bump
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • monicamcisaac
    monicamcisaac Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    what is bump? Is there some way of saving the post in MFP so you can read it later? Sorry, I'm new to this message-board lark.
    Thanks for posting by the way, it looks great.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    need to read this later...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    But what about cardio? Cardio is good for everyone because it improves your overall endurance and ability to exert yourself over an extended period. It promotes cardiovascular health and contributes to increased bone density. Additionally, it pretty much makes everything else function better: cardio helps stabilize hormone levels (increasing testosterone and increasing insulin sensitivity), improves endurance and recovery, helps the body fuel calories away from the fat cells and into the muscle, helps with weight maintenance/preventing the "yo-yo effect", generally keeps you healthy, and finally burns calories.

Cardio is neither required for burning fat, nor prohibited when building muscle - that's just an excuse by lazy people. All in all, resistance training is more important for looking pretty (yes, even for girls and pretty boys), but for general health, cardio is essential. Oh, and doing cardio in a fasted state provides no benefit, contrary to popular belief.
    Finally a common-sense weight-lifting guide that also recognises the awesomeness of cardio. Thank you!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    tl;dr....for now - will be returning when not at work.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    bump
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Love it, thank you :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Nice info :)
  • taaaters
    Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to share all of that info!
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My only issue is what claims do you have that various plant based proteins are inferior to milk? Protein is made from amino acids and you can ge those amino acids in various foods including every single vegetable beyond what is found in fruits (lower on protein scale), legumes, seeds, nuts and whole grains. An amino acid is an amino acid, regardless of the source.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share this. Really interesting and useful.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My only issue is what claims do you have that various plant based proteins are inferior to milk? Protein is made from amino acids and you can ge those amino acids in various foods including every single vegetable beyond what is found in fruits (lower on protein scale), legumes, seeds, nuts and whole grains. An amino acid is an amino acid, regardless of the source.

AFAIK plant sources have different amino acid profiles than meat sources. Feel free to verify.

Other comments for OP

First - Nice work

Now for small disagreement ;)

Pro requirement is more like 1g/lb of LBM vs total bodyweight. That is a minimum. More is fine and in some cases (Muscle building) preferred

Also a person should try for a minimum of .45g fat\lb LBM since as you say it is NEEDED for the body to function optimally. Again this is a minimum with more being fine and in some cases better.

Technically a person does not NEED any carbs, although living with none would suck for most people, and if you did, you would need serious supps for MICROnutrients. Also, while I am certainly not on the carbs are the devil\low carb works for everyone train, lower carb\higher fat is better for some people due to lower insulin sensitivity and lower insulin secretion. AFAIK though, these can not easily be tested, so a person has to experiment with it for themselves.

Lastly, if someone has eaten in the 1-3hr window preworkout, the post workout window is more like 24hrs vs 1.5 as the nutrients from the preworkout meal are still being released into the blood during and after, and increased protein synthesis from training lasts at least that long. That of course does not mean post workout meals\shakes are conterproductive.

All that aside I'll still say again, nice work.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Thank you!! Cleared up a couple of points for me :).
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

AFAIK plant sources have different amino acid profiles than meat sources. Feel free to verify.

They do but eating a mix should provide someone with all the required amino acids. I'm just not sure why milk would be considered 'better' unless someone says it has the perfect amino acid profile. That doesn't mean someone couldn't get all the proper amounts of amino acids eating plant based protein sources.