Do you CrossFit?

Options
13»

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Periodization I totalyy disagree with. I believe you should 'train' be ready for anything.

You can.

In a periodized manner. The lack of a plan doesn't make you ready for anything, it just means you lack a plan and likely aren't going to be very successful at achieving anything.

Limit strength, strength endurance, cardio endurance, power, flexibility, and balanced can all be trained simultaneously and efficiently in a planned out and deliberate manner.

And LOL @ kipping pullups, what on earth is the point of those, especially those silly shoulder breakers that Crossfitters do for speed. Its sad that Crossfit has taken the name of the most bad*** pullup in existence and turned it into their silly kipping crap. A butterfly pullup is a straight arm iron cross pullup on rings. One of the most insanely hard things that the human body is capable of doing. Not the silly shoulder destroying speed kip things that Crossfitters do. To do a real butterfly pullup takes years of dedication and a very specific plan to get there; no planless hodgepodge of training will even get you close.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whoa... sure didn't want to debate about CrossFit... just wanting to know... 'Do you CrossFit?'

Again I am lucky to have a great CrossFIt family!

Good luck with your workouts!
  • 6sixpackplease6
    Options
    I love crossfit too! I dont really do it right now because I am away from my home box at grad school and the price here is redic. but i was only paying 30$ a month at the one back home! I do pullups every day and try to get in a good crossfit wod about 3 times a week!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Lol to be fair Some of those funy gifs are taken from a YouTube vid by some guy deliberately mocking crossfit, not actually from any crossfit gym.

Crossfit has managed to get a lot of people who would never normally think about weight training (soccer moms/young kids whatever) off the couch and into a gym and you have to salute them for that. However some of the stuff that goes on is borderline idiotic/dangerous.

Periodisation is tHe absolute foundation of weightlifting/getting stronger. I'm not sure how anyone can 'disagree' with it.
  • sugarcrystal8
    sugarcrystal8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much negativity about CrossFit is a generalization. There are good boxes and bad boxes. I went to a bad box, and didn't look into it again after my first visit for another few months. Then tried a new box and loved it. The coaches are great, they emphasize form above everything else and you'll be stuck using PVC pipes or light barbells for awhile before they ever let you put weight on it. The WOD's are planned out so you're not using the same muscle group over and over in a row. The classes are kept at around 8 people so the coach can watch everyone's form. If form starts to suffer because you're pushing yourself too hard or tiring out, they'll call your name and tell you that. They'd rather you go slow, do less reps and have proper form then try for some personal record.

I've been doing it 4 months and I absolutely adore it and the community. I never get bored because each time I go it's something different, whereas at the regular gym, even working with a trainer it was the same thing over and over. It's not for everybody, but if anyone is thinking about trying it then try it and decide for yourself. I honestly was a lazy work out type person so I am amazed at how much I ended up loving it. My body is completely transforming and I am so much stronger and my endurance is 3x what it used to be which I notice now on my weekly hikes.