oh well, I've gone over so may as well eat whatever I want now' and then proceed to eat lots more high calorie, sugary food! Not a recommendation - just an honest answer. Don't beat yourself up about it just start afresh the next day.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

^^This^^

You don't gain or lose pounds in one day. We all have days we go over. As long as they're the exception and not the rule, don't worry.
  • mdmorgan25
    mdmorgan25 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cutting down the next few days is like saying you are going to catch up on sleep. It doesn't work. Once you're past that day, it is just that...the past. Just start fresh the next day. We all have a bad day once in a while.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I consider it a speed bump or a small detour, and carry on as normal. I mean... even if you go way over, what's the absolute worst that can happen? You'll delay the date you reach your goal by a few days? Will that really matter in the grand scheme of things?
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go over, especially if it's by a small amount, I go running.
    Twenty minutes of running, or rather jogging, at a fairly leisurely pace ( ten minutes per mile ) burns about two hundred calories. I weigh one hundred and twenty-five pounds.
    So, if I do forty minutes of running plus twenty minutes of KPOP/JPOP/CPOP dances, I've burned about five hundred calories.

If I can't do any more exercise because it's late and I need to go to bed, I forget about it and vow to do better tomorrow. After all, it's not like you gain weight in just one day unless you're eating upwards of four thousand calories and not exercising. In which case, you would gain a pound a day.
  • TexanThom
    Options
    I look at my weekly intake and make sure I'm still under over the week.

Best advice ever!!!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    make healthy choices for the remainder of the day, do a little workout (if you can), and eat less for the next few days...
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Fit in some exercise if you can and commit to do better the next day. The more you neat yourself up, the more difficult and negative sticking to your plan will be. Don't try to make up the calories the next day... just do better the next day.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you great reply's, i'll brush it under the carpet and start fresh tomorrow, I've got to stop beating myself up, think it's because there is 3 of us trying to lose weight and I don't want to be the one to put weight on this week :-( thanks again xx
  • abiwotnot
    abiwotnot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to think "oh I failed so I may as well give up" - I have the same mentality, and am also trying to give up smoking so am careful of the same attitude to that too as I desperately want to stop, despite the odd blip!!

I keep telling myself one "bad" day out of seven is not as bad as seven bad days x
  • Mz_AnGeLic
    Options
    I get discouraged n eat more, even tho I know I shouldnt. I tend to be an emotional eater n im working on that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Way, way, way back in April of 2011, I logged everything for my niece's bachelorette party. I preplanned what I'd order for dinner, logged a piece of cake, logged enough calories for as many alcoholic beverages as I thought I would probably drink, and hit the "finish your diary" button. Ended up with over 2500 calories that day, and it said if every day were like today, in five weeks, I'd gain five pounds.

I thought, "That's it?!" I could eat like that, drink like that, EVERY DAY for five weeks and only gain five pounds?! It would be SOOOOO worth it! :laugh:

So after that, I stopped logging food on one weekend day a week. If there was a party, I wasn't going to log. If I was going out for dinner with my husband, I wouldn't log. I knew I couldn't do enough damage even eating like mad to undo what I did the rest of the week, because every day wouldn't be like that. When it came time for my niece's bridal shower, I didn't log a damn thing.

Two months later, I stopped logging on weekends and holidays all together, and I've been doing that ever since.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Exercise more for the rest of the week to make up for the binge. I had a massive binge on Wednesday and I've been working hard to stay ahead for the week because of it. Next binge: tomorrow. Sunday is my *usual* planned binge day.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here about not beating oneself up, or going excessively strict after a day or two of indulgence. If doing the latter, it really does set one up for a binge, or with excessive exercise right off the bat, injury or over-training. LIfe happens and sometimes, despite our best efforts we don't always eat absolutely 100% perfect all the time, nor do we always get our workouts in. Even trainers say that if one achieves at least 80% compliance with one's diet and training, that's doing really well and one will get results. Consider those days as treat days and rest days, and then just hop back on the train and keep rolling! Don't let a day or two become a week, a month, or more. The longer one goes with indulgence, the harder it is to get back on track.