Husband wants me to wear sexier clothes but I just can't

Options

Replies

• I'm sorry, I disagree with everyone here.

If you don't do it, he'll go somewhere else? REALLY?
    Is he a total *kitten*?

We all go through phases in life, different stages, different times....if every time we were in a slump we thought....well, if i don't get out of this and FAST, he's going to find a happier person with less drama. REALLY? Whatever happened to through thick and thin, until death do us part.

Nobody should make ANYONE feel guilty and as if he will leave because it's something THEY didn't do.

IF a man leaves over something like this, or finds it elsewhere....point blank, he's a total DOUCHE. When you love someone, you go through the ups and the DOWNS with them....you don't move on to someone else who isn't going through a down at that particular moment.

I agree with this.

A lot of things about this thread make me angry, because I think every self respecting partner should be on these ladies' teams.
    First: "if you don't take care of your man someone else will;" Fine, let them. He's a *kitten*. Second, if he doesn't take care of you, TONS OF PEOPLE WILL JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO. Trust me. Don't let this guy apply some elitist Eurocentric mysoginistic beauty standard to you, and certainly don't internalize it. Seriously. People don't look or act how tv makes them out. Make a profile on okcupid or some other silly dating site and seriously, the new beaus will come crooning at your profile, I guarantee it! Even if you don't want to date them, just prove something to yourself- you're desirable no matter your size, age, or lingerie. Third, maybe you should ask yourself what this partner has done to take care of you recently, because lowering your self esteem sounds like a pretty handy tool to keep you subordinate. No one can make you feel bad about yourself, and when they do don't wallow in it. Meditate on it, if he doesn't like you after you obviously care so much about him, screw him, don't let that make you feel bad about you.

Even if a relationship is a give and take about getting out of your comfort zone-- low self esteem isn't a comfort zone thing. It borders on emotional abuse. Don't take it! Communicate how you feel when he asks you these things, tell him you worry about him not desiring you, and if that's what he wants you to feel, bail.

Even if this sounds "hysterical" (I'm a big angry bra burner by nature and sometimes I get on these message boards and read these women hating on themselves and want to hold them in my big feminist arms) seriously imagine if you received this in an email from your daughter (if you don't have one, take a minute to imagine what she'd be like aka amazing) and how you'd feel about her partner after reading a thing like this.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Why not just try a nice black v neck and flattering jeans with some heels when he gets home. Clean and freshen yourself up and feel pretty for starters. Feminine appeal is sexy. It doesn't have to be uncomfortable. My version of dressy for my husband is his t shirt with some shorts and doing my hair and make up. It's simple and he loves it.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest counseling for both of you. You shouldn't hate your body so much. He shouldn't constantly remind you of your weight.
    This would be my suggestion as well. I think you have big problems here. You have a poor self-image because of your weight and your husband isn't trying to help build it up with his letting you know he doesn't like big women. How sexy you feel does NOT just come from within when you have a partner - they can make you feel sexy when you don't or vice versa.

I really think you need better communication and someone to help you work toward building up your self-confidence and him supporting you more.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    I'm sorry, I disagree with everyone here.

We all go through phases in life, different stages, different times....if every time we were in a slump we thought....well, if i don't get out of this and FAST, he's going to find a happier person with less drama. REALLY? Whatever happened to through thick and thin, until death do us part.

Nobody should make ANYONE feel guilty and as if he will leave because it's something THEY didn't do.

When you love someone, you go through the ups and the DOWNS with them....you don't move on to someone else who isn't going through a down at that particular moment.

EXACTLY!!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Your husband finds you sexy! That's AWESOME! I say go for it. Get out of your comfort zone a bit. You don't have to dress skanky, just maybe a little more edgy than your normal go-to's. Baby steps, huh?

Our men get out of their comfort zones for us all the time and we appreciate it. My vote is that you return the favor. Who knows? When you see his reaction maybe it'll help boost your confidence a bit.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Why the heck should you try to please him when he isn't supporting you? Although, I often do feel better about myself when I get all made up once in a while.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Sexiness is 90 percent from the brain.

Exactly.

Which is why this: "I know he's disappointed in me, he doesn't like heavy women and he makes that very clear to me all the time." means that however much he begs and whines, he is a man who isn't going to be getting his wife into sexy clothes any time soon! :bigsmile:
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Is he a total *kitten*?

