September Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Somewhat n00b question here. I ride on and off-road in a local park and hardly ever the same route so I've not been tracking distance.
    How do people track mileage? MapMyRun/Ride on smartphones? Are there other, better gizmos?

Garmin 705 but then I am a cycling nut.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Somewhat n00b question here. I ride on and off-road in a local park and hardly ever the same route so I've not been tracking distance.
    How do people track mileage? MapMyRun/Ride on smartphones? Are there other, better gizmos?

I downloaded a free pedometer app on my phone that has a GPS link. Ok, so I ignore the steps (obviously) but it plots my route on google maps and hives me distance and average speed which is all I'm really interested at this stage!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am in for this one

1/9 10.9 miles
    2/9 12.7 miles

3/9 22.8 miles
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Coder - I know I find mountain biking harder and slower but I count all of the miles the same.

Pamela - looks 10 is a new high? Awesome!
    [/quote]

Yay! It was a new high, the first 10 miler! Only started at the weekend, and apart from the odd one or two short rides on holiday it's the first time I've properly ridden for about 15 years!
    And it was on a mountain bike.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in. Again even though I didn,t get 300 last month, I am setting my goal again for September at 300

8/1- 8.6 miles - 12.3 ave.
    8/3- 65.7 miles - 14.7 ave

74.3 miles for Sept. - 1587.7 YTD
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Add me for 400 miles in September. I log rides in Endomondo, too.

YTD miles: 2306 mi

exercise.png
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Daily goal 12
    Daily avg. 16.1
    Monthly goal 400
    Total so far 48.3

9/1 - 25.4
    9/2 - 10.5
    9/3 - 12.4

Made my daily goal today:smile:
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I have a bike computer on my bike that tells how many miles I have ridden. I can reset it at the beginning of each ride.
  • kellis2038
    Options
    Ok. I will give this challenge a tr. My goal will be 350 miles.
    So far this week 11.21 miles, i was planning my first 30 mile ride but got a flat 11 miles in.
    I also use endomondo to track rides
  • ferb03
    Options
    I use an app for my smartphone called sportracker. Tried Cardiotrainer but it wouldn't work with my specific phone. Sometimes use my son's old Garmin 205. All of the above are very convenient. Hope this helps.
  • codercpc
    Options
    9/1/12. 25.7 miles
    9/2/12 3.7 miles on mountain bike
    9/3/12 5.57 miles

Total so far 34.97 - 165.03 to go...
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Goal 600miles

September 1 - 57.5 miles 16.7mph avg 1569 calories - 3 hours 30 minutes
    September 2 - 43 miles 15mph avg. Recovery ride 1089 calories - 2hours 50 minutes
    September 3 - 42 miles. 18 avg. annual BBQ ride. 25miles there, eat, 17 miles home.... Keep a fast pace to burn off the pastries and sweets the local church ladies make...

Total For Month : 142.5 miles

Calories (not that it matters I do not eat them) are based on the rough formula of 30 calories per mile ridden. It may be more or less on any particulary day so I let it just average out in the end
    Edited by andrewlazenby on Sun 09/02/12 01:48 PM
  • kellis2038
    Options
    I use endomondo, I have found it the best for me. Works on and Iphone, also can use a Bluetooth heart rate monitor, and they even have a cadence device you can get for your bike.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Goal: 200 miles

With the sunrise coming later and the sunset coming earlier, getting "out" to ride may be limited to the weekends now (and longer rides) ... But I am heading back to spin class on Mon., Wed. and Fri. mornings, so I'll also be using mileage from those rides towards my totals.

Good Luck to everyone !!!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I spun out 260+ last month, going to shoot for 300 this month. Going to be tough as I'm going out of town for a long weekend plus got a slow start. Got to getr my riding in before the weather starts to turn. As of this morning have done 21.4 miles soe it's a goot start!
  • rmillsaps04
    Options
    Put me down for 600 again. I have the MS 150 ride on the 22-23 of september where i plan to do 200 miles so i should not have any problem. Loving the cooler weather!

I'm doing the MS ride too! 75 miles on Sat & 75 on Sunday! I'm a little nervous for the climbs on day 1, as I did the 40 last year and am not familiar with the San Fran riding area. Any tips??
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options

The bike shop where I bought my bike attached a computer to my bike. It gives high mph, average mph, distance etc. and even though I can reset the miles after each ride, it also has an odometer that keeps track of the total miles of all rides.
  • codercpc
    Options
    9/1/12- 25.7 miles
    9/2/12- 3.7 miles on mountain bike
    9/3/12- 5.57 miles
    9/4/12 8.96 miles

Total so far 43.93 - 156.07 to go...
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am in late again - thanks to Isaac's much needed rains and a 3-day 1200 mile round trip visit to help my elderly parents. Starting tomorrow.