I Think I Need Help or an Evaluation

Options
Hi guys...

I just started here about a week ago (I wish I found this place sooner) and have been trying to understand the right way to eat, right foods to eat, the balance between C/F/P, and how to adjust the great tools you have here for us to use.

I lost a great deal of weight about a year ago (about 70lbs) dieting on my own and my body went into some sort of shock. I feel good now and even better that I have found this great place here at MFP, but I would like to be sure that I am on the right track with my calculations.

I know its a lot to ask, but could someone check out what I have done so far this week on my own. Let me know what I may be doing wrong or maybe even right. I posted a little history and some stats in my "About Me" section and everything should be open to view.

I just don't want to experence that shock state I got myself into before.
Wasn't fun at all...

Any help would be great...

Thanks

Replies

• lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why is your daily calorie goal so low? You are probably starving.
  • soph120
    Options
    Well first off 500 calories for a daily goal is way way WAY too low... If you eat less than 500 calories a day your body is going to go into starvation mode and any time you eat a normal days worth of food, you'll gain the weight right back. That's probably where that shock state came from. I'd recommend eating at least 1300 calories a day...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why do u only eat 500 cals?
  • arieleisner
    Options
    What you're doing is really unhealthy, you need to eat at least your BMR in calories every day to be healthy. Why did you decide on 500 calories per day?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You are correct, you need help.

How long have you been attempting this intake and have you seen a physician lately?
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my opinion, is you need more fat. Not greasy deep fried junk, but good fat. Found in avocados and nuts. An extremely low fat diet can cause your hair and nails serious issues. I'm not a Dr or a Nutritionist. These are things I've picked up. Make sure your body is getting enough calories and nutrients. Maybe you should seek out a Nutritionist professional opinion. Really one appt could do you a world of good. I wish you the best of luck in your journey:)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what the others said. eat some food. it's good for you. how to expect to live the rest of your life eating only 500 calories? basically in order to make sure your weight loss is lasting, your "diet" should be something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I didn't even notice the calories amount your eating. That is just insane. Bump it up!!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Assuming you haven't had weight loss surgery, 500 calories is WAY too low. Women are recommended to eat no less than 1200 calories, men even more. Try setting your goal higher. You may gain a little weight at first from the adjustment (think of it as resetting your body), but after a few weeks you will begin losing again. 500 isn't just "not recommended" it can do serious damage to your body, especially your heart.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What they said...

You're starving yourself. Loosing your hair because your body needs those precious resources to keep you alive.

EAT
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    how tall are you that your eventual goal weight is 150?
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    try this - it will help you figure out a very healthy daily calorie intake

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

it doesnt always make sense that you have to eat more to lose weight but it does work
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I am sort of confused like everyone else as to why you are eating so low. I mean, to have a 500 calorie deficit usually means subtracting 500 from your normal intake.

Maybe try to use the guided goals and see what MFP gives you. I think normally a body should consume at least a net of 1,200 calories.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Please eat more than 500 calories per day. I'm 54yrs old and feel comfortable at the 1400 calorie mark and have been losing 1 lb per week since the beginning of July. Please eat. It is not healthy at 500 calories per day.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor know how many calories you are eating? Pretty much everybody on here is able to lose weight eating at least double the amount of calories you are eating. If you were getting dizzy and your hair was falling out that's not good!! I bet you could eat much more than that of healthy foods and still lose weight! Try it! This concerns me.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    OMG another 500 a day-er. I can't take it anymore.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, especially dinner. Seriously.
  • SailorStevens
    Options
    As for the 500 Cal setting...

It was just an arbitary number until I could figure this all out.

I will change it

Some asked how tall I was... I'm 5-11
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's WAY WAY WAY too low.... Use MFP and start with that figure!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As for the 500 Cal setting...

It was just an arbitary number until I could figure this all out.

I will change it

Some asked how tall I was... I'm 5-11

You'll likely end up somewhere near the following, this is an eyeball job but this should put you in a much better spot:

~1800-1900 kcal
    150p
    75f
    150c

Increasing directly to this intake will probably cause a buttload of bloating but you should stabilize after a couple of weeks. Monitor progress and adjust upwards or downwards after about 3 weeks depending on the direction the scale goes.

I'd set your expectation at about 1lb/week loss at this point.