Unfair Trainer

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    OMG Drama! Drop them both! This is not helping you and just sounds like a royal pain in the *kitten*. If I had to go through all that drama every time I wanted to work out I'd never go to the gym.

Plus sounds like you want to keep the friendship w/the girl (even if she is too much drama IMO). How long of this nonsense before it starts affecting that? If you want to keep her as a friend you need to drop her as a gym partner.
  • Going to the gym shouldn't be about relationships between you and anyone else; it's about getting to know yourself and pushing your limits. You're getting so caught up in the drama that your workout partner and trainer are causing, that your own workouts are suffering.

I say ditch them both and get your own trainer that focuses on YOU. To leave you alone is ridiculous. You could get seriously hurt if you end up doing an exercise incorrectly, or you at least won't get the most out of your workout. I get mad at mine when he messes up counting my reps. He'd be b****ed out in the middle of the weight room if he told me to go work out on my own for a bit. :laugh:

^^ This..
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like she just wanted to split the cost of a trainer....i'd dump them both
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you're both paying for the trainer, you should make your concerns heard. It sounds to me she's getting more than her fair share out of the trainer. (Sounds like she has no qualms about that at all either.)

Again, if you're paying for it too, you're not getting your money's worth. :ohwell:

In this day and age, it should be a sin to waste money on something you're not seeing any value from. :/

If it were me, I would be dropping them both.

Getting to know yourself and your body isn't supposed to be a fight and it sounds like this is (ie, more complicated than it should be, thus in the long run not going to be as successful because it's always going to be a fight).

It's taking away from the pleasure that you need this to be. Just me....but it's rude to speak in another language in front of someone who doesn't understand.

I could not agree more. It sounds like you would be much better off with your own trainer and at least you would get your money's worth out of it as well as the instruction you nee.
    Good luck!
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    Oh HECK no. If you're paying for half the trainer, you should be getting at LEAST half the time. Is this through a gym? Is there another trainer you can switch to?

And honestly? I'd drop her as a gym partner before she drops you as a friend. People start getting crazy about their weight loss journey and her path is obviously not your path.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sounds like too much drama. That is why I exercise along unless there are classes that I may attend. Pay your own trainer.

So your gym partner is your girlfriend? Did she get you trainer or you?
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the trainer has a plan to chat up and have a romantic relationship with your Friend and TBH she seems keen, as she is not paying attention to training and her training partner but chatting to him in spanish so you don't know what they are chatting about. End the training contract and end the friendship, he is not providing the service you are paying for and she is not paying you the attention you need.
  • tremilla
    tremilla Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're not being melodramatic. This is ridiculous. I wouldn't continue this gym partnership if this behavior continues. It's rude for them to not include you in the workout and very rude to converse in a language you don't understand. If you're not happy, you should just go and workout on your own. Don't let their selfishness affect your workout.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Need an opinion to understand if my exasperation and frustration in this situation is justified, or if I am being too melodramatic.

I am supposed to work out with my gym partner together. There was one time she became irate because I started a workout a few minutes before her. That is understandable to an extent. We are supposed to be a team, and I stepped out of bounds by doing that.

Eventually, she opts to get a trainer to work with both of us, so we use the machines properly. Naturally, there are too many problems for my own liking.

First, instead of working with us equally, the trainer (a male) focuses more on my partner. The trainer asks about how many calories she burned, how her heart rate is. Me? Nowhere near as often. If the trainer has to ask her about how I am doing, he is not doing his job! Plus there are many times where I am left exercising on my own.

Second, my partner and the trainer constantly talk to each other in Spanish, which makes me feel like an outsider. Close friends or relatives speak Spanish in front of me – no problem. Chances are it is not my concern. It is not okay when someone is providing a paid service to two people, one who is not a native speaker. That is unprofessional!

Third, the trainer suggests exercises that are not a good fit. It is clear from tests that my upper body strength cannot support half my weight, yet I am planking and side planking, which require upper body support! It is difficult to focus on the core and the abdominals to keep balance, when my arms are collapsing! I can do other core exercises more effectively, (and that burn) while I continue to build the upper body strength.

Fourth, there was a time when that the trainer told me to use arm machines, then run on the treadmill and focused all the attention on my partner. My partner berated me for not working out together and that the trainer said I left on my own. This one leaves me wanting to curse a lot.

Then yesterday, my partner is too sick to work out. Yet, she made the drive to the gym so I can work out. She and the trainer spoke near the entrance for over an hour while I was working out. You would think the trainer or her would at least check on me to see how I am doing. Not even once, and considering that she *****ed about us working as a team.

