Trying to cut out bread and keep around 2500 cal a day.

Options
I've been wanting to cut out most bread from my diet. My breakfast is pretty dead set, but I work nights so I don't have alot of time to really prepare meals. For the last few months I've just been making sandwiches that are Whole wheat bread and lots of vegetables some meat and a little cheese. Sort of deli style. I was hoping to possibly cut breads out completely for a while. That and I'm not sure if I've been eating to much bread lol. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Replies

• MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You have the same 24 hours in a day as people who work during the day , don't you ?
    (not being a smart *kitten*). I work nights too. 2nd shift, not 3rd. You have all day to prepare your meals, no ? I do it. (I actually do most of it on my weekends). Unless you have someone to do all your cooking for you, it's just not going to happen unless you make time to do it yourself.

Make a whole bunch of something (or a few things) and eat them all week. Easy food for the week. (Not sandwiches though, they dont hold together well for days).

HTH

ETA: As for cutting out bread, you can keep it if it fits into your calories and macros. I wouldnt eat it in place of meat, or something good like that : ) But if it fits, keep it.
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to wrap a lot of things with romaine lettuce.... I make sandwiches and in place of bread make a roll-up with lettuce. I wrap burgers in lettuce and even turkey chop meat , eggs, etc .... whatever can fit between 2 slices of bread can be rolled up into some lettuce :-)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't necessarily bad. Plenty of people lose weight just fine eating it. If you want to reduce bread, easiest way is to up protein and green fibrous veggies. So instead of a sandwich, bring a salad with a lot of meat. Or just put twice as much meat on your sandwiches and cut bread elsewhere
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    i use to work 3rd shift and at first it was hard but i made a plan that work for me
    9pm wake up breakfast
    10pm I was at work
    12 am a snack
    4am lunch that I always pack it just easier to plan in advance
    7am a snack
    8am workout
    10am dinner
    2pm bedtime
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    cutting out bread is a hard one... not only of its adictiveness but its very much social in everything we eat.
    When i cut out bread i went to low sodium low cal craxkers and snack bread (made by ryvita) instead of a sandwich i would put my protein on crackers etc or put it on a salad. breakfast would be a high fiber cereal and cittage cheese n fruit. if i went out ..id have the hamburger without the bun...or eat the sandwich filling...toss out the bread n grab a few crackers.
    sometimes if i am on the go and cant plan/pack a meal i use a protein shake/meal replacement drink....gives me everything i need n keeps me filled n on track.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to cut out most bread from my diet. My breakfast is pretty dead set, but I work nights so I don't have alot of time to really prepare meals. For the last few months I've just been making sandwiches that are Whole wheat bread and lots of vegetables some meat and a little cheese. Sort of deli style. I was hoping to possibly cut breads out completely for a while. That and I'm not sure if I've been eating to much bread lol. Any and all opinions are welcome.

I work 12 hour overnight shifts (1900-0700)...

I use my crockpot to cook while I am asleep... chicken and salsa... or beef... or anything...

when I am off I cook double in order to plan for work nights...
  • cattasraafe
    cattasraafe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is not a bad idea I do like a good beef stew. I'm sure I could make a decent stew that is pretty low on sodium. Any what other crock pot recipes would be good to last for about 5 days? I'd like very much just to cook on the weekend if I had to. On my actual work days between my runs, social life, workout routine and other I have little time to cook that is why I just spend 15min making couple of sandwiches lol. I also want to do a lot of rice based, and a stir fry can last a while if you make enough but its not very high with the calories and such. I've been trying to work on a decent meal for that as well. Even after breakfast I still need a good 1800 calories for the day no including snacks and such.
  • nsblue
    Options
    There's alot one can make n freeze to make it easier on yourself..... i am always portioning n freezing meals to make it easier. Heck even rice can be portioned n frozen...i always have it frozen to go with my sweet n sour or HG meatballs...or curried chicken or just with chicken.... quick n easy...microwave n ready to eat in minutes.
    stews are great n fill u too ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating bread?
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You said you only want to cut it out "for a while" so I'm assuming you have no medical condition that requires you to do so... if it's convenient for you, why cut it out?
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you are making progress in your weight and fitness/health goals then I wouldn't cut it out if it fits your lifestyle. There are some delicious whole wheat breads full of seeds etc. you could also go for thin sliced!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Breads fine.
  • YUMMY45
    Options
    Try Pita bread. 0-2 grams of fat. Tastes good too. Hope this helps :)
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and keep it around 1250 every day.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend cutting bread out -completely- if you enjoy it, unless you have a particular distaste for bread. The key to weight loss is a lifestyle change, and you should never feel the need to completely eliminate something. A healthy diet is also one you shouldn't ponder too much, it should come naturally.

Bread is fine, in moderation - Choose whole grain, high fiber items, and never rely on them to build the bulk of your meal. I personally usually only eat a slice of dark pumpernickel toast with peanut butter in the morning, or overnight oats for breakfast - that's usually as far as my bread-type consumables go for the day.

I also noticed you are hoping to cut down on bread, yet you want to make more rice dishes? I definitely recommend sticking to a moderate bread consumption and avoiding an abundance of rice dishes, at least bread has more beneficial nutrients and is less calorie dense than starchy white rice.

In terms of preparing meals, I would recommend cooking various veggies, and protein all in the same time, choosing things that could go together so you can mix and match.

So, when in a hurry and on-the-go, you could quickly choose a tupperware of broccoli, maybe a tupperware of some fish, or perhaps instead a veggie stir-fry with that fish, or a tupperware of lentils with some chicken, et cetera, et cetera. That way, you will have a lot of combinations to choose from, and you aren't eating the same food every day.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    All sound advice indeed. The main question to my statement seems to be why though. Why would I cut out bread. I have no allergy to any kind of bread also my blood sugar is not an an issue. From what everyone is saying what I was thinking could be completely wrong. The reason I am wanting to cut out bread and make this diet change (mind you when I started this diet I weighed 225lbs or so so I've lost close to 80 pounds) so this does seems kind of absurd. The reason I am cutting out bread is because in my working out and toning up I and the close to 80lbs lost I just can not seem to rid myself of my gut. I was thinking possibly the bread was leaving me bloated... yet I never feel bloated. So a diet change seemed like a good idea. No reason in trying something new to try and get a different result.
  • nsblue
    Options
    i heard of people talking about the wheat belly diet... and it working for them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

for me it was due to bread being my downfall so i chose to eliminate during weightloss. i have an occassional slice now but mostpart stay away from it.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    wow that is fairly enlightening. I just need to use myfitnesspal here to help me build up a few recipes that I can use through the week. I've been looking up different rices that might be okay eat a bunch of, but there even seems to be loads of negative stuff about that as well. Food sucks :-( why do we have to have so many options now lol :-(.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    its not bread its fat....unless your 6ft and decent muscle mass then its fat. The lower stomach is the last fat to leave the body when dieting in 90 percent of males, stop belaming it on food and keep working it will go it just takes time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    What is it about bread that you feel you need to eliminate? If it is the mythical "bread makes me hold onto weight" then yes, you could conceivably lose some pounds while eliminating grains. That would include rice, corn, wheat. All wheat. But all you are really "losing" is the water weight due to the increased need for fluids during digestion of grains (and legumes and starchy vegetables). If you start eating them again, you will again need increased fluid in your digestive track to move the material along, thereby "regaining" the pounds.

What is your reason for eliminating bread? You haven't really told us.