Some advice about Doing Pushups

Options
Hi all,

I am on my way to lose weight. Yet, when it comes to doing pushups, I have a problem. I can do just 2. What should I do? I cnat even do week1 day 1 of one hundred pushups. Feeling frustrated and depressed. What shoud bI do? Any ideas?? Help Please!!!

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Try doing them with your hands on an elevated surface, and move lower and lower (as you are building strength) until you can do them on the floor. You could also add weight lifting to increase your strength.
  • MSimm62385
    Options
    Same way you treat any muscle building I guess. Do your MAX number of push-ups, until you drop to the ground out of exhaustion. Keep your protein intake high. Gett a good night's sleep, let your muscles repair themselves and try again for more.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    your lucky i cant even do 1 haha i have NO upper body strength at all, have proper sparrow arms, im trying to build up my strength with weights
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    When i started the 100 push up challange, I did it for the first time all the was through by leaning twords a wall and "pushing-up" away from it. It will still build muscle, but will be a lower intensity. Once you make it through that way you can increase the incline by pushing up against a desk or some stairs. Just maintain good form and keep increasing the incline. I can now do 100 girly push ups, all by working up to it slowly. Hang in there!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The 100 push-ups site does give alternatives to the regular push-up. So if you're following their program, listen to it.

I've started out doing push-ups against the table, after a week or two I could do girly push-ups with my knees on the ground, and just yesterday did the first 2 sorta real push-ups.

You're already ahead of me, so just build up your strenght and you'll be fine doing some push-ups before long.
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    I know this sounds weird but clench your buttocks....it really helped me. I can now do 7. Started on 3. Not amazing but waaaay better than I was
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    This blog post goes through a few different variations you can try and how to work up to a normal push-up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This blog post goes through a few different variations you can try and how to work up to a normal push-up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
    Hah, I was just about to post, thanks for the endorsement! :flowerforyou:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I can only do about 10 knee push ups before collapsing so have quit P90X almost half way through and am going to hit the 100 push up challenge instead, until I can do a few real ones. At the moment I can't see it happening, everytime I try I pull something in my abs. Sigh. But I'll keep going.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks for all your support. I feel better already. I was going thru the "I will never ever, ever, ever be able to do pushups." Now it is, "Let me try" So thanks to you all.

I'll start by easier pushups as most of you suggested, and (hopefully) graduate to the real ones. Specifically, I'll go through method suggested by BarryH in her blog. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Can anyone suggest weight routines to improve upper body strength? I want one with max 5lb wt in either hand and NO MORE. I'm ready to do more reps though
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Why max 5lb and NO MORE? Heavier = stronger. It really is the best way.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Lisa, it could be a psychological problem. I am *kitten* scared of weights and gym.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Lisa, it could be a psychological problem. I am *kitten* scared of weights and gym.

in what way?
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you can only do 2, i'd say just do 2 until you feel ready to have a try at 3. Then do 3 until you feel ready to have a go at 4 etc. In between times, build up your upper body strength in other ways.

You got this.
    Jx
  • jimmerwoo
    jimmerwoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No one's mentioned breathing. Absolutely crucial part of doing push ups. It's breathe in on the way up. Breathe slowly out on the way down as you lower yourself. Start on the knees or against a low wall or steps like someone suggested. You'll get there in no time. Rock on!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do mine with bent knees at the moment and will work up to straight legs, then onwards to who knows what lofty inclines and weights!!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I had little or no upper body strength and struggled doing pushups. I set a goal to do 5. When I could do 5 I set my goal to do 10, etc. Just keep pushing yourself to do one or two more and like any other muscle, you'll soon be able to do more.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    First.... do 2

Second, try pushups from the knees (they used to call them female pushups)

Try incline pushups.... hands on a bench, feet on the fllor

Keep going!!!

:)
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Yes, but I think it is best to ease into heavier weights, especially if the OP doesn't have the musculature to do more than a few push ups. I was in the same situation back in June, had to do the half push ups. Started with five pound weights for circuit training (which really worked my arms at the time, weak things that they were), and have graduated to heavier weights since, and can do full push ups now.
  • bblich02
    Options
    Hi all,

I am on my way to lose weight. Yet, when it comes to doing pushups, I have a problem. I can do just 2. What should I do? I cnat even do week1 day 1 of one hundred pushups. Feeling frustrated and depressed. What shoud bI do? Any ideas?? Help Please!!!

try to do as many regular pushups as you can. when you reached your max, place your knees on the ground and do as many pushups on your knees as you can.

my trainer told me to do this when i had one 2 years ago. made hugeee progress!