I flat out asked my gym partner if I am a third wheel. Based on the above thoughts, I believe that is a legit question. That question "ruined her day" and put me in the doghouse, while I do not want to talk to her, because she refused to listen to my thoughts above.

So do I have a right to be exasperated, or am I being melodramatic?

Your gym partner sounds melodramatic and the trainer isn't apparently your trainer. Get a new gym partner and a new trainer.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    He's a douche, she's a bitch....
    tell them both to GTFO and go it on your own.
    You're better than that, you don't need them.
    this.

i'd have dropped her as a partner when she got mad about you starting a few minutes before her. what is she like 8 and need someone to hold her hand
  • Scrute11
    Scrute11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but you don't actually have a trainer. Your friend has a trainer,and you're subsidizing the cost.

Either go it alone, or get a trainer (one that's actually yours) and stop working out with your friend. Otherwise, you may not be friends with her that much longer (although given the drama, that may not be a bad thing :P )
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just ditch them both and work out by myself. I might tell a manager or owner about the trainer because he seems really unprofessional... clearly he is not doing his job at all. Do you need a trainer to go mess around with an arm machine and run on a treadmill? I don't think so. He is not training you at all.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think you should just go at it alone. I too tired the whole buddy thing and it didn't go well. I workout for me and no one else so I go at it alone.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are paying half of the fee for the trainer then you are being ripped off I think. Are you being dramatic it sounds like internally yes. Unless you have had and outward explosion about this then no.

The unprofessional behavior needs to be reported to the appropriate owner/manager of your gym.

Your training partner has a different agenda then you do.

Drop both but keep it classy not trashy

This! I would drop both the trainer and the partner. Tell them both that you aren't getting what you need and feel you need to try something different.
  • Sequence88
    Options
    Plain and simple, if you are paying for part of this training, your trainer is responsible to equally coach you both. If that isn't happening, I wouldn't be paying. I would probably also make a formal complaint to the gym that he works out of, he seems very unprofessional. I can tell you this would never be tolerated at the gym I go to, don't put up with it!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Go through your gym partner's purse and get your balls back....and move on from both her and the trainer ASAP
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    From what you've described, it definitely sounds like you were left out of the loop. If you're training two people, shouldn't you give equal time to each client? Just a thought.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Why dont you just say you dont want the trainer anymore and do it on your own
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Need an opinion to understand if my exasperation and frustration in this situation is justified, or if I am being too melodramatic.

I am supposed to work out with my gym partner together. There was one time she became irate because I started a workout a few minutes before her. That is understandable to an extent. We are supposed to be a team, and I stepped out of bounds by doing that.

Eventually, she opts to get a trainer to work with both of us, so we use the machines properly. Naturally, there are too many problems for my own liking.

First, instead of working with us equally, the trainer (a male) focuses more on my partner. The trainer asks about how many calories she burned, how her heart rate is. Me? Nowhere near as often. If the trainer has to ask her about how I am doing, he is not doing his job! Plus there are many times where I am left exercising on my own.

Second, my partner and the trainer constantly talk to each other in Spanish, which makes me feel like an outsider. Close friends or relatives speak Spanish in front of me – no problem. Chances are it is not my concern. It is not okay when someone is providing a paid service to two people, one who is not a native speaker. That is unprofessional!

Third, the trainer suggests exercises that are not a good fit. It is clear from tests that my upper body strength cannot support half my weight, yet I am planking and side planking, which require upper body support! It is difficult to focus on the core and the abdominals to keep balance, when my arms are collapsing! I can do other core exercises more effectively, (and that burn) while I continue to build the upper body strength.

Fourth, there was a time when that the trainer told me to use arm machines, then run on the treadmill and focused all the attention on my partner. My partner berated me for not working out together and that the trainer said I left on my own. This one leaves me wanting to curse a lot.

Then yesterday, my partner is too sick to work out. Yet, she made the drive to the gym so I can work out. She and the trainer spoke near the entrance for over an hour while I was working out. You would think the trainer or her would at least check on me to see how I am doing. Not even once, and considering that she *****ed about us working as a team.

I flat out asked my gym partner if I am a third wheel. Based on the above thoughts, I believe that is a legit question. That question "ruined her day" and put me in the doghouse, while I do not want to talk to her, because she refused to listen to my thoughts above.

So do I have a right to be exasperated, or am I being melodramatic?

Yes u have the right to be upset
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    bump