IF a man leaves over something like this, or finds it elsewhere....point blank, he's a total DOUCHE. When you love someone, you go through the ups and the DOWNS with them....you don't move on to someone else who isn't going through a down at that particular moment.

I agree with this.

A lot of things about this thread make me angry, because I think every self respecting partner should be on these ladies' teams.
    First: "if you don't take care of your man someone else will;" Fine, let them. He's a *kitten*. Second, if he doesn't take care of you, TONS OF PEOPLE WILL JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO. Trust me. Don't let this guy apply some elitist Eurocentric mysoginistic beauty standard to you, and certainly don't internalize it. Seriously. People don't look or act how tv makes them out. Make a profile on okcupid or some other silly dating site and seriously, the new beaus will come crooning at your profile, I guarantee it! Even if you don't want to date them, just prove something to yourself- you're desirable no matter your size, age, or lingerie. Third, maybe you should ask yourself what this partner has done to take care of you recently, because lowering your self esteem sounds like a pretty handy tool to keep you subordinate. No one can make you feel bad about yourself, and when they do don't wallow in it. Meditate on it, if he doesn't like you after you obviously care so much about him, screw him, don't let that make you feel bad about you.

Even if a relationship is a give and take about getting out of your comfort zone-- low self esteem isn't a comfort zone thing. It borders on emotional abuse. Don't take it! Communicate how you feel when he asks you these things, tell him you worry about him not desiring you, and if that's what he wants you to feel, bail.

Even if this sounds "hysterical" (I'm a big angry bra burner by nature and sometimes I get on these message boards and read these women hating on themselves and want to hold them in my big feminist arms) seriously imagine if you received this in an email from your daughter (if you don't have one, take a minute to imagine what she'd be like aka amazing) and how you'd feel about her partner after reading a thing like this.

I love this post. The bit about the dating web sites is soooooooooooo true. >>here's where I hang my head in shame<<

Years ago I did this. I was just divorced and worried and wondered........could I.........did I..........should I.......CAN I? So I signed up on a couple...I even used a current photo....nothing sexy or revealing, just a bit of red lace and silk :blushing: It wasnt long and I was swamped with invites and whispers et al. Seriously......it was hysterical

Im not on this site because of my particularly svelte skinny figure but Ive never let it deter me or make me feel the way your own husband is "making" you feel. Seriously.....any changes you make.........make them for you and they'll shine for him. When you FEEL it.....others cant help but see it / feel it. Thing is.......do you want to? Do you want to impress him? Do you want to be "sexy" for him? Or have you slipped so far down that slippery slope that you just dont care anymore? Remember...he cant MAKE you FEEL anything..how you react to what he says or does is entirely YOUR CHOICE (I know how that sounds and I hate hearing it but it is true)

Please........do something to make yourself feel better
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    At first I thought that if he's asked you to then he must find you sexy so why not? But then you say he doesn't find big women attractive? Can't say I'd want to if that was the case either.

He doesn't seem to appreciate you fully, I find my partner attractive no matter what and I would never want to make them feel otherwise. I wouldn't do it, until he makes you feel wanted and attractive.

He won't go elsewhere because you didn't wear skimpy underwear. If he does he was never worth your worries anyway.
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Is he a total *kitten*?

I agree with this.

I also agree with this.
    don't let people tell you if you don't do it, he'll find someone that will! IF he does, you would certainly be better off without a man like that!! Stick up for yourself, don't let him put you down but also you need more confidence in yourself. Dressing up every now again could up your confidence, but do it for yourself and no-one else!!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I've read I'd say the situation is this (I'm sure people will, if they choose, take this to mean the guy is a douche, or that I'm a douche for writing this, but it's human nature at the end of the day, and in fact to me I can see the positive reason behind all this which is that he wants to stay with her):

He clearly loves you and wants to stay with you, otherwise he wouldn't care to make the comments. When he is making the comments about make-up and being a hippy, when he is wanting you to wear sexy underwear (which seems to contradict with him wanting you to lose weight) and when he is appearing to be disappointed with lack of progress, this all stems from the same point.

