Larabar bites - 28 calories - 3 ingredients/pictures

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
Larabars are delicious, but so high in calories. Most of the varieties weigh in at 200-250 calories. I make this version with only 3 ingredients and each bite is only 28 calories. Three or four make a great snack and are so healthy. Dates and nuts offer so much nutritional value. These are gluten and dairy free.

Like most of my recipes, this one is flexible. Don't have cashews or they are too expensive - use almonds or sunflower seeds or just a combination of nuts. Don't drink coffee - use water. Throw a few dried cranberries, blueberries or a bit of chopped dried coconut in with the dates. Just change it up to suit what you have at home or what is the most economical to purchase.

I keep these bites in the freezer. They are soft and chewy even after being frozen. I stack them in a plastic container between squares of waxed paper.

Enjoy this recipe and please let me know how you change yours and what you think of them.

I have lots of gluten and dairy free recipes on my MFP blog. Please feel free to visit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

lbbs.jpg

Mmmm...

lbi1.jpg

Only three simple ingredients

Larabar Bites

Ingredients:

- 1 cup, roughly chopped, pitted dates (about 24)
- 3/4 cup nuts (use cashews, almonds, walnut, pecan, sunflower seeds, pepitas)
- 2 - 2 1/2 Tablespoons strong coffee (without sugar or cream) or water

Preparation:

1. Roughly chop dates and nuts. This helps the processor do it's job.
2. Place dates and nuts into processor and add 1 Tablespoon of coffee
3. Start the processor and add the rest of the coffee as needed. Stop and scrape often.
4. Once the mixture is formed - dates and nutes well chopped and formed into a ball, scoop out into a bowl or plate. Use some liquid to help your spatula and mixing spoon.
5. Using a teaspoon measure dipped into the coffee between scoops, scoop out and roll into balls and place on a waxed paper lined plate or tray. Dipping the teaspoon into the liquid will help to release the mixture from the teaspoon.
6. Freeze for at least 1 hour. (I usually can't wait the hour)
7. To store, layer 10 or 12 at a time between squares of waxed paper.

Calories - 28 calories per ball as written
Sugar - 3
Sodium - 8
Carbs - 4
Potassium - 51
Protein - 1

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bpreteroti
    Options
    bump! will give a try
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks so much :)
  • mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    These look delicious! I've made something similar and liked it - this is much quicker and easier though!

Thanks for sharing! can't wait to try these! :) I'll add some cranberries because I love cranberries!
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How many bites are made? How big are they? Golfball sized or smaller?
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Good question! I'd be interested in knowing this too. They look like they are a little smaller than a ping-pong ball but kinda hard to tell from the pic.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump! these look like a yummy snack!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Would be great after a workout. Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:
  • nortx
    Options

Sorry, I forgot to add in the number of bites this recipe makes. This recipe will make 41 - 1 teaspoon bites. Each bite is 28 calories.

Sorry I left that out.

:blushing:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i need to try this
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yum! i've had something like it but i think it had peanut butter and raisins in it, and i don't think i was as healthy lol! how do they stick?? oh duh, never mind. i see the coffee is to be made lol, not grounds!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Someone has a variation of this online as well for anyone interested:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/10/13/make-these-now/

I mad them with almond butter, dates, cocoa powder and a little vanilla extract. It was really difficult to mix and I killed my very old blender (to be fair, it was on its last legs already) since I didn't process the dates well enough on their own first.

I won't make these any more. I love them, but I had zero restraint to limit my eating them to a couple balls. I suppose if they freeze well, that could remedy the problem since I won't be eating them frozen. Any ideas on freezing them?
  • catmaus
    Options
    Sounds like a great snack!! I will have to make them today!!
  • nortx
    Options
    yum! i've had something like it but i think it had peanut butter and raisins in it, and i don't think i was as healthy lol! how do they stick?? oh duh, never mind. i see the coffee is to be made lol, not grounds!

Sticking is easy with the dates because they smoosh up great. The coffee helps to make them moist. It also helps the spatula and mixing spoon and teaspoon measure release them. It's the same idea as when you dip your spatula in water when you are frosting cupcakes or a cakes. Smooths and releases easier.
  • nortx
    Options
    Someone has a variation of this online as well for anyone interested:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/10/13/make-these-now/

I mad them with almond butter, dates, cocoa powder and a little vanilla extract. It was really difficult to mix and I killed my very old blender (to be fair, it was on its last legs already) since I didn't process the dates well enough on their own first.

I won't make these any more. I love them, but I had zero restraint to limit my eating them to a couple balls. I suppose if they freeze well, that could remedy the problem since I won't be eating them frozen. Any ideas on freezing them?

They don't freeze solid. It;s like freezing dried cranberries or apricots.. they remain somewhat soft and chewy.
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump- they look delicious!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    They don't freeze solid. It;s like freezing dried cranberries or apricots.. they remain somewhat soft and chewy.
    Great, it sounds like you've tried it then. I'm more wondering about whether freezing ruins the taste or consistency. If they're in the freezer, even a little soft still, they would be less of a temptation. :wink:
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    do you happen to know the fat for them? :)