Michael Clarke Duncan Dead of Heart Attack

Options
Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That's sad :( People die for all sorts of reasons though.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I literally just saw that on the news. I can't believe he's gone. He was such a great actor. I loved him in the Green Mile.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I hadn't heard.

But just because he had big muscles, doesn't mean he was healthy. He also probably had a good deal of excess fat to go with his muscles. Who knows what his diet or cardio vascular health was like? Also, genetics often plays a big roll in these kind of things.
  • misty0413
    Options
    how sad. I don't know. maybe he had an undiagnosed heart condition.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard this. Makes me really sad--I always liked him. All I know is that health is not guaranteed to any of us, and we've got to live and appreciate every single day.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    that is so sad....He was an awesome people, will be missed by many
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    That is so sad, he was always one of my favs.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know he was in hospital for previous heart problems, and was hoping he would pull through. This is so sad, he was such a likeable actor =(
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget when I heard that one of the trainers at the gym I went to had died of a heart attack. He was fit, muscular, not old, but he just.............died! It's a shock always, but it happens for no reason sometimes.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't know who he is, I'm afraid, but if he was really into bodybuilding there could be steroids and growth hormone involved, a nasty combination for your heart. or it would just be - "stuff happens"
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Its just scary because my husband is a former professional athlete and he works out all the time, but started suffering chest pains one day after workout. Turns out his blood pressure was through the roof and he didn't even know he had high blood pressure. He always thought he was so healthy and fit. Now he is on HB meds.

I don't know Michael Clarke Duncan's diet, but I think most of us would assume someone with a body like his wouldn't have to worry about having a heart attack and dying so young.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Oh dear :(
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.
    Atherosclerosis affects all people who eat animal based foods, regardless of fitness level.
  • happypath101
    Options
    You can be in marvelous shape and have heart disease or a virus that goes to your heart. It's horribly sad. I think that's why you have to exercise for what it does for you NOW and not think that it makes you invicible.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget when I heard that one of the trainers at the gym I went to had died of a heart attack. He was fit, muscular, not old, but he just.............died! It's a shock always, but it happens for no reason sometimes.

A few years back I joined a new gym with my sister and we made an appointment with a trainer since all new members got a free session. He was a young guy, looked really fit. When we went to go to our appointment they said he dropped dead the day before at the gym.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Remember to LIVE EVERY DAY....we never know when our last day will be. :brokenheart:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I hadn't heard.

But just because he had big muscles, doesn't mean he was healthy. He also probably had a good deal of excess fat to go with his muscles. Who knows what his diet or cardio vascular health was like? Also, genetics often plays a big roll in these kind of things.

He appeared to have a rather low body fat and was a vegetarian the last few years because of health problems.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've just realized who he is! A brilliant actor and Green mile was an amazing adaptation of a great book.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just saw this on my local news a few minutes ago. So sad. He was a big, big guy though, it's pretty common.