He knows he is with you for the rest of his life, and he is perhaps disappointed that you have let yourself go. He WANTS to find you more attractive, so he WANTS you to put the effort in and lose weight. When you don't eat right and don't lose, or even put weight back on - that is just you saying to him that you don't care enough to make the effort. The same goes for make-up and dressing up; he wants you to make an effort FOR him. You seem like you've got comfortable and don't want to impress him any more. Asking you to wear sexy underwear is just him trying to give you another chance to show that you care about him.

My gf, before coming to mine or before I go over always gets make up on and dresses nice etc, and I appreciate the hell out of that. Not because she wouldn't be hot without it, but because it shows that she still cares what I think. There's nothing worse than that point in a relationship where you just don't give a crap about if the other one still finds you attractive, because "hell, they're stuck with me now - we're married - I've got them locked in".

Clearly weight loss is destined to fail if you're just doing it for someone else, it has to be for yourself, but perhaps you should evaluate why you don't care about dressing up/makeup and how that may leak over into the rest of your appearance including weight. Maybe there's something in there as to why you have been stalling?

I really want to add that this genuinely isn't a criticism. I don't judge anyone for how they feel about themselves or others because it's not usually something you can help. Often you don't even notice.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know he's disappointed in me, he doesn't like heavy women and he makes that very clear to me all the time. I'm not trying to lose weight for him I'm doing it for me, and he doesn't make it easy, let me tell you. He's glad I'm working out and trying but since there haven't been lots of results I can tell he's very disappointed in me.

If this is actually how he feels and not just your perception of how he feels, then I can't tell you what I really think about this without bashing the crap out of him. Sorry.

Yes! I read that and was like OK I definitely cant respond to this because yes I will bash a man who makes it clear to his heavy-set WIFE he doesnt like heavy women. God help my husband if he even tries to disrespect me like that.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you husband can't accept and love you the way you are then he doesn't deseve you at all. Wear what you're comfortable wearing and don't change yourself for the amusment of someone else.

And should he just accept that his wife won't try something to make him happy? There are two people in a relationship, surely the man deserves to be happy too...Is it really that tough to put on lingerie in your own bedroom, he's not asking for whips and chains and 3somes with models! Besides, he is obviously attracted to you or he wouldn't even be asking you to dress up for him in the first place! Compromise, it doesn't have to be a thong or some fishnet bodystocking...just a little tasteful black lace would probably do the trick!

ETA: The man just wants a little something hot from his wife...it's totally normal. I guarantee if you do it he'll be a bit more supportive of you losing weight in the hope that you'll do it again ;)

Yeah but he is saying "I dont like the way you look, im disappointed in you now go put on some lingerie" So you can see why she isnt running to Victoria Secret for him. Now if he said "you're losing so much weight you look so hot and you really turn me on. Let's go buy something sexy" Don't you think he wouldve gotten what he wanted?
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you husband can't accept and love you the way you are then he doesn't deseve you at all. Wear what you're comfortable wearing and don't change yourself for the amusment of someone else.

And should he just accept that his wife won't try something to make him happy? There are two people in a relationship, surely the man deserves to be happy too...Is it really that tough to put on lingerie in your own bedroom, he's not asking for whips and chains and 3somes with models! Besides, he is obviously attracted to you or he wouldn't even be asking you to dress up for him in the first place! Compromise, it doesn't have to be a thong or some fishnet bodystocking...just a little tasteful black lace would probably do the trick!

ETA: The man just wants a little something hot from his wife...it's totally normal. I guarantee if you do it he'll be a bit more supportive of you losing weight in the hope that you'll do it again ;)

Yeah but he is saying "I dont like the way you look, im disappointed in you now go put on some lingerie" So you can see why she isnt running to Victoria Secret for him. Now if he said "you're losing so much weight you look so hot and you really turn me on. Let's go buy something sexy" Don't you think he wouldve gotten what he wanted?

Not judging by the OP's comments. She says she doesn't want to wear it because she doesn't feel sexy, not because he asked badly...
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you wont do it, someone else will.... #foodforthought

Wow.

If my wife won't do something I want her to do I WON'T go somewhere else. My wife and I fool around 1-2 nights a week. I'd like 4-5 (Ok, 8-9 LOL). Do I go somehere else...NO We are married and that's just not an option. I love her and she is my everything. You remember...for better or wores, thru think or thin. Geesh.
    Just sit down and have a talk with him. Explain how you feel. Tell him how he's making you feel. You 2 should be going thru this life style change together. Communication is key. Talk.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    :huh: Right here I go, there is nothing wrong with wearing sexy clothes, I am a big girl and do like to wear sexy clothes. BUT I do it for me and yes it makes my husband happy but he does not tell me to buy sexy clothes, he would not do that to me.

When I mean sexy clothes I dont mean short skirts etc, I buy some nice underwear or a nice top which helps to enhance my figure instead of showing all my lumps and bumps.

You dont need someone to keep reminding you in a negative way, he should be supporting you I dont agree you have to please your man, what a load of rubbish, relationships are based on TWO people making each other happy, not just one.

You both need to make each other happy whether its around sexy clothes etc etc. Take care of yourself
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My SO used to say similar things but it wasn't that he was unhappy with how I looked. He just wanted me to emphasize it by being more feminine. When I was at my smallest I would wear dresses do my make up and hair and as I got bigger I stopped doing that. I just didn't see the point. I still saw disgusting in the mirror. I tried to dress up on occasion for him and I think you should too. Now that I am losing weight and 7lbs away from my ultimate goal weight I am way more feminine.

The way you look and feel has a direct effect on the effort you put into your looks. It's an evil cycle when you're on the wrong end of it.

Compromise is key here. I wish you the best of luck.
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I've read I'd say the situation is this (I'm sure people will, if they choose, take this to mean the guy is a douche, or that I'm a douche for writing this, but it's human nature at the end of the day, and in fact to me I can see the positive reason behind all this which is that he wants to stay with her):

He clearly loves you and wants to stay with you, otherwise he wouldn't care to make the comments. When he is making the comments about make-up and being a hippy, when he is wanting you to wear sexy underwear (which seems to contradict with him wanting you to lose weight) and when he is appearing to be disappointed with lack of progress, this all stems from the same point.

He knows he is with you for the rest of his life, and he is perhaps disappointed that you have let yourself go. He WANTS to find you more attractive, so he WANTS you to put the effort in and lose weight. When you don't eat right and don't lose, or even put weight back on - that is just you saying to him that you don't care enough to make the effort. The same goes for make-up and dressing up; he wants you to make an effort FOR him. You seem like you've got comfortable and don't want to impress him any more. Asking you to wear sexy underwear is just him trying to give you another chance to show that you care about him.

My gf, before coming to mine or before I go over always gets make up on and dresses nice etc, and I appreciate the hell out of that. Not because she wouldn't be hot without it, but because it shows that she still cares what I think. There's nothing worse than that point in a relationship where you just don't give a crap about if the other one still finds you attractive, because "hell, they're stuck with me now - we're married - I've got them locked in".

Clearly weight loss is destined to fail if you're just doing it for someone else, it has to be for yourself, but perhaps you should evaluate why you don't care about dressing up/makeup and how that may leak over into the rest of your appearance including weight. Maybe there's something in there as to why you have been stalling?

I really want to add that this genuinely isn't a criticism. I don't judge anyone for how they feel about themselves or others because it's not usually something you can help. Often you don't even notice.

I absolutely agree. It's not a matter of he doesnt care, he clearly does...DO YOU CARE enough to cultivate that marriage every day? Listen , I'm over 50 and balooned up to 220 lbs 3 years into our marriage. My husband was 31 when we met (I was 40) and he never complained about my weight.. What he DID complain about was the fact that I complained about my weight so much.. And my husband is pretty well built(muscular , tan, construction worker) I was embarrassed to show my crappy body to this man who CLEARLY loved and wanted me.. It wasnt his problem, I was MY problem. I just couldnt see that. I almost lost him because he felt that I thought that HE was repulsive..Can you believe that one??.. Talk to your man,, Listen to him. And honey, we have no problem telling our men that a certain shirt looks crappy on them , or "go shave, wear this, don't wear that. But we are hurt when they say anything . It's a 2way street.
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honey I disagree with the ***** who told you he will go elsewhere. If he goes elsewhere you are better off without him. Be proud but dont do anything until you are ready. If someone makes you feel like your trying to keep them they shouldnt be in your life even if it is your husband.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind...your husband sees only the woman he